News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

Haymarket2008

New "press release" about the Epcot updates.

Things of note:
- No mention of PLAY!
- A "reimagined" Festival Center
- The World Celebration plans / Journey of Water seem to still be on the table.

trainplane3

New "press release" about the Epcot updates.

Things of note:
- No mention of PLAY!
- A "reimagined" Festival Center
- The World Celebration plans / Journey of Water seem to still be on the table.

"Festival area" actually. That makes it sound like we're getting a field with booths 🤣

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I thought the Journey of Water thing was cancelled.
No one ever said it was cancelled.

The fact that it survived in the EPCOT Experience in Odyssey even though the Festival Center and Mary Poppins were removed would indicate it was always on track.

The big question was how much it had to be redesigned to fit if Communicore NW remained (which we now know isn't).

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
So, yes, the new press release* changes "reimagined festival center" to "festival area." That could mean they're not going to put up a new building to house after-hours parties or upcharge events. Or, it could mean smaller buildings. Or, it could mean no buildings at all except more festival kiosks. Or, it could mean the PR used sloppy language and there still is a festival building on the way.

The PR did confirm these previously announced elements from pre-COVID that had not been mentioned again until now:
  • A hub fountain: "a story fountain celebrating the power and music of iconic Disney storytelling"
  • Dreamer's Point
  • party areas

However, what is noticeably absent is a mention of a "Wishing Tree."

And, as noted, the PLAY! Pavilion went unmentioned. Though, I wouldn't think it's nixed until removed from the EPCOT Experience in Odyssey.

Also note is another reaffirmation that the Journey of Water is supposed to be educative telling of the "cycle of water" (the fifth grade Earth Science picture of evaporation, clouds, rain, rivers, ocean, repeat).)

*undated... a continuing shame on Disney's PR department... also, they've been known to go back and change PRs without comment or notice... so bad...

DoleWhipDrea

All very interesting.

“Festival area”...outdoor food court?

In terms of PLAY! not being listed, is it possible that Disney is now deciding that a glorified indoor play and meet and greet area is a bad investment in a post-COVID world? I don’t think they would completely abandon all of the original plans (especially since they’ve continued work on the WoL building) and certain pieces have had permits filed for installation. But perhaps some of the plans are getting tweaked? Something a little less germ-spreading?

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
I’m so afraid for post COVID Epcot. It wasn’t great before but it seems downright scary now and I wasn’t an Epcot doom and gloomer before this...
The only thing that was totally scrapped was the Festival building (and many grumbled against it). The Festival building construction would have left the hub surrounded by walls for over two years.

Mary Poppins story time is indefinitely delayed (and many had grumbled it wasn't a ride, or even an E-Ticket).

The Wishing Tree's status is unknown (and I don't think anyone was excited for it).

PLAY! may be delayed (and some have grumbled against it... but Wonders of Life wasn't really being utilized anyway).

The Spaceship Earth uptheming is indefinitely delayed (and few were excited about that).

And... that's it.

Everything else that was mentioned pre-COVID is still coming.
  • Harmonius
  • Cosmic Rewind
  • Ratatouille
  • Creperie
  • Journey of Water
  • New Entrance and New Entrance Fountain
  • Hub "storytelling" fountain
  • Space 220
  • Dreamer's Point
  • Festival "area"
  • New Mouse Gears
  • New Electric Umbrella
  • New Club Cool
  • New Starbucks
  • Wondrous China
  • Bonus Gelato Stand

This is all in addition to what was already done: the three new movies and Regal Eagle.

Bocabear

I still have no idea what they are doing to Future world/communicore... So it is going to just be a big garden area? and what are "beautiful natural environments and global design elements"? I really just don't have a clear picture of what they are doing except trying to spin "Some plaza landscaping" into an attraction....

aladdin2007

I still have no idea what they are doing to Future world/communicore... So it is going to just be a big garden area? and what are "beautiful natural environments and global design elements"? I really just don't have a clear picture of what they are doing except trying to spin "Some plaza landscaping" into an attraction....

I sometimes think they don't know either. I feel like they are going about this as they change their mind every day.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yoi...

This sure seems like they are letting this devolve into another boondoggled mess aren’t they?

It’s just Epcot...they always find “reasons” to pull the plug on renovations and let it rot some more.

harryk

Management is sooooo concerned about expenses that they will ultimately lose guests at the various parks.
They always manage to find reasons not to continue with upgrades, new attractions, etc. Covid19 is just another excuse to stop.
This is the time to get upgrades done, new attractions completed, renovations completed, etc. while attendance is down. But that is thinking and planning. Obviously management does not think that way and continues to want guests to walk through vast plywood canyons as they move from one place to another.

Bocabear

All the descriptions are so purposely vague...like they don't even have a handle on what anything they are describing means...
I still don't get the Moana Splash area and fountain as making any sort of sense at the main convergence point of the park... Wouldn't it make more sense to build an actual Pacific Islands pavilion and have Moana's Journey Of Water as their centerpiece attraction? Everything described feels so short-sited and shoehorned... Like in 10 years they are going to have to tear it all down again and fix the mess they are making with it this go around...

Brer Oswald

I’d imagine they want to go back to the drawing board for Play. It seemed like a very...touchy feely experience by the looks of the concept art. One of the shots had then using Wii remotes. Perhaps they’re designing more experiences that can be hands free?

All the descriptions are so purposely vague...like they don't even have a handle on what anything they are describing means...
I still don't get the Moana Splash area and fountain as making any sort of sense at the main convergence point of the park... Wouldn't it make more sense to build an actual Pacific Islands pavilion and have Moana's Journey Of Water as their centerpiece attraction? Everything described feels so short-sited and shoehorned... Like in 10 years they are going to have to tear it all down again and fix the mess they are making with it this go around...
I agree with your point about Moana. I love water features, and I am a fan of the way this project seems to be represented by a minimalist visual presence of the film content.

However, it makes little sense to plop what I assume will look like a tropical jungle right between the middle of the park and the Seas/Land.

SplashJacket

A "festival area" may be the best outcome at this point. If they make a glorified field with booths, it wouldn't be permanent, and I know, temporary attractions with Disney end up staying for decades but if the company is not ready to put something permanent that will stand the test of time, they should put nothing.

If they want to slap a bandage on the area and then wait two or three years until they are more comfortable making investments, that's fine, but making a low effort structure without a predetermined plan of removal will be a long-term stain on Epcot.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom