Big Reveal, New Logo

Jahona

Man...

I don't care for the characters, but they seem like a temporary decoration anyway. Easily swapped out with other characters when new attractions will be promoted.

It's a very slight improvement over the obnoxiously right-justified previous logo. At least this new logo is KIND OF balanced.

BUT

Disney - you've got to understand that a marquee or a sign is not where you put the same logo you'd use on a letterhead or business card! A large sign over an archway needs to feel like it was designed by the architect of the archway, not added on afterward. This isn't a stripmall.

You can tell the logo was designed independent of the archway because it's scaled up to get "Hollywood" as large as it can get but it's starting to pinch "Disney's" at the top and "Studios" at the bottom.

sigh... It's... ugh... if you want to do something right...

Here's my fix:
View attachment 368609

You can still have your wacky characters dancing on the letters. Heck you can even make "Disney's" bigger this way. Just don't let some idiot in marketing say "Oh no no, the right-justified "Disney's" and the left-justified "studios" looks so nice on the brochures – we must have it the same way on the arch."

And yes, I do this for a living.

While you're right about the design of the archway and the logo, you have to take into consideration that most brand standards don't allow for the alteration of the logo. Even if it makes the overall work better.

disneyworlddad

Maybe Disney should sell more Flamethrowers because the kids love that one.:cautious:
View attachment 368608

Eh, my take on the logo was a very tongue in cheek response. I did all of that in Microsoft Word and Paint, and the person who did the actual new logo most likely did that in Photoshop...a very simplistic 101 design it seems. Just slightly disturbingly underwhelming.

O i agree it is underwhelming but I'm sure there is something to what I said. Printing and cost there of is a big deal. Funny thing is I was actaully thinking of Spaceballs when I wrote out that response. Love that movie. Do you think any board member / executive has ever stood up in a meeting and said " I knew it, I'm surrounded by A**H***S"

SirLink

Don't forget Chappie. This is firmly in his wheelhouse (cheap, generic, and IP-centered). His stench can't leave P&R soon enough. I just hope he doesn't move up the ladder and only moves out the door.

You would need to get rid of Iger as well this is being mandated from him downwards btw.

The only time you will see this logo is on merchandise which will have the three characters from that IP in the 'O' windows. The arch isn't long for this world and won't be survivng the next 5 years.

ImperfectPixie

While you're right about the design of the archway and the logo, you have to take into consideration that most brand standards don't allow for the alteration of the logo. Even if it makes the overall work better.
I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, but most brand standards also take into account the many different uses of logos and plan accordingly during the design phase and thus have at least a handful (if not more) iterations of their logo that will work in virtually any situation - vertical, horizontal, with a graphic, without a graphic, color, black and white, gray-scale...the bigger the company, the more logo iterations they generally want/have. Then you've also got to consider large-scale for signage, etc. and small-scale for business cards/letterheads/envelopes, etc., and use on a light background vs. a dark background...I did some work for Reuters at one point and the manual that encapsulated the specs for all their different logos was literally 3" thick.

I really feel like they let design interns work on this logo...at any scale, the words "Disney's" and "Studios" virtually get lost because they're so out of proportion with the word "Hollywood". While I understand the "why" behind the choice, it's poorly executed and won't look pleasing on signage (which is meant to be viewed at a distance at which they will be illegible) or brochures (think about how tiny those two words will be if "Hollywood" is centered and spaced nicely on maybe 3 1/2" or 4" wide paper). I'm hoping they're either giving their in-house designers some pretty considerable leeway when working with it or have already taken all these circumstances into account and simply whipped out whatever one they could grab to show us.

I should add that I worked in both the print industry and the sign industry...and very often (for smaller clients) leeway was granted to tweak things to make them more pleasing to the eye for the project at hand. Larger clients almost always already had a version of their logo designed for the purposes for which we needed it. When I design logos, I make sure to stress to the client how important it is to have variations of their logo that make them recognizable, but which also allow for different sizing/spacing/color situations.

britain

Yes, that's when there's a brand manager talking the 3rd parties with regards to making collateral material. They are provided with very strict brand guidelines. This isn't a 3rd party. This is architecture within the park itself.

Plus most brand style guides provide for accommodations in other contexts. I wonder how BB-8 will look on an embroidered half-inch tall patch on the back of a baseball cap. Oh, is merchandise permitted to have alterations made in such contexts? So should architecture.

britain

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, but most brand standards also take into account the many different uses of logos and plan accordingly during the design phase and thus have at least a handful (if not more) iterations of their logo that will work in virtually any situation - vertical, horizontal, with a graphic, without a graphic, color, black and white, gray-scale...the bigger the company, the more logo iterations they generally want/have. Then you've also got to consider large-scale for signage, etc. and small-scale for business cards/letterheads/envelopes, etc., and use on a light background vs. a dark background...I did some work for Reuters at one point and the manual that encapsulated the specs for all their different logos was literally 3" thick.

I really feel like they let design interns work on this logo...at any scale, the words "Disney's" and "Studios" virtually get lost because they're so out of proportion with the word "Hollywood". While I understand the "why" behind the choice, it's poorly executed and won't look pleasing on signage (which is meant to be viewed at a distance at which they will be illegible) or brochures (think about how tiny those two words will be if "Hollywood" is centered and spaced nicely on maybe 3 1/2" or 4" wide paper). I'm hoping they're either giving their in-house designers some pretty considerable leeway when working with it or have already taken all these circumstances into account and simply whipped out whatever one they could grab to show us.

I should add that I worked in both the print industry and the sign industry...and very often (for smaller clients) leeway was granted to tweak things to make them more pleasing to the eye for the project at hand. Larger clients almost always already had a version of their logo designed for the purposes for which we needed it. When I design logos, I make sure to stress to the client how important it is to have variations of their logo that make them recognizable, but which also allow for different sizing/spacing/color situations.

Yes, what you said.

britain

This is a corporate Disney logo.

We must represent all of our properties on the park...but we can't include Marvel because of the agreement with Universal.
Let's make sure we include everything and make the log as generic as we possibly can.

"But what about Tower of Terror or the Chinese Theater?"

Forget those

"But this was supposed to be about old, classic Hollywood when we opened it."

Yeah, I know but who cares. We have to make the park about three areas (the new Mickey & Minnie movie ride, Star Wars land and Toy Story Land).

"What about the rest of it?"

Not marketable enough. We must have Disney characters in this logo. We MUST.

"But you don't have Disney characters in Magic Kingdom or Epcot or Animal Kingdom."

Not yet.... (mischievous grin)

"Oh no."

Funny thing is despite my ranting, I really don't mind the characters - they are behaving like decoration on the signage, not part of the signage itself.

And I'd take issue with a logo that has the ToT or Chinese Theater in it. We are AT the place itself, we don't need a re-representation of it. That would be like having the castle on the Magic Kingdom sign at the front of the train station.

I'm just asking for some thoughtful use of space here!

Kman101

That was a bit underwhelming.

The whole 'celebration' was underwhelming today. The 'parade' had potential and it was a nice idea but almost everyone was shouting "that was it??" lol

Heavy crowds today. The awkward stage show and 2 1/2 hour line for merchandise ... oof ...

The "poster" they gave you as you exit was nice, of course they're passing out buttons and guide maps.

Anyway ... meh at the logo. Not a fan. Maybe it'll grow on me when I see it on signage in person. At least the arch is staying!

VJ

Thought I'd give it a shot.

Disclaimer: I'm not a professional graphic designer by any means.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom