News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
You’re so boring at this point. At least say something interesting about the new project. You sound so salty.
Here’s a trick. You select the bar on the right of the screen, hold the button down on your mouse,, and move the mouse. That way you can skip posts you don’t understand.

Works on a tablet by just magically touching the screen too.

Last edited:

sedati

Like a grand and miraculous breezeway...
Maybe it was a bad idea to put a glorified convention center as your park's centerpiece.
The massive crescents essentially acted as an interior berm.
It did for Future World what the Tacos are doing to World Showcase (to a far greater extent).

UNCgolf

Like a grand and miraculous breezeway...
Maybe it was a bad idea to put a glorified convention center as your park's centerpiece.
The massive crescents essentially acted as an interior berm.
It did for Future World what the Tacos are doing to World Showcase (to a far greater extent).

No it didn't. You weren't supposed to be able to see all of Future World and for good reason. It would have looked terrible to walk past Spaceship Earth into the center of the park and see every pavilion in Future World around you like a gigantic field; I have a hard time believing anyone thinks that would have been better.

The original EPCOT spine was incredibly well designed, and one of the reasons so many people absolutely loved the park. It only stopped working because Disney stopped putting anything interesting in those buildings -- but even then the design itself was still good (at least until they turned the center into a huge concrete expanse).

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
No it didn't. You weren't supposed to be able to see all of Future World and for good reason. It would have looked terrible to walk past Spaceship Earth into the center of the park and see every pavilion in Future World around you like a gigantic field; I have a hard time believing anyone thinks that would have been better.
You mean like how we can see every national pavilion? (For now.)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Even more possibilities if they weren’t so idiotically short sighted. Even room for a few rocks and some fountains.

36A621C7-3D0E-45B5-97C2-1074D98B2DDC.jpeg

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Yeah, because those were two different designs? The World Showcase pavilions were designed to be seen across the lagoon. You're being disingenuous again; I know you're smarter than this.
You mean how we can see four FW pavilions at the same time once we get past Communicore?

What's the difference between seeing four at once and seven at once such that seeing seven at once is somehow bad?

Because, the idea of seeing seven pavilions at once as being bad is an idea I disagree with. Stating it as a fact doesn't make it so especially when the original design that was supposed to stop such a bad thing didn't stop one from seeing for pavilions at once.

UNCgolf

You mean how we can see four FW pavilions at the same time once we get past Communicore?

What's the difference between seeing four at once and seven at once such that seeing seven at once is somehow bad?

Because, the idea of seeing seven pavilions at once as being bad is an idea I disagree with. Stating it as a fact doesn't make it so especially when the original design that was supposed to stop such a bad thing didn't stop one from seeing for pavilions at once.

It's not bad in a vacuum -- as I said, the point is that you were not supposed to see them. It's simply about the way the space was originally designed.

They absolutely could have designed the park in a way that let you see all the pavilions at once without it being a problem, but it would have needed to be a complete redesign IMO. If you just took out Communicore and didn't replace it with anything else you have a tremendous amount of unused space in the center of the park. If you build other buildings there, then you still wouldn't be able to see all the pavilions. The MK hub would be the only real comparable area of "unused" (i.e. no shops, restaurants, etc.) space, but it serves a different purpose and it's also smaller than the EPCOT central plaza.

Removing those buildings detracts from the original design of the park (and in my opinion the original design was incredibly well done). It's not that that original design was the only way it could have been done, nut it's not a great idea to try to change part of it when you can't redesign everything else to give it a new cohesive vision. This is an extreme example, but imagine tearing down one side of Main Street USA to build something completely different. Regardless of how you feel about Main Street USA or whatever new thing went in that space, it would cause issues with the overall design of the park.

It doesn't make sense to compare it to the World Showcase, because the original design there was different and intended to showcase the pavilions across the lagoon. The Harmonious barges are now detracting from that design intent, but that's a completely different topic.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
They absolutely could have designed the park in a way that let you see all the pavilions at once without it being a problem,
But, again, the way they were designed was that you can see four at once (East side). And from the lagoon, you can see some from the East side and West side at the same time.

I just don't buy that they were designed to not be seen together when the original design allowed one to see the majority of them at the same time from different areas of the park.

Is there any inside information from one of the imagineers that worked on this who said something to the effect of "We didn't design any of the pavilions in such a way as to be seen at the same time. That's why Communicore is so important to stop that view from happening."?

Because this sounds an awful lot like a backronym version of design parameters.

UNCgolf

But, again, the way they were designed was that you can see four at once (East side). And from the lagoon, you can see some from the East side and West side at the same time.

I just don't buy that they were designed to not be seen together when the original design allowed one to see the majority of them at the same time from different areas of the park.

Is there any inside information from one of the imagineers that worked on this who said something to the effect of "We didn't design any of the pavilions in such a way as to be seen at the same time. That's why Communicore is so important to stop that view from happening."?

Because this sounds an awful lot like a backronym version of design parameters.

@marni1971's post above certainly suggested it was done intentionally -- to block views of the pavilions from the central plaza that is, not specifically to block people from seeing them all at once -- but I have no idea if that's a fact.

As far as being able to see the majority of them from different areas of the park, I think there's at least an argument that it's different to eventually see most or all of them at once than it is to see them all upon entrance into the central plaza. They're hidden from sight upon that entrance, and that would be my guess for the original design intent -- to have the pavilions revealed later rather than have them all immediately visible when entering the park.

I never intended for the focus to become on being able to see all the pavilions at once anyways. I think the Communicore buildings themselves served an important purpose in the original design of the park regardless of whether they blocked views of the pavilions; being able to see the pavilions all at once is more or a less a side issue revolving around the design of the central plaza area.

Last edited:

EPICOT

I always thought it was to have a unified center in which the diverse pavilions were all grounded by, which yes included some limitations of nightlines. Now when you stand in the central area, you will see a spattering of buildings (the table©, etc) in the foreground and a spattering of pavilions in the background. It's far less clear as to what the purpose of each building is.

tparris

Even more possibilities if they weren’t so idiotically short sighted. Even room for a few rocks and some fountains.

View attachment 526317
I would assume it would be relatively easy for them to just remove the ‘94 part of the building while keeping the original, especially considering the method they’re using currently to sort of carefully “deconstruct” the building before removing steel. Am I accurate?

Sir_Cliff

I always thought it was to have a unified center in which the diverse pavilions were all grounded by, which yes included some limitations of nightlines. Now when you stand in the central area, you will see a spattering of buildings (the table©, etc) in the foreground and a spattering of pavilions in the background. It's far less clear as to what the purpose of each building is.
I'm more agnostic about the Communicore buildings on here than most, but what I really don't get about this redesign is how it is all supposed to fit together. The original design was at least unified and had symmetry. There would also be some symmetry to it if you demolished both sides and opened up the centre so that you could see the pavilions on both sides after passing Spaceship Earth. You could possibly have lakes, gardens, smaller buildings mirroring each other on either side, etc., and I could see it potentially working very well. I'm not quite sure, though, how it will all work when you have one Communicore building still there blocking the view of the pavilions on one side, and then somewhat open views to the pavilions on the other with one random building stuck in between.

Last edited:

UNCgolf

I'm more agnostic about the Communicore buildings on here than most, but what I really don't get about this redesign is how it is all supposed to fit together. The original design was at least unified and had symmetry. There would also be some symmetry to it if you demolished both sides and opened up the centre so that you could see the pavilions on both sides after passing Spaceship Earth. You could possibly have lakes, gardens, smaller buildings mirroring each other on either side, etc., and I could see it potentially working very well. I'm not quite sure, though, how it will all work when you have one Communicore still there building blocking the view of the pavilions on one side, and then somewhat open views to the pavilions on the other with one random building stuck in between.

I agree with this.

While I really liked the original Communicore buildings as part of the whole beautiful design of original EPCOT (with the pools, palm trees, etc.) it makes far more sense to tear both down than to only remove one. The remnants of the original design doesn't work any better with one building than it would with none, so why not get rid of both? I don't understand leaving one standing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom