Big Huge Fireball in Epcot

WeLComeHomE OKW

Original Poster
Tonight, I went to Late night Extra Magic Hours at Epcot and I was walking toward the world showcase when all of a sudden there was this huge fireball out of nowhere that went up into the sky. I thought it was in the world showcase by the topiaries for the F+G Festival. But my sister thought it looked like it came from beyond American Adventure. Did anyone else see this? Can anyone give more details?

Frank Stallone

First time you see it, all you can think is "uh oh, what just happened", if you don't know that it's planned. I believe there is a video clip of it on youtube.

disneydata

Yes, it does happen every night. That use that to blow off all the extra propane in the tanks. They have a big announcement during EMH but if it's after the parks close, I think it's just a simple warning to CMs still around.

wvugeoggrad

I actually wanted to see this first hand so last time I was at Epcot I decided to stay. I asked a CM nearby when they usually do it after the fireworks are over and he said appx. 30 min. We'll it actually ended up being more like a little over an hour. We just hung out at the lagoon the whole time while people were leaving the park and it was pretty much empty by the time it went. They actually did a little announcement about it and had a countdown. Pretty cool but its one of those things you only wanna sit around and wait for once.

Rob562

The blow-off actually happens about 90 minutes after the start of Illuminations. Before it can happen, all other fireworks barges need to be cleared off of the water, and any Friendships that will be going off-duty in Crescent Lake around that time need to be parked as well. (Off-hand I don't know if Friendship service continues on Crescent Lake during the entire length of EMH at Epcot)

As some people have said, since the introduction of evening EMH at Epcot, they've added a public announcement with countdown. It's unclear as to whether they do the announcement on non-EMH nights. But a few years ago it was simply just the big fireball with no public warning. (I'm sure there's a LOT of radio communication among the pyro people beforehand)

You can actually stay to see it on non-EMH nights, but like I said, it's 90 minutes after the start of Illuminations. So the park is virtually empty by that point. My suggestion would be to do the security CMs a favor and watch it from the International Gateway area and plan to leave through the International Gateway afterward. It helps them clear the park faster. (Also, resort transportation at the front of the park may have already ended by the time you get out the front entrance)

-Rob

CatLady

disneydata said:
That use that to blow off all the extra propane in the tanks.

Hmm. A CM familiar with IllumiNations told me that it is actually a relase of the propane in the lines, burned off so it doesn't just get releaed into the environment. Is Boo around to clarify whether it's the lines or an actual purge of the tanks?

It's on my list of things "to see" at the World, but I'm always too tired at the end of the night to stick around...

will_rogers

For obvious reasons, the tanks are under water. I believe it is just a clearing of the lines on the actual barge. The barge uses about 3000 lbs of propane a show but they always have leftover. They have to get rid of it. The result is...well...

sillyspook13

Frank Stallone said:
First time you see it, all you can think is "uh oh, what just happened", if you don't know that it's planned.
That describes my reaction! It was after hours, a friend was giving me a ride home so we walked through the park after work. No warning, just a huge, loud explosion. I nearly had a heart attack, and my friend made fun of me the rest of the night...:lol:

imagineer boy

Frank Stallone said:
First time you see it, all you can think is "uh oh, what just happened", if you don't know that it's planned. I believe there is a video clip of it on youtube.

Could you post a link please?

*EDIT never mind, link already posted above!*

Very cool BTW.

dandaman

Thanks for that vid, Jim. Last August, I was browsing the Mitsukoshi store in Japan. I heard the "explosion", but I missed it. :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom