Bit the bullet and became an AP

disneygeek90

Original Poster
I’ve lived in Florida for 10 years and have had a Disney AP for all 10. I’ve gone to Universal maybe 2 or 3 days total in that span. However, I moved to Orlando for work last summer (I live about 2 miles from Sea World) and found myself a 10 minute drive from Universal. Once they started that 15 month promo, it almost seemed like a no brainer. I activated my AP yesterday! I was pretty tired and went there after 6 so I didn’t have to pay the $20 for parking for the first trip, but activated my pass and went in real fast to ride the Mummy and left.

I must say I did feel like I was cheating on Disney a little bit, but for $17 a month after the down payment it seemed like a great deal, even if I only go once a month or so. Excited to check out Kong and the new train (not a huge HP fan but they do a great job with it), as neither of those were open the last time I had been about 3 years ago.

Anyone have tips or hidden secrets/"must do's" in the parks?

imperius

They have an AP group and they do AP movie screenings often with Universal movies which is nice. You pass world at every QS restaurant inside a building unlike Disney which is also nice.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
I’ve lived in Florida for 10 years and have had a Disney AP for all 10. I’ve gone to Universal maybe 2 or 3 days total in that span. However, I moved to Orlando for work last summer (I live about 2 miles from Sea World) and found myself a 10 minute drive from Universal. Once they started that 15 month promo, it almost seemed like a no brainer. I activated my AP yesterday! I was pretty tired and went there after 6 so I didn’t have to pay the $20 for parking for the first trip, but activated my pass and went in real fast to ride the Mummy and left.

I must say I did feel like I was cheating on Disney a little bit, but for $17 a month after the down payment it seemed like a great deal, even if I only go once a month or so. Excited to check out Kong and the new train (not a huge HP fan but they do a great job with it), as neither of those were open the last time I had been about 3 years ago.

Cheating on Disney? What has Disney ever done for you! :joyfull: As for must-do..there is so much..I'd start with a Flaming Moe, then see if you can find the Doc Brown cameo at the Simpson's ride, shoot some aliens at MiB and then meet the aliens, after that grab your want and work your way through HP stopping at Florean Fortescue's for some unusual ice cream.

JoeCamel

Tips? Scrape that AP magnet off the back of your ride and see what it did to the paint.

You will find a thousand reasons to pop over to the parks, look for the details, it is as rich as WDW in the little things if you look for them. Most have a story behind them

disneygeek90

Original Poster
Thanks! I think I'll definitely be spending some evenings there soon. It looks like their lines really clear out by evening, as opposed to WDW. I love the MiB ride, so the "meet the aliens" thing sounds really cool!

rushtest4echo

Thanks! I think I'll definitely be spending some evenings there soon. It looks like their lines really clear out by evening, as opposed to WDW. I love the MiB ride, so the "meet the aliens" thing sounds really cool!

They got nothing in terms of night time entertainment to keep people there late. Yes, Universal craptastic spectacular qualifies as "nothing". :)

I've always just been shocked at their lack of evening activities outside of HHN and Mardi Gras. Hopefully with the new Potter projection show being developed along with the night time offerings at Volcano Bay they'll realize the value of staying open late and providing unique nighttime experiences to keep guests there spending. If anyone can tell, yes I'm still bitter at all of the years I visited the parks regularly yet had to struggle to find days when the parks was open for Hulk and Dragons night rides! That was before Potter though, at least they're open till 9 or 10 during busy periods now- though I'd still like to see entertainment to keep the parks lively at night.

disneygeek90

Original Poster
They got nothing in terms of night time entertainment to keep people there late. Yes, Universal craptastic spectacular qualifies as "nothing". :)

I've always just been shocked at their lack of evening activities outside of HHN and Mardi Gras. Hopefully with the new Potter projection show being developed along with the night time offerings at Volcano Bay they'll realize the value of staying open late and providing unique nighttime experiences to keep guests there spending. If anyone can tell, yes I'm still bitter at all of the years I visited the parks regularly yet had to struggle to find days when the parks was open for Hulk and Dragons night rides! That was before Potter though, at least they're open till 9 or 10 during busy periods now- though I'd still like to see entertainment to keep the parks lively at night.
Yeah, I ended up going last night after work and IoA was only open till 8... not nearly late enough imo, especially during what is still Spring Break times. They definitely could use a bit more night life, it seems as if many of the guests are heading out by the evening, where that's where Disney truly shines (WS at night is my perfect night).

However, I rode the new Kong ride and did enjoy that. Though I wish Universal didn't rely quite so heavily on 3D.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Yeah, I ended up going last night after work and IoA was only open till 8... not nearly late enough imo, especially during what is still Spring Break times. They definitely could use a bit more night life, it seems as if many of the guests are heading out by the evening, where that's where Disney truly shines (WS at night is my perfect night).

However, I rode the new Kong ride and did enjoy that. Though I wish Universal didn't rely quite so heavily on 3D.

I personally enjoy having options like Kong now that I'm too old for thrill rides.

disneygeek90

Original Poster
I personally enjoy having options like Kong now that I'm too old for thrill rides.

Oh I love a good ride that’s not a high impact roller coaster, I just don’t think everything has to be in 3D. I’m a sucker for animatronics. The Kong one at the end was fantastic. But I think with the course of the ride the 3D was the obvious choice.

IAmFloridaBorn

Depending on your pass type, show it everywhere and use the discount..

I just activated my pass yesterday and went and had a blast. Only did 3 rides but thats because we spent so much time doing little things we never did before. Enjoying the stores and shops and beauty of some of the incredible places just to sit and people watch.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Depending on your pass type, show it everywhere and use the discount..

I just activated my pass yesterday and went and had a blast. Only did 3 rides but thats because we spent so much time doing little things we never did before. Enjoying the stores and shops and beauty of some of the incredible places just to sit and people watch.

The premier AP is worth every penny in my opinion.

IAmFloridaBorn

The premier AP is worth every penny in my opinion.
Few years ago I had a preferred pass to Uni, and it was okay. But I just got a new premier pass and just the first day it nearly paid for itself. The Free Valet, 15% of food and merch, and of course express after 4 really worked out. We saved over $65 yesterday on food, movie tickets, and merchandise and parking. I wouldn't do anything less than a premier now.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Few years ago I had a preferred pass to Uni, and it was okay. But I just got a new premier pass and just the first day it nearly paid for itself. The Free Valet, 15% of food and merch, and of course express after 4 really worked out. We saved over $65 yesterday on food, movie tickets, and merchandise and parking. I wouldn't do anything less than a premier now.

Also the included HHN ticket.

Scuttle

Enjoy Kong. It's the best AA in Orlando.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom