News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

THEMEPARKPIONEER

I disagree. The spine is still a collection of things you have to maneuver around and as such are choke points.

I've come back to add a snarky remark too! Perhaps if they dont rebuild another fountain and stage, Joyful! (aka Painful!) might become confused and wander somewhere else, such as a backstage area to inflict themselves on the seagulls instead of us.
Anything just the stage, they do have the new fountain planned. I just hate to see so much demolished just to be replaced with concrete and grass. I also like my water shows depending on the music.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

I hope I’m right.
Any word if there replacing the original building, new feature or just open grass? It’s a true shame that they demolished all they did to have to cut back, if they just stuck to the first concept you once posted they could have been close to done by now.

Last edited:

britain

I hope I’m right.

I’m not sure what to hope for. They’ve already tipped their hand and declared that the space would be most valuable to them as a concert/festival/alcohol area. Even if they cancel the table with legs, why would they not still just build something cheaper that achieves those goals? And if that’s the case, will it still be architecturally interesting?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I’m not sure what to hope for. They’ve already tipped their hand and declared that the space would be most valuable to them as a concert/festival/alcohol area.
That much is clear. It shows the lack of understanding, ambition and desire. So they chose a(nother) bar as opposed to an attraction or engaging exhibit.

Should they wish to continue down such a misguided route at least build something sympathetic to the area, the park and the intent of the parks design and layout.

Last edited:

That much is clear. It shows the lack of understanding, ambition and desire. So they chose a(nother) bar as opposed to an attraction or engaging exhibit.

Should they wish to continue down such a misguided route at least build something sympathetic to the area, the park and the intent of the parks design and layout.

@marni1971, I'm curious about the "wishing tree" and enchanted forest spine elements that were announced at D23. Do you know if the spine concept was inspired by Shanghai Disneyland's Gardens of Imagination? Maybe it's coincidental, but that's the vibe I get from the concept art.

DreamfinderGuy

Would you happen to have a recent or even semi-recent photo of that area? Is it true the Epcot Center model is still up there?
The model is still there as of about a year or so ago, covered in dust and falling apart. The Computer Central area along with what remains of Innoventions is a hard hat zone now according to some people I know. The model wasn't marked for archival so it was likely destroyed if it's no longer there.

bcoachable

If I may ask (this is probably a bit too forward a question to ask in this delicate time, so I ask this with an apologetic tone), is anyone at liberty to say who is making the choices/taking the lead as we go forward on the spine project? We have been lead to believe that not only projects have been cut, but personnel will be as well, and that has me wondering who still be around to check the boxes and make the decisions.

Haymarket2008

If I may ask (this is probably a bit too forward a question to ask in this delicate time, so I ask this with an apologetic tone), is anyone at liberty to say who is making the choices/taking the lead as we go forward on the spine project? We have been lead to believe that not only projects have been cut, but personnel will be as well, and that has me wondering who still be around to check the boxes and make the decisions.

Zach Riddley is the lead imagineer on the overhaul and he is remaining on the project.

DreamfinderGuy

Zach Riddley is the lead imagineer on the overhaul and he is remaining on the project.
Does he actually have the final say on what happens though? I know he's overseeing the project, but I thought final decisions would go through at least D'Amaro now. If he seriously makes the call on the spine, his post from a few weeks ago about asymmetry worries me 😬

Haymarket2008

Does he actually have the final say on what happens though? I know he's overseeing the project, but I thought final decisions would go through at least D'Amaro now. If he seriously makes the call on the spine, his post from a few weeks ago about asymmetry worries me 😬

I doubt he is making the huge decisions, that would come from D'Amaro. But the two of them are certainly having the heavy hitter conversations.

lazyboy97o

Depending on the size of the project, a creative lead is going to be in charge of making the day-to-day decisions and guiding the design team. At major milestones the project will be presented to executive leadership for their approval which will inevitably come with notes. D’Amaro and the Bobs would approve a plan but in all likelihood would not be sketching out a layout for anything. In an ideal the relationship there would be enough trust and respect between the owner/executives and designers for the designers to take feedback and properly considered it, which at times would include reasoned rejection of feedback.

_caleb

Depending on the size of the project, a creative lead is going to be in charge of making the day-to-day decisions and guiding the design team. At major milestones the project will be presented to executive leadership for their approval which will inevitably come with notes. D’Amaro and the Bobs would approve a plan but in all likelihood would not be sketching out a layout for anything. In an ideal the relationship there would be enough trust and respect between the owner/executives and designers for the designers to take feedback and properly considered it, which at times would include reasoned rejection of feedback.
Yes. We saw this in action on the Imagineering Story when Bob Iger gave John Lasseter, Bob Weis, and a room full of Imagineers the brilliant creative suggestion that they add more trees to the Cars Land blueprint model.

AA4D3AB5-D813-4ED2-A08A-9BC2B11DAEFF.jpeg

lazyboy97o

Yes. We saw this in action on the Imagineering Story when Bob Iger gave John Lasseter, Bob Weis, and a room full of Imagineers the brilliant creative suggestion that they add more trees to the Cars Land blueprint model.

View attachment 493687
Seeing a still just makes this a truly priceless little moment. Just look at those faces! Hundreds of millions of dollars being spent and the best Bob can muster is “More trees.”

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom