Big News For ABC!!!

Goofster

Original Poster
Just heard that ABC bought the TV rights to Harry Potter and the Sorceror's Stone and Chamber of Secrets. This will really have a huge effect on the Station in the next few years. This is really cool to see ABC get the rights to this spectacular movie. It's great for ABC and Disney. Here's the article from Reuters:

ABC has acquired the television rights to the record-setting children's film ""Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone'' and its sequel, in one of the most expensive such deals in TV history, the network said on Thursday.
The network did not disclose a price for its purchase of rights to ""Harry Potter (news - web sites)'' and a sequel, ""Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets,'' but a knowledgeable source said ABC paid between $60 million and $70 million for each film.

The sum is about the same as that paid for TV rights to the Jim Carrey holiday blockbuster ""Dr. Seuss' How the Grinch Stole Christmas,'' but is less than that paid for ""Star Wars: Episode I -- The Phantom Menace,'' the source said.

The deal gives ABC all non-pay television rights to the two movies, and includes a 10-year license for each film.

Since opening with a record-setting box office take of $90.3 million the weekend before Thanksgiving, the first ""Harry Potter'' movie has gone on to gross more than $190 million in North America alone.

Cool School 'eh?

wdwmaniac

I read that too. It is good they won the rights but I think ABC could use there money to help them bring there ratings up. The are third this year. CBS-1 NBC-2 ABC-3 FOX- 4. So I think they could use the money for new shows and stuff. Becasue how many times can you show Haryy Potter on one channel? One time on ABC and a few on ABC Family.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom