News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

P_Radden

Central (the backstage one) became a store and work room, with a few systems still running intact. The onstage area (confusingly also known as Central)

You'd know the area when it closed as Guest Relations, a backstage corridor and Sum of All Thrills.
Would you happen to have a recent or even semi-recent photo of that area? Is it true the Epcot Center model is still up there?

rle4lunch

You know... WDO could've avoided having 60% of the park ripped apart for 2 years if they had actually cared about updating and staying ahead of the 'futureism' curve. Instead, incrementally, they pulled out all the tech that has come to fruition or has been surpassed, leaving big black holes where wonder and awe used to reside. When I saw the Epcot Experience exhibit this past February, I genuinely felt excited for the park, even if it had saturated IP's throughout the presentation. I know that IP in Epcot is (nearly) universally hated on these boards, which is fine, but when I think about the footprint that Disney has expanded since the early 80's, it's really hard not to see them incorporating all their 'greatest hit' IP's in nearly all their attractions. That said, I was really looking forward to going to Epcot once everything was completed.

Then March 2020 and the virus that shall not be named comes along. I'm really wondering what we'll get now, but the wind has definitely been taken out of my sails.

If only they could've incrementally updated the park over the last, oh, I dunno, 20 years, instead of throwing a pile of money at it in one fell swoop (said money has vanished into the covid ether). Hindsight.... I wonder if the park execs come to work each day and kick each other in the a$$ before their morning meeting?

THEMEPARKPIONEER

PHOTOS - Work slowly resumes on the demolition of the EPCOT central core
As long as they replace the Fountain of Nations and fill the standing buildings I’m happy. They should leave as is and build a pergola where the demolished building was in the same shape and have their events there, put club cool and Starbucks in the other half.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
As long as they replace the Fountain of Nations and fill the standing buildings I’m happy. They should leave as is and build a pergola where the demolished building was in the same shape and have their events there, put club cool and Starbucks in the other half.

The new hub was supposed to get a new central fountain. How fancy it would have been in unknown (except to insiders who haven't said anything, AFAIK).

Then there is the new interactive water element, Journey of Water.

Thus, this new spine project would have greatly increased water features (along with the restoration of the one in the entrance).

What's unknown is whether there will be a new hub fountain and whether Journey of Water will be built (or shifted if Communicore NW remains). All we know is that Journey of Water hasn't been announced as cancelled and is still featured in the Epcot Experience pavilion.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes

I disagree. The spine is still a collection of things you have to maneuver around and as such are choke points.

I've come back to add a snarky remark too! Perhaps if they dont rebuild another fountain and stage, Joyful! (aka Painful!) might become confused and wander somewhere else, such as a backstage area to inflict themselves on the seagulls instead of us.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom