Biggest Mistakes in WDW

rct247

Magic Kingdom:
-<<Removing Mickey & Minnie's houses completely.>> Many guests are very sad to hear they are gone. Our Toontown was awful compared to other Toontowns, but those houses held lots of memories for people. I'm surprised there are no plans to rebuild them in any form at Walt Disney World in the future.

-<<TTA Peoplemover Narration>> As many people have pointed out. Other than to update the spiel to be more accurate with the current offerings in Tomorrowland, the new spiel lacks character and story. It was something that could have been updated to at least be in the same style and story to reflect and updated Tomorrowland.

-<<Not updating Speedway cars to electric>> With everything going green these days and with fuel prices rising. I'm surprised this hasn't happened. It just seems it would be an all around smart business decision for cutting costs and staying futuristic with theme.

-<<New Haunted Mansion Interactive Queue>> The details and overall idea are awesome however I feel that there was a mistake made with this queue that didn't happen over at Pooh. First off, the Haunted Mansion Interactive Queue is voluntary. There is a bypass. Second, it is all crammed in one small area rather than being throughout the queue. What is the point? Guests are rushed through or choose not to go through it all together. I feel that this was a big mistake. Pooh on the other hand was quite the opposite and is one of the biggest wins in WDW.

Epcot:

-<<Journey into Imagination Redo>> Everyone seems to hate it when you compare it to the previous version. It doesn't draw in the people as it used to and in the process they took away the post-show upstairs. Plus no one likes the skunk smell. Did it really need to be changed in the first place?

-<<Removing Horizons for Mission: Space>> Horizons was an amazing attraction. While it didn't get many visitors in its late years, it was due to its high guest capacity, lack of updates, and sponsor. It was a beautiful masterpiece. To be replaced by a space pavilion is one thing, but Mission: Space hasn't lived up to that. It has had some negative press incidents, it limits many guests with heights, disabilities, or those prone to motion sickness. I believe the capacity is lowered as well. It too doesn't get much of wait as it should.

-<<Discontinuing Tapastry of Nations>> It could have easily stuck around a few more years. It was beautiful and really added a lot to World Showcase.

-<<Placement of Soarin'>> Soarin' could have been planned out better in my opinion. It is clearly shoe-horned into its current location. The popularity is proof that it was a good idea, but the crowd control/Fastpass situation and the very bland line are signs it could have been done better. Why did it not replace Circle of Life instead? The building can also be seen rising above Canada in World Showcase which destroys the illusion. I'm also surprised that a third theater was not built. It would have increased the capacity just as adding additional pods to Star Tours did.

Disney's Hollywood Studios

-<<Current State of the Backlot Tour>> Very pitiful. The tour is no longer narrated. The tour is shortened extremely. There is a lack of things to look at on your tour too. Thanks goodness Universal doesn't have an clone of their Hollywood Backlot Tour in Orlando.

-<<Countdown to Fun>> Worst parade in Disney history. I don't mind making that claim even though I haven't seen them all. It is shorter, cheaper, and less fun than Block Party Bash. Money isn't everything and this is proof.

-<<Discontinuing ESPN: The Weekend>> Very sudden and surprising with no public valid reason to why. I think it is a huge mistake and one that drew people into a park that already was struggling after attendance numbers were released for Walt Disney World theme parks.

-<<No replacements for Sounds Dangerous or Narnia>> Sound Dangerous may take some time to find a replacement for such a small location, but Narnia could have easily been updated with more recent films just as The Magic of Disney Animation gets updates with recent films. Narnia is a guest disappointment through and through. It is too small, too short, too outdated, and shows nothing more than a trailer and some props. Even the meet and greet is gone now.

-<<Park Design>> Designing the park to back up against World Drive with limited space to expand...even if it were for movie sets was poor planning. The park was forced to expand in ways that disorient guests. Paths are small are like mazes. Hollywood Blvd and Sunset are great, but there rest could have been designed better with expansion in mind whether that be for a theme park or a working movie studio.

-<<The Hat>> A repeat of what everyone else has said.

Disney's Animal Kingdom

-<<Broken Yeti>> Part of this mistake is also for making it that Everest is your main draw into the park, thus you can refurbish it if needed. Well, it needs it. The main attraction with something that everyone sees and most people notice isn't working as it is supposed to. It's a laughing point with most Disney fans, and yet they still haven't found a way to take care of the situation. This is a mistake that was hard to prevent, but a mistake that you can learn from nonetheless.

-<<Dinorama>> Disney is better than this, even if it is poking fun an the extinction of your typical traveling carnivals. If you need things to do in Animal Kingdom, invest the money the right way and create something you are known for doing. This has helped provide guests with something to do in the park, but isn't a main draw and looks terrible.

-<<No Reason to Stay Past 4:00pm>> While I know animals can't stay up for late hours and fireworks would disrupt the animals too, there is currently no reason to stay past the 3:45 parade. The only reason the parade is at 3:45 is to keep people in the park longer, because Disney knows it is hard to spend a full day. Sea World and Busch Gardens have done well keeping people in their parks later, why hasn't Disney been able keep guests in this park longer. Revenue from park tickets, merchandise, and dinner would make Animal Kingdom more profitable I'm sure.

Downtown Disney & The Resorts

-<<Closing Pleasure Island>> The reasons behind the closures made some sense, but the result has been a mistake. There was no replacement. Why not scale back only? What about more emphasis on entertainment clubs like The Adventure's Club or children party atmospheres or anything? Nope, the result was abandoned buildings and now a delayed project leaving a huge gap in Downtown Disney. Big mistake.

Those are my opinions of biggest mistakes. Some people have listed others, but remember some choices were made for a reason whether we like them or not. Stitch's Great Escape for an example. Alien Encounter was better, but didnt fit Magic Kingdom. Stitch's Great Escape does relatively well at TRYING to use the same technology and special effects, but the story just isn't very good. I don't quite think it makes it a mistake though, just a shame. LMA is another one. I find it boring after the third time. I also think it's a waste of space, but it fits the Studios very well and can hold a lot of people. It wasn't quite a mistake, but not the best choice either. American Idol is also a little too late, but not a mistake. Flying Carpets are not placed well and a clone of other similar rides in the park, but most guests don't mind the location or that it is similar. It adds to the rides at the park. Monster's Inc doesn't fit in Tomorrowland very well, but it isn't a mistake. Guests love it. I also hate the Leave a Legacy tombstones, but those are far from a mistake. They are not ideal, but they made money and gave guests a way to celebrate 2000 in a unique way. It's all how you look at it. I'm sure there are other arguements against my own opinions, but overall, while I can list some mistakes, WDW has quite a few WINS as well. :)

juniorthomas

Original Poster
While I agree that the article was a bit over-the-top. I do agree with his sentiment about the ride not following the "rules" of the Toy Story Universe with having the backstory of the toys wanting to have a surprise waiting for Andy when he gets home.

Then again that was the first time I had ever heard of that backstory. :lol:

He's spot on about Potato head though! He had so much potential...and we ended up with a horrible execution!

Yeah, the backstory does get lost in the shuffle. That's why I'm willing to give it a pass. Since it isn't vital to enjoying the ride, the fact that they didn't follow through, while odd by Disney's standards, isn't as important to me.

Mr. Potato Head, however, is indeed a good point. When it's actually operating, it's not much of a bonus. He's by far the most negative-ish of all Toy Story Characters. I'd rather them have put Sid in there.

juniorthomas

Original Poster
As for anything before the Crush 'N Gusher, the ONLY thing added since the park opened was a third drop body slide. That park gets closed for routine maintenence every year, but nothing is ever added.

Same can be said for Blizzard Beach. It opened in 1995 and has not added even ONE new attraction since the park opened. While I love the theming in both waterparks, I generally spend my waterpark days at the other parks...seeing as how they actually add things every few years to keep me coming back.

I wonder if they actually make money on those two water parks. Any one with numbers on how many people attend those two parks each year?

invader

When expanding MGM, they should have had to stuck to the core theme, a working studio. I also would have liked for Dinorama to be gone.

VDisneyFan18

pretty much echoing everyone else here.

Closing the adventurer's club
the hat
lma
the abandonment of "the future" in future world
stitch
ddp
not closing sounds dangerous
cloning too much
changing the people mover spiel-okay so that's not a big one, but i still hate it

nooow enteringgg spaceee mountainnn

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom