Big Thunder evacuation

afar28

Original Poster
Strange thing happened tonight. About 30 minutes ago (10:00 PM) Big Thunder Mountain and the area surrounding it, like the smoking section below and the geyser next to it, where roped off with security surrounding. Dogs were brought in and were sniffing the area for something. Explosives I assume?
Anyone know why? Just curious. I don't think this happens very often.

luv

No idea.

I always wonder, too, when I see the dogs, exactly why they're sniffing around like that. I assume it is for drugs or maybe explosives, but I never know.

nytimez

Good thing they brought in the dogs. I hear there's a problem with dynamite there.

Big-Thunder-Mountain-Goat-Chewing-Dynamite.jpg

afar28

Original Poster
I used to work in attractions at Disneyland. When you see dogs, that usually means a bag was left unattended and the bomb squad was called, as whatever is in the bag could possibly be a bomb.

I had to close down rides multiple times because guests would leave their purses, bags, etc. It was annoying.
That makes sense. Better be safe then sorry.

JimboJones123

Exactly. Safety, first. It's still annoying for the CM, though haha.
I hate to be "that guy" but it is much more annoying for the guests than the CMs every single time.

This is one of the CM attitudes that really kills the magic. It should be the CM's pleasure to ensure the most important key of the 4 keys is addressed seriously.

Instead of being annoyed, enjoy the opportunity to make sure the guest experience is as full as it can be in these kinds of situations.

MOXOMUMD

I used to work in attractions at Disneyland. When you see dogs, that usually means a bag was left unattended and the bomb squad was called, as whatever is in the bag could possibly be a bomb.

I had to close down rides multiple times because guests would leave their purses, bags, etc. It was annoying.
Question: Do they stop the ride and have guests walk off or do they wait until it comes back to the unloading dock? BTMR honestly is not a ride I want to get stopped on. :coldfeet:

lilclerk

I hate to be "that guy" but it is much more annoying for the guests than the CMs every single time.

This is one of the CM attitudes that really kills the magic. It should be the CM's pleasure to ensure the most important key of the 4 keys is addressed seriously.

Instead of being annoyed, enjoy the opportunity to make sure the guest experience is as full as it can be in these kinds of situations.
You can be annoyed without showing that to your guests/customers. It's all how you handle it.

Question: Do they stop the ride and have guests walk off or do they wait until it comes back to the unloading dock? BTMR honestly is not a ride I want to get stopped on. :coldfeet:
One of my family members was "walked off" the highest hill of BTMRR many years ago. The train just stopped on the ascent and they sat there for at least 15 minutes at an angle until CMs showed up to guide them down. She said that the guest reactions ranged from "Eh, about time, it's hot out here" to "You want us to do WHAT??" (I imagine this happens very rarely, however.)

afar28

Original Poster
One of my family members was "walked off" the highest hill of BTMRR many years ago. The train just stopped on the ascent and they sat there for at least 15 minutes at an angle until CMs showed up to guide them down. She said that the guest reactions ranged from "Eh, about time, it's hot out here" to "You want us to do WHAT??" (I imagine this happens very rarely, however.)
Being evacuated at an angle? That doesn't sound like too much fun...

Californian Elitist

We would stop the ride, tell the people in the queue to basically go away and then evacuate the people in the ride.

I got evacuated off of Thunder last Christmas. It was weird because as I was going through the line, I had a great feeling the ride was going to break down as soon as we got on. Sure enough, on the second or third lift, I can't remember, the train stopped. I was right haha. This one girl screamed "YOLO!" so loud and everyone started laughing. The evacuation process wasn't bad at all. Way better than being evacuated off of Peter Pan.

Californian Elitist

Sorry, but no. I found it annoying then as a CM and I still find it annoying. I found a lot of things annoying as a CM. You can't help it, sometimes. I didn't say I was never serious about evacuating people. I was always professional and I never let it show on my face and through my actions that I was annoyed. I even came up with appropriate spiels for specific attractions when I had to evacuate a ride, for any reason at all, not just for bomb potentials. If that's considered "killing the magic", then I committed the crime multiple times.

Last edited:

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.

I'd settle for the CM giving the safety announcement having English at a level where what he was saying was intelligible. He can be as miserable as he/she likes just proficient in ensuring my safety.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom