"Black box" interchangeable dark ride coming to Disney's Hollywood Studios?

Hotamber

Are we sure it is not what is replacing Star Tours? C3PO is as bare bones as robots get and Kennedy Space center has a Star Tours like ride with multiple screens. Also Star Tours already changes each time you ride so the programming is there. Plus it would fit right into generic muppet courtyard and present day LA at DHS. Could even be the Disney Plus stream and scream ride. It seems like every ride has to be cloned multiple times and there are several Star Tours and Galaxy's Edge really needs R2D2 and C3PO as Rex, Oga, Doc etc have never even been on screen or in a movie which makes people not care about visiting them. History says they take the cheapest option.

ToTBellHop

Are we sure it is not what is replacing Star Tours? C3PO is as bare bones as robots get and Kennedy Space center has a Star Tours like ride with multiple screens. Also Star Tours already changes each time you ride so the programming is there. Plus it would fit right into generic muppet courtyard and present day LA at DHS. Could even be the Disney Plus stream and scream ride. It seems like every ride has to be cloned multiple times and there are several Star Tours and Galaxy's Edge really needs R2D2 and C3PO as Rex, Oga, Doc etc have never even been on screen or in a movie which makes people not care about visiting them. History says they take the cheapest option.
It’s not going there.

SplashJacket

I would expect the ride to take the entire section of buildings. In other words, also one man's dream. Ariel alone seems far too small for a ride. I would also expect the ride's entrance to be where it is labeled on the picture. Doing that would allow the ride to be in a brand new land after animation courtyard ceases to exist. A new route to Toy Story Land on the northeast side of the building could be constructed which would eliminate the bland path Pixar place.

Kman101

couldn't they use the original animation building for this? That was a huge amount of space and property footage. Other than launch bay being in part of it isn't the area still prime real estate back there for this and or some other project down the road? It always seemed like a waste to me after the working studio closed. Management offices could go else where and not use up what could be attraction space etc.

My guess is this building is going away, unless they continue to promote the SW films and shows there for the forseeable future. But it'd be nice to see it reused in a better manner. And if the black box ride replaces Mermaid, they could reuse Launch Bay for a newer take on Walt Disney Presents. But they'll probably demo :joyfull:

PorterRedkey

View attachment 398980

I would expect the ride to take the entire section of buildings. In other words, also one man's dream. Ariel alone seems far too small for a ride. I would also expect the ride's entrance to be where it is labeled on the picture. Doing that would allow the ride to be in a brand new land after animation courtyard ceases to exist. A new route to Toy Story Land on the northeast side of the building could be constructed which would eliminate the bland path Pixar place.
I hate to believe it, but your diagram makes too much sense.

I really enjoy the blacklight puppets on the black background. However, Mermaid is loooooong past it’s prime. The last time I saw it 3 or 4 years ago the film looked awful even though the performances were great.

The thing that hurts my heart is the removal of One Mans Dream. It such and underrated attraction, especially if you can catch the Walt film between the never-ending movie previews.

Disney needs a permanent place in the parks to celebrate Walt and let the future generations learn about the man behind the mouse.

PorterRedkey

I personally would like to see a new Walt exhibit in Disney Springs. The one in San Franciso is fantastic if it would be anything like that it would be an amazing addition.
I’ve heard the San Fran museum is nice, but there are many guests who never make to DIsney Spring. IMHO, the parks would be a better location. It would let let more people experience an attraction educating guests about this visionary man.

Spash007

I really enjoy the blacklight puppets on the black background. However, Mermaid is loooooong past it’s prime. The last time I saw it 3 or 4 years ago the film looked awful even though the performances were great.

The thing that hurts my heart is the removal of One Mans Dream. It such and underrated attraction, especially if you can catch the Walt film between the never-ending movie previews.

Disney needs a permanent place in the parks to celebrate Walt and let the future generations learn about the man behind the mouse.

I was just thinking the same thing. Parks right now is all about better guest flow, and HS is awful, with the entrance into TSL the worst in my opinion. All they'd have to do is rip out part of Launch Bay, and potentially some of the old animation building, allowing them to put something new in there. And then the walkway goes past the new restaurant, into TSL and the area behind MMRR is all backstage. Which, the more I'm thinking about it makes even more sense, as the back of the Chinese Theater is one of the few remaining areas that feel like you're on an old sound stage a la MGM.

SplashJacket

but there are many guests who never make to DIsney Spring

Mainly would want it there for the accessibility even if you do not have park passes.

Or why not EPCOT... As part of the redo of Imagination Pavilion they could have an entire Walt Disney Museum and Imagineering Open House where the Kodak Theater is...leaving the big building for Figment and Dreamfinder... a sort of Imagination campus...

I could get behind this.

SteamboatJoe

If only there was a large, underutilized space right on Town Square to put One Man's Dream in....

nickys

Premium Member
I was just thinking the same thing. Parks right now is all about better guest flow, and HS is awful, with the entrance into TSL the worst in my opinion. All they'd have to do is rip out part of Launch Bay, and potentially some of the old animation building, allowing them to put something new in there. And then the walkway goes past the new restaurant, into TSL and the area behind MMRR is all backstage. Which, the more I'm thinking about it makes even more sense, as the back of the Chinese Theater is one of the few remaining areas that feel like you're on an old sound stage a la MGM.

But there’s already a whole lot of space between Launch Bay and RnR. Which could easily fit two or three rides in, couldn’t it? And has the benefit of being currently backstage, so they could tear things down and build without impacting the rest of the park. I’m sure the backstage stuff could be moved.

Agreed that Mermaid could do with a revamp. New show (Moana?). So that could be done pretty quick, a few months to revamp the theatre and create a new show. But why not use the currently unused space for something completely new?

That said, I would love to see a permanent exhibition to celebrate Walt and Roy.

SteamboatJoe

Yes. I understand this design is bad, but it is simply for reference. I made it a while back, and now I can use it to demonstrate the amount of space.

View attachment 400301

If you remove the lake area and have two rides in place of Shanghai POTC you can fit around 4 new rides in addition to Black Box.
I keep wondering if they will just land bank this area in hopes of figuring the Marvel issue out.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom