News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

trainplane3

New beams installed in the former Innoventions East building at EPCOT​

Epcot_Full_41750.jpg
That's great news. I'm glad they're rounding the edge off and getting rid of the cut out.

DrewmanS

Disney World was closed for just over 100 days. Construction resumed soon after the reopening. Now given the "circumstances" of the pandemic, my point was I understand that due to the closure, naturally everything else would be delayed, however, even with the 100+ day closure, it seems strange that it is still taking them longer than it did for them to build and open the park than it is to finish the construction projects they presently are undertaking.

I hope that's clear enough..

And if we're going to blame the pandemic, I'll also point out that Guardians began construction in August of 2017, which if my math is correct was more than 2 years before the closure, and it still isn't close to being done. So..yeah, build and open a park in exactly 3 years in the early 1980s vs not even finishing a rollercoaster in the same amount of time in the 2020s.
It is about money, resources, and access. This drives almost all construction projects.

Disney projects in the parks have challenges. Access: Most work has to be done during restricted hours and access to the site is limited because areas are still in operation. Resources: Few companies specialize in building themed attractions. Construction boom in FLA means fewer general contractors and special equipment (i.e cranes) available. Money: Let's not forget that DIS lost billions of dollars in revenue (movies, parks, ESPN) and about $5billion in cash. There is no economic advantage to spending money to speed up projects, especially when parks are operating under capacity.

EPCOT Center opened with many attractions still under construction. Their pace slowed significantly after park opening (some never completed). Construction projects are still impacted by Covid safety measures that slow their pace compared to pre-pandemic. So comparing building a ride in an operating theme park in 2021 is not equivalent to constructing a new theme park in 1980.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
EPCOT Center opened with many attractions still under construction. Their pace slowed significantly after park opening (some never completed). Construction projects are still impacted by Covid safety measures that slow their pace compared to pre-pandemic. So comparing building a ride in an operating theme park in 2021 is not equivalent to constructing a new theme park in 1980.
Conversely Paris seems to be accelerating its ongoing works whilst shut. Go figure.

kevlightyear

Future world received some changes with the new map. (Those prickly devils broke my system for getting them early...)

Universe of Energy and Mission:Space both got shading/coloring upgrades. (Also Canada, Japan, China and Mexico were overhauled completely, Morocco, Italy, Germany and the Outpost got lesser upgrades.)

The biggest change in FW concerns The Land and Imagination pavilions. Lots of simplification including removing show buildings.

Future-World-West.gif

The entrance area was also updated:

Epcot-Entrance.gif

ImperfectPixie

Future world received some changes with the new map. (Those prickly devils broke my system for getting them early...)

Universe of Energy and Mission:Space both got shading/coloring upgrades. (Also Canada, Japan, China and Mexico were overhauled completely, Morocco, Italy, Germany and the Outpost got lesser upgrades.)

The biggest change in FW concerns The Land and Imagination pavilions. Lots of simplification including removing show buildings.

View attachment 554897

View attachment 554898
The pyramids at Imagination look...odd...

ETA: They're far too tall, and the angles of the sides aren't right.

Last edited:

co10064

Premium Member
They completely redesigned just about every building at Hollywood Studios as well with a similar aesthetic. They were all given much more dimensional height and bolder colors.

View attachment 554930

Please forgive this some what off-topic aside...
These updates feel more in-line with the new versions of the printed in-park maps (specifically, the maps for Epcot and DHS that feature a different orientation than the north/south locked orientation of the app map).

DreamfinderGuy

Universe of Energy and Mission:Space both got shading/coloring upgrades.
Amazing how this map has been updated multiple times since Universe of Energy closed yet they're still keeping the pavilion looking the way it did in 2017. Even going as far as to update and enhance it's look on the map, yet still keeping the mirrored tiles and fountain and OG colors.

kevlightyear

Amazing how this map has been updated multiple times since Universe of Energy closed yet they're still keeping the pavilion looking the way it did in 2017. Even going as far as to update and enhance it's look on the map, yet still keeping the mirrored tiles and fountain and OG colors.
They're very inconsistent with updates. For instance, the new Tomorrowland arch was on the map before the old one started to come down but it took them a long time to update the Liberty Square Market with the new layout.

kevlightyear

These updates feel more in-line with the new versions of the printed in-park maps (specifically, the maps for Epcot and DHS that feature a different orientation than the north/south locked orientation of the app map).
Good point, they had been out of sync for a while.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Mickeynerd17

View attachment 554897

View attachment 554898
I just saw that with imagination. Found it odd because I could've sworn it showed the whole building. Didn't realize Soarin was gone too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom