News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

BrianLo

History is written by the victors. Card Walker may be on the park's plaque, but his name and work has been swept under the rug like many pre-Iger things. There is only Bob and the corporate image of Betty Crock...er, I mean Walt.

All we need is Sexy anime Walt in a dating Sim.

I_Love_You%2C_Colonel_Sanders%21_logo.png

Horizons1

Not sure if this was posted elsewhere, but Imagineer Zach Riddley posted an update about Dreamer’s Point and indicated that it’s still coming:
View attachment 517324

Ugh.

I hate how they shove the line about EPCOT being a state of becoming to justify their crappy choices. This statue and “dreamer’s point” are
just attempts to play up to the magic BS that Disney loves to push.

MatheusPG

Ugh.

I hate how they shove the line about EPCOT being a state of becoming to justify their crappy choices. This statue and “dreamer’s point” are
just attempts to play up to the magic BS that Disney loves to push.
This try to change the context of that phrase is just as disgusting as when they use the "Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world", for the same purposes, usually when they and their minions want to justify even the most ridiculous things like it would be if they rethemed Haunted Mansion into a Doctor Strange ride, Jungle Cruise into Moana s Adventure! And Splash Mountain into a princess ride...

Animaniac93-98

I also think having multiple Walt statues at each resort is a bit much. Partners is enough, and I think Blaine Gibson (or someone else?) said that Walt probably wouldn't like that kind of thing, anyway.

At least the Roy statue was something different and very much relevant to WDW's history (more so than Walt you could say).

the.dreamfinder

I also think having multiple Walt statues at each resort is a bit much. Partners is enough, and I think Blaine Gibson (or someone else?) said that Walt probably wouldn't like that kind of thing, anyway.

At least the Roy statue was something different and very much relevant to WDW's history (more so than Walt you could say).
I would love to see OLC do one for Masatomo Takahasi on a bench looking at a park map with Huey Dewey and Louie. I know that might sound weird but, this is the guy who doggedly fought to bring Disneyland to Japan’s children so it works.

Horizons1

Omg, even a nice statue of Walt sparks an avalanche of negativity and cynicism.

It’s a nice statue. That is all.
It’s unnecessary, it’s pandering, it’s excessive.

The partners statue is PERFECT in MK. It fits perfectly right there in the heart of the hub.

This however, why? Why is it here? Why is there a push? If Disney were so intent to honor Walt and EPCOT wouldn’t they have built the city? If the Disney of today wanted to honor Walt’s dreams of honoring, and pursuing, the capabilities of man and his achievements wouldn’t EPCOT continue to be a park about limitless possibilities in human achievements through science and industry? Call me negative all day long, which hey I’ve gotten some lovely DMs about, but this does not belong in EPCOT. At least not in the context Disney is pushing.

If we have to do a Walt statue in EPCOT let’s make it worthwhile. Let’s forgo the pixie dust about dreams. Let’s make the statue about the hard facts and realities that Walt was aware of that have shaped our future. Let’s honor Walt with a statue of him that isn’t about dreams, but instead about his steadfast faith in man to create a bolder, bigger, brighter tomorrow. That statue I would be behind all the way. But that isn’t a message about Walt that is going to happen. Instead it’ll be a safe message about dreams or magic which doesn’t belong in EPCOT.

This statue is not about Walt, it is about marketing.

Horizons1

Define "current"
And offer examples. What do you think should be in there? Come on, its not difficult. SpaceX? Blue Origin?
Huwei? CRISPR? Muppets? Muppets gets mentioned all the time, sooo current

"Hello Elon? We'd like you to pay us about $100 million and bring some rockets. Oh, and everything has to be inside this 30 year old building that's falling apart. No you can't have anything outside on static display, that will destroy the archectecural influences, theme and since of space. No, that's not a joke. Look we're going to tell you exactly how to set things up and what it will all say because you know, we can't risk you offending anythin. No, you can't talk about rocket fuel or how carbon fiber is made. You can't mention carbon, we got rid of our carbon exhibit years ago - very forward thinking on that one. Did we mention that when we get petitioned by at least one anonymous person on the internet calling space exploration, colonization of Mars, racist and white supremacist you're going to have to shut it all down. Oh, one last thing. China will require you share all your IP with them or they're walking. No more steamed buns for us!. Hello Elon? He must have hung up. Call Bezos..."

So come on man, let's get some imagineering done.

The future ran over the place and you all think its coming back.
I mean I never said it was difficult. You did.

Space X is a fantastic example of something that would be amazing at EPCOT. Your attempt to dissuade my passion is a perfect example of an industry/company which could be highlighted there.

I would love to see exhibits about such a product/industry at EPCOT. Maybe with the pandemic it couldn’t be as hands on, but it could still be engaging and informative. Just imagine with current technology live online feeds could be broadcast right there with live discussions from Space X astronauts or engineers. It could be incredible. With smart phones our Innoventions/Communicore experience could continue beyond the boundaries of the pavilion.

Such an experience could be the catalyst to sparking new interest for any willing participant to EPCOT’s message about the future. It was that way at one time but It’ll never happen today, however.

GladToBeHear

It seems they had it right the first time with Communicore. Interactive exhibits, presentations, games, etc. I think they're on the right track with the upcoming Play! pavilion. Just the wrong location. That should've gone in the currently-being-demolished West structure. Bring back Sum of All Thrills, add a VR experience (let the VOID run it), and set up a big video game/simulation section. Then connect the WOL building to M:S as the destination -- a domed Mars/lunar base after completing the mission(s). Restore the landscaping around the central spine with some modern updates. Add the water feature. Seems like all this could be done without breaking the bank and staying true to the original design for the park.

Cmdr_Crimson

It’s unnecessary, it’s pandering, it’s excessive.

The partners statue is PERFECT in MK. It fits perfectly right there in the heart of the hub.

This however, why? Why is it here? Why is there a push? If Disney were so intent to honor Walt and EPCOT wouldn’t they have built the city? If the Disney of today wanted to honor Walt’s dreams of honoring, and pursuing, the capabilities of man and his achievements wouldn’t EPCOT continue to be a park about limitless possibilities in human achievements through science and industry? Call me negative all day long, which hey I’ve gotten some lovely DMs about, but this does not belong in EPCOT. At least not in the context Disney is pushing.

If we have to do a Walt statue in EPCOT let’s make it worthwhile. Let’s forgo the pixie dust about dreams. Let’s make the statue about the hard facts and realities that Walt was aware of that have shaped our future. Let’s honor Walt with a statue of him that isn’t about dreams, but instead about his steadfast faith in man to create a bolder, bigger, brighter tomorrow. That statue I would be behind all the way. But that isn’t a message about Walt that is going to happen. Instead it’ll be a safe message about dreams or magic which doesn’t belong in EPCOT.

Should be Card Walker instead sitting with Figment..While not many may know who he was in this day. It would at least give him some recognition for the push for EPCOT to go on the way it is now...

lazyboy97o

I mean I never said it was difficult. You did.

Space X is a fantastic example of something that would be amazing at EPCOT. Your attempt to dissuade my passion is a perfect example of an industry/company which could be highlighted there.

I would love to see exhibits about such a product/industry at EPCOT. Maybe with the pandemic it couldn’t be as hands on, but it could still be engaging and informative. Just imagine with current technology live online feeds could be broadcast right there with live discussions from Space X astronauts or engineers. It could be incredible. With smart phones our Innoventions/Communicore experience could continue beyond the boundaries of the pavilion.

Such an experience could be the catalyst to sparking new interest for any willing participant to EPCOT’s message about the future. It was that way at one time but It’ll never happen today, however.
Add a rooftop bar to the CommuniCore, which could have been larger meaning more people buying more drinks, and host launch parties on clear days.

SoFloMagic

Sure it's not what Walt envisioned, but neither was epcot in 82. He wanted a damn city and they built a really good science museum + world showcase. At least that still stands in 2020. Take test track and guardians out and the attractions in future world are still at least somewhat educational.
Now they're adding a space pad that talks about the water cycle and more festival space. If Walts vision was a permanent world's fair, the Festivals are the closest epcot gets to that dream. So it's pretty fitting that's what he'll be looking at.

Sir_Cliff

I'll also venture the unpopular opinion that I don't find the architecture of Future World as beautiful or timeless as a lot of people seem to. I agree they have only made it look worse over the years through modifications and paving over the original landscaping. I'm also not entirely sold on the new plans, including destroying the symmetry of the Communicore buildings. Apart from Spaceship Earth, however, the above looks like a pleasantly landscaped 1980s office park or expo to me and corporate architecture from that period hasn't aged well, IMO. Again, it's all in the eye of the beholder, but I am not as bowled over by the immense beauty of the above scene as a lot of people on here seem to be.

It's been a long time since I've read The Architecture of Reassurance, but my memory was that even that book struck a slightly critical note about the architecture of the Future World pavilions as being remote and monolithic rather than part of a cohesive whole. I could be misremembering that, but in general I struggle to think of Future World being cited as an example of great architecture beyond fan forums in the way that other Disney parks and resorts have received praise.

Tony the Tigger

If Disney were so intent to honor Walt and EPCOT wouldn’t they have built the city?
Let's see...build a statue vs. build a city...yep, those are comparable. Six in one, half-dozen in the other. Wouldn't cost much more to build a city, would it? During a pandemic to boot.
this does not belong in EPCOT
Says you.
Psst...it's all about marketing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom