News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

Mac Tonight

Movies Anywhere. Netflix. Disney+. If the internet killed EPCOT Center then the idea of leaning into movies that are more accessible than ever makes no sense. You can experience your favorite movies anytime you want.
It doesn't make sense...

It makes cents. And dollars. Because that's all the people in charge care about anymore.

yensidtlaw1969

I agree wholeheartedly. Too often detail means any sort of prop or ornamentation regardless of its appropriateness to the story being told. We’d probably have people praising the new details on CommuniCore East if it was tarted up with a bunch of foam gingerbread trim.
Truly - so many recent Imagineering projects look as though someone was given carte blanche to raid a prop warehouse. Look back across time at what we'd consider to be the masterpieces of Imagineering and you'd be amazed at how sparse some of them are. Space Mountain is not densely propped, but it is appropriately detailed. And also very well-themed - imagine that.

More "stuff" does not automatically equal immersion. You've got to pick the right stuff, and the right amount of it for the intended guest experience. Restraint can be a virtue.

yensidtlaw1969

Or covering it up in (hideously expensive) faux rockwork.
^Fixed that for you 😜

No doubt the rockwork Disney is able to do today is drop-dead STUNNING . . . but the way it eats budgets and doesn't automatically translate to a compelling experience is a dangerous intersection.

Imagine if Mermaid in Fantasyland traded half of the rockwork on its exterior for landscaping that hid a plainer building and freed up that money for the interior attraction . . . I know money doesn't necessarily move around that way in a project, but if someone had made the call to spend less on rockwork and more on the last third of the actual ride I think we'd all have been better off.

Cmdr_Crimson

Imagine if Mermaid in Fantasyland traded half of the rockwork on its exterior for landscaping that hid a plainer building and freed up that money for the interior attraction . . . I know money doesn't necessarily move around that way in a project, but if someone had made the call to spend less on rockwork and more on the last third of the actual ride I think we'd all have been better off.
That reminds me of how Six Flags was "trying" to build a storyline with Dark Knight Coasters with a minimal theme. Entryway and a horrid plain box to hide the show building..This was just around the tailend time when Red Zone and Mark Shapiro was hoping to make the parks..*ahem* "Family Friendly" with it's really strange ideas..

SFGAm (grey show building on left)
HPIM2227.JPG

SFGAdv (Show building oddly airbrush painted)
Dark_Knight_Six_Flags_Great_Adventure-5.jpg

bcoachable

That reminds me of how Six Flags was "trying" to build a storyline with Dark Knight Coasters with a minimal theme. Entryway and a horrid plain box to hide the show building..This was just around the tailend time when Red Zone and Mark Shapiro was hoping to make the parks..*ahem* "Family Friendly" with it's really strange ideas..

HPIM2227.JPG

A for effort??

montyz81

As I said, the 1990s Internet was not remotely comparable to today's Internet. You couldn't get a lot of easy information back then the way you can now. Businesses were not reaching average every day people via the Internet until closer to 2005-2010. I've also been using the Internet at home since the mid-90s, but we are outliers; a large percentage of the United States didn't even own a home computer back then.

There are statistics that tell us as much -- only 52% of adults used the Internet at all in 2000, and only some of those people actually had it in their homes. That number was significantly higher among young people, but the fact remains that it was a different Internet than today. I think people forget just how much things have changed with regards to the Internet. The Internet of 1999 would be completely unrecognizable to someone in their early 20s.

The Internet as a place for businesses to connect to consumers individually (through ads and otherwise) is really function of broadband access (and modern social media, which also didn't exist back then). The US didn't cross 50% in terms of adults having home broadband access until 2007. The beginning of EPCOT's decline/change precedes the modern Internet by roughly a decade.

The numbers just don't back up the assertion that the Internet was the reason sponsorships stopped -- especially since some companies continued to sponsor well past that time. Beyond that, companies could reach far more people with a TV ad in 1995 than they could at EPCOT. I think the sponsorship model was doomed to fail eventually even if the Internet didn't exist, but as I said above, that really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. Disney doesn't need corporate sponsorship; they have plenty of money.
I do agree with you. If I can revise my stance, maybe the internet's possibilities influenced companies' plans to the point that they did not want to commit to 10-year sponsorships.

lazyboy97o

HPIM2227.JPG

Is this really any worse than TRON, Guardians of the Galaxy or Ratatouille?

Cmdr_Crimson

Is this really any worse than TRON, Guardians of the Galaxy or Ratatouille?
This is Six Flags were talking about....Also, I should point out the Great America Version. What they did is used a perfectly good theater venue, gutted out a seating area, used the first rows for a pre-show area and then moved you to the coaster in a box..

Last edited:

Rich Brownn

AOL used to send out those access CDs for free to anyone that wanted them. I have been connecting to the internet since about 1995. That's right about when sponsors started to slow down their support for rides in Epcot.
When people say Internet today they mean the World Wide Web (which is just part of the Internet, technically). The WWW came into existance in 1994 - and AOL did not access it at the time. Other than Email they were a "walled garden"

lazyboy97o

How?
This is Six Flags were talking about....Also, I should point out the Great America Version. What they did is used a perfectly good theater venue, gutted out a seating area, used the first rows for a pre-show area and then moved you to the coaster in a box..
Yeah it’s Six Flags but they also spent a fraction of what Disney spends. I don’t recall their actual price but I would be surprised if, even after adjusting for inflation, that the Dark Knight Coasters cost more than $30 million. Guardians of the Galaxy is costing over half a billion and Disney gutted a perfectly good show building and still dropped down a huge box.

GimpYancIent

How?

Yeah it’s Six Flags but they also spent a fraction of what Disney spends. I don’t recall their actual price but I would be surprised if, even after adjusting for inflation, that the Dark Knight Coasters cost more than $30 million. Guardians of the Galaxy is costing over half a billion and Disney gutted a perfectly good show building and still dropped down a huge box.
Movement to operations in all weather venue's?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom