Big River Grille at Boardwalk

pbrsaau

Original Poster
Hi, has anyone had a meal at Big River Grille at the Boardwalk recently? It has been quite a while since I've been (10+ years at least). I always just had a beer and moved on. Any reports? Thanks!

JohnD

It's not a Disney restaurant. But if you're looking for basic brew pub type food and restaurant-brewed beer, this place fits that bill.

twag1

Just an experience to add regarding the "no reservations' deal, which may not be universal but happened to us.

We decided to give this place a try as we had never eaten there. My daughter called weeks before the vacation and was told that no reservations were necessary - as we know. She understood that as a resort guest, you were actually treated like you a had a "fast pass" that would automatically allow you to advance to the head of the waiting line.

That wasn't EXACTLY the way it worked when we got there.

While the above may be sort of true, to insure that you are seated promptly without a wait, you should call during the day to state your intentions. That's what the CM hostess said. In effect, that is "sort of like" making a reservation.

Instead of sitting right away, we got the beeper and were told 40 minutes - which as we know in life may or may not actually come to pass depending on how thirsty the current occupants of the joint are. Normally that wouldn't have been a major issue - particularly at a brewery - but the problem for us this particular visit was that we had the little grand-baby along and our focus through the trip was to keep her rested. You know - to avoid the Family/Child/Disney/Meltdown/Crying scenario we have come to know and love.

It was late enough in the day that if we did have to wait an hour, then go through the restaurant experience (however fast or slow that was to be), and then get back to CBR, we felt that there was a high degree of meltdown potential.

So we took a pass and headed back.

Not sure if there was a little communication gap between the daughter and the CM, but we sort of were under the impression that we could stroll right in - - which isn't EXACTLY the way it was. That was probably a bad assumption on our part.

To be safe, I would say if your day plays out in a manner that you think you'll be going there at a potential busy time, call them.

Or maybe don't call if you what a good excuse to have an extra brew or three!!!

Mark P.

Echoing others -- it's "safe". Let's just leave it at that. I've been to dozens of breweries with table service dining and Big River is...just okay. Beer's not bad (and the novelty of an on-property brewery is fun), but we haven't been back for a couple of years.

JAG107

It's actually one of our must do's when we go. It's great sitting out on the boardwalk enjoying the atmosphere along with a craft beer and some nachos or beer cheese soup. The pasta isn't bad either. Try calling ahead and getting on the wait list, they might still do day-of ressies (not thru Disneys system, you have to call the restaurant directly). For us, it beats most all other on site TS meals that we've experienced.

JohnD

It's actually one of our must do's when we go. It's great sitting out on the boardwalk enjoying the atmosphere along with a craft beer and some nachos or beer cheese soup. The pasta isn't bad either. Try calling ahead and getting on the wait list, they might still do day-of ressies (not thru Disneys system, you have to call the restaurant directly). For us, it beats most all other on site TS meals that we've experienced.

Actually, this just reminded me of what I could do for dinner. I have a 10pm ADR for Beaches and Cream (for dessert obviously). On 11/2, I'm hopping from Epcot to HS to see SW Fireworks. After that was trying to figure out what to do for dinner. Well boat stops eventually go to Boardwalk and Yacht/Beach clubs in that order. So I'm thinking Big River before dessert at Beaches and Cream.

Herdman

I saw this thread from a few years ago. We're thinking of eating there on one of our Studio days since we aren't attached to any of the restaurants there. We're staying at the Boardwalk Villas in May. It looks like the same thing applies today as far as no advance reservations. Has anyone been there more recently than this thread date to know if it all still holds true? Thanks!

harryk

Stopped there last November (2018) for a late dinner and had an excellent meal with our party of 5. Had no complaints and will definitely go again. Over the years they have maintained excellent quality and we generally stop by for a lunch, not late dinners, and they have taken excellent care of us. It is not fine dining - but what do you expect at a 'grill'...

Plowboy

We were there about 6 weeks ago for an 8:30 Sunday night dinner. Food was good. So was the beer. Having arrived at MCO at about 6:00 pm, after ME got us to Pop we hopped the skyliner over to International Gateway/Boardwalk. As previous posters have stated it's not fine dining, but a solid choice for pub/grille food.

Herdman

We were there about 6 weeks ago for an 8:30 Sunday night dinner. Food was good. So was the beer. Having arrived at MCO at about 6:00 pm, after ME got us to Pop we hopped the skyliner over to International Gateway/Boardwalk. As previous posters have stated it's not fine dining, but a solid choice for pub/grille food.
Thanks for the review! You still can't make reservations as in the past?

Disney Stine

Hey! Does anyone know if they have TVs at the bar? Trying to catch a college football game but ESPN Club has zero reservations available (not sure if I would need one for the bar area), so a non reservation taking brewery may work.

DISR

I had the worst meal ever , worst restaurant on property.
No offense to anyone who liked it, but I have to strongly agree with you...done it twice and never again. Food and service were really bad. ESPN is a close second. The boardwalk could do much better with casual food quality. I wonder if it has something to do with the prevalence of convention attendees at the nearby hotels...I've had bad luck with food quality in places where lots of conventions are booked.

flempoby

No offense to anyone who liked it, but I have to strongly agree with you...done it twice and never again. Food and service were really bad. ESPN is a close second. The boardwalk could do much better with casual food quality. I wonder if it has something to do with the prevalence of convention attendees at the nearby hotels...I've had bad luck with food quality in places where lots of conventions are booked.
Just an FYI....Big River (and lots of other restaurants on property) are on the OpenTable app. You can reserve on the app and the bonus is there is no $10 per head fee if you don't show. I have all of the "disney" restaurants as favorites in the app and the current count stands at 27 restaurants.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom