News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member

I mean my gawd @creathir
71C0370E-22B0-46CB-B16C-46C43EC1006A.jpeg
AFDD9CA4-6587-417E-87F6-0DD2CED07F34.jpeg

UNCgolf

Is it that people don't care what paving materials they use at Epcot or would they prefer WDI didn't talk about it or share images before it opens?

I don't think it's any of those things.

It's just the ridiculously over the top commentary that goes along with it. If it was just a post that said, "Hey guys, here's what we're going to use as paving materials for EPCOT!" it wouldn't get nearly as much disdain.

Sir_Cliff

I don't think it's any of those things.

It's just the ridiculously over the top commentary that goes along with it. If it was just a post that said, "Hey guys, here's what we're going to use as paving materials for EPCOT!" it wouldn't get nearly as much disdain.
But hasn't that always been the way with WDI?

If John Hench's Designing Disney book was shared as Instagram posts, for example, it seems people on here would be outraged.

lazyboy97o

If John Hench's Designing Disney book was shared as Instagram posts, for example, it seems people on here would be outraged.
Designing Disney is written as someone who is experienced and sharing. These posts read like they are, heavily edited by people who don’t have a clue. Even in trying to highlight something that many might not consider it 1) ignores that this is a subject that Disney used to advertise, 2) doesn’t really explain anything and 3) still comes across as dismissive of landscape architecture.

Sir_Cliff

That's just how Instagram is. I've seen enough duck-lipped morning selfies of coworkers driving their children to school in minivans to know.
And, to be fair, I don't think Zach has been pictured in many if any of the other posts about this project.

Still, I also imagine either from his or WDI's end there is some desire to make him the new spokesperson of WDI now Joe Rhode is gone and they don't really have any celebrity Imagineers. If it doesn't work out with Zach, I'm sure they'll find someone else.

UNCgolf

I don't think outrage is the right word.

Maybe some people are outraged -- I'm certainly not. I just find the posts quite funny, albeit in a slightly contemptuous way.

I also think it would help if people believed these were actually his unfiltered thoughts and not something crafted by a team of PR writers, but we already know that there's multiple people working on/editing the content of the posts. That would probably account for at least some of the difference in reception between the posts and the John Hench book.

jt04

Also, I hope this means part of the plaza will open along with Creations + Club Cool.

If the plaza is finished that soon it means it is being value engineered. Why is everyone in such a hurry?

These additions are more art and design than a new Target or Cracker Barrel. And whatever gets approved will be what is for a decade or two.

You can't rush fine art. 🎨

jt04

I hope so to but I doubt it. Even October might be a stretch. Having a straight through walkway with walls on each side would be helpful with the mass exodus after fireworks.

This seems most likely from the aerials I've seen. It is possible the bulk of the work won't be complete until next year. And that would be good. Means a lot of infrastructure, water features and landscaping. IMO.

James Alucobond

If the plaza is finished that soon it means it is being value engineered. Why is everyone in such a hurry?

These additions are more art and design than a new Target or Cracker Barrel. And whatever gets approved will be what is for a decade or two.

You can't rush fine art. 🎨
I'm not hoping for the whole thing. Just the portion of pavement and planters next to the building so that you have another pathway to the back of the park from the entrance. That walkway, from the concept art, is literally just concrete, trees, shrubs, and flowers. Plus, having the walls pushed back even slightly will improve the views out of the western side of the building by having it abut greenery.

Nmoody1

Is it that people on here don't care what paving materials they use at Epcot or would they prefer WDI didn't talk about it or share images before it opens?

I'd say its more about the fact the company make a song and a dance about pavements whilst a yeti has been broken for a decade, EPCOT is a shadow of its former glory - that no paving stone is going to fix, the fact that entertainment is cut across property (and stale when it is running) and also that teeming is thrown out of hotels to make way for Disney characters.

People fan-girling over these self indulgent posts (and the websites that share them) basically prove to Disney they just don't need to try anymore.

If anyone is interested my road is being re-tarmacced - I can share some images if you like and talk about the smell and the noise and how it feels to walk on???

Splashin' Ryan

"We actually prefer you don't notice the ground too much" ok then explain the highly detailed new pavement in Tomorro- oh wait never mind 😂.

But seriously, even recently WDI had used interesting pavement work, (Hello?? Pandora's pavement is literally a focal point of the land) also the footprints in toy story land, the new cobblestone sections in fantasyland, all of SWGE has something interesting, not to mention inside the exact same park Riddley is currently in, there is work going on at this very moment in Morrocco to add more detail to the pavement.

The "prefer you don't notice" is a poor excuse for "we wanted something sleek and modern with minimal detail" if they want that, that's fine, say it. Stop masking it behind fancy excuses.

yensidtlaw1969

The difference is that John Hench's book centered legitimate and valuable insight into the creative process, diving deep on beloved projects AFTER they had demonstrated the ability to connect with an audience.

Zach's Instagram is pimping new granite tiling as if it's a FEATURE of Epcot and not just an element of it.

Now, John Hench did write about the significance of the color of the Pavement in Future World, explaining how it was chosen to optimize the coloring in guests' photographs and make every shot look fantastic. But if Hench went out of his way to regale us with that story BEFORE the park had even opened, we'd have likely said the same thing; "This whole big project is ahead of us, representing a huge financial investment, and THAT'S what you want us to be excited about??"

Add to it that this new tiling doesn't even pass the Fiber Optic Sidewalk for the most interesting pathway in the park (or the OG John Hench slurry color for considerate decision-making) and maybe you can see why it starts to ring hollow.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom