Big Reveal, New Logo

MrPromey

No wonder they're not building more rides in HS... there's only three "O"s in Hollywood for the different IPs.

Was just about to say, I wonder which IP will get swapped out first when they open up something else new down the road.

This feels like a very short-sighted concept for a logo but I guess they plan to make enough on new logo merchandise sales when they finally change it out again that they won't mind updating signs. :/

Casper Gutman

Was just about to say, I wonder which IP will get swapped out first when they open up something else new down the road.

This feels like a very short-sighted concept for a logo but I guess they plan to make enough on new logo merchandise sales when they finally change it out again that they won't mind updating signs. :/
We can take bets on which icon goes first. I’ll chose that version of Mickey, which already looks fairly outdated.

Dunston

When I was young(er than I am now LOL), MGM Studios was my favorite park because it had the 3 most thrilling rides in Disney World and I loved the behind-the-scenes movie stuff and old Hollywood stuff was very cool. Even when I was too short to go on The Tower of Terror and Rock and Rollercoaster, I still really liked the park because of the Honey I Shrunk the Kids playground and backlot tour.

Now, all of the movie-making things are gone, and rumors tell that the Tower if Terror's and Rock and Rollercoaster's days are numbered. At the Park's 30th anniversary I wouldn't say it is my favorite park any more due to both the park and my interests changing over time, but I'm not sour on the park's new direction like some here are. If Runaway Railway, Galaxy's Edge, and whatever else the future holds (please Indy land please) are on par with what we've seen from Shanghai or Pandora, I think the park will be something very special. Even if many of the attractions won't be exclusive to Orlando, I think this park will become many new guests' favorite in the coming years.

MrPromey

Even if many of the attractions won't be exclusive to Orlando, I think this park will become many new guests' favorite in the coming years.

Unless they've done something horribly, horribly wrong with it that nobody will know about until it opens, Galaxy's Edge, alone, will cement that for a lot of people, I'm sure.

But I still think the new logo sucks. ;)

Last edited:

MrPromey

it's just a logo lol not the end of the world, but does help the causal visitor get an idea of what might be at the park in my opinion

It's just a really confusing idea for a logo.

In logo design, you are normally striving for something that will reproduce well under a variety of circumstances - any size as well as in 1 color. If you think about the Logos for the other 3 parks, the Disney logo, the resort logos, along with just about any other logo Disney or other major brand uses, they accomplish this.

What we have here is something that would look fine as artwork on a t-shirt or the side of a coffee mug but if it were shrunk down in color to fit on a business card, how much more than a split second would it be to recognize at least two of the three characters you see there? Now what if it were small and also one-color? How would two of the three characters even be rendered?

Heck, they're going to have to stylize it to make a collectors pin they sell just because those continuous tones for BB8 and Woody can't be done in a cloisonne pin style.

That may all sound like a trivial thing but if this is in fact, the new park logo, they've broken a few of the primary rules you learn in school about designing an effective logo, which for a company like Disney is... odd.

It feels to me like they tried to cram an updated version of the sign you drove through/by just before the overpass-arch on the World Drive exit path to enter their Parking Lot.

In the past, they've had many stylized versions of the name used on merchandise that were not the official park logo and if that's all this were, I certainly wouldn't complain but for something that should accompany all branded signage, appear on the park map, on printed and xeroxed copies of paperwork, etc. - it just feels like a very poorly thought-out design.

If the official logo turns out to be just the lettering without the charactes and that is just an ehnanced, stylized version of it for the archway, I might be able to get behind that but not this.

In the grand scheme, it's a minor thing to like or dislike with everything at WDW, I suppose, and coming from a design background, I may personally be more critical of this than most. Like when I see poor kerning between lettering on signs, I'll be the only person in my party who is "impacted" by this when we're there but, just the same, bleh.

Indy_UK

While there are lazy additions like the Incredibles area and Racing Academy, I feel studios is getting more of an identity than it's had for the past 10-15 years.

ToT and Rockin Roller Coaster can stay as they are, Star Wars is substantial as is Toy Story. New/ updated shows will go along way to helping with variety. More of an Indy presence and a rework of Animation Courtyard will complete the park

lazyboy97o

While there are lazy additions like the Incredibles area and Racing Academy, I feel studios is getting more of an identity than it's had for the past 10-15 years.

ToT and Rockin Roller Coaster can stay as they are, Star Wars is substantial as is Toy Story. New/ updated shows will go along way to helping with variety. More of an Indy presence and a rework of Animation Courtyard will complete the park
What is this identity?

Indy_UK

A park that focus on Lucasfilm, Pixar and classic Disney animation? With the later needing a lot more work but obviously the direction they're taking?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom