News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

trainplane3

I’m ready for something new. I would be very disappointed if everything they showed at D23 doesn’t get built at some point in the next few years. I’m quite worried really.
I want something new too. But I want something better then a some tiny bar in the middle of a park. They can do better then that, we all know it.

WoL was pretty busy when it was the "Festival Center". This is smaller and is expected to pick up the same amount of slack? Hah.

Also, packing people into an already small building isn't going to be a good look for the time being (with the virus crap going on). So half the capacity for the leggy egg. And I know by the time it should open, this virus should be crapped out but who knows anything at this point.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I’m ready for something new. I would be very disappointed if everything they showed at D23 doesn’t get built at some point in the next few years. I’m quite worried really.
I’m quite hopeful this could be a pause for thought the park needs. Before it’s destroyed anymore.

Maybe we’ll get something proper and worthy. And not the misplaced crap from d23. Albeit too late for Energy.

tparris

I’m quite hopeful this could be a pause for thought the park needs. Before it’s destroyed anymore.

Maybe we’ll get something proper and worthy. And not the misplaced crap from d23. Albeit too late for Energy.
The park hasn’t been what it used to be in years, and IMO it wouldn’t really make much sense to try to revert it to how it was in the 80s and early 90s. It just wouldn’t really work now. I’d much rather the park become a different concept completely instead of trying to revive a decades old concept. I’m only 18 though, what do I know.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The park hasn’t been what it used to be in years, and IMO it wouldn’t really make much sense to try to revert it to how it was in the 80s and early 90s. It just wouldn’t really work now. I’d much rather the park become a different concept completely instead of trying to revive a decades old concept. I’m only 18 though, what do I know.
The 1982 version wouldn’t work today. But that doesn’t mean we should accept another Magic Kingdom and/or a bar on legs.

What it could be again is an amazing place full of cutting edge with attractions that couldn’t or wouldn’t be found in any other park. The current plan is as misguided, messy and unconnected as the park has been for the last 20 years.

But for me the current (as of 3 months ago) direction of the park is a lost cause and a missed chance. I’d rather spend a day at Seaworld. Apart from friends I’d like to see.

CaptainTeo

I've honestly been considering EPCOT a lost cause for the last few weeks, when it used to be my favourite place in the world. There's still a tiny part of me hoping that, maybe, this'll be the kick that Disney needs to stop treating the park as "eh, just shove whatever doesn't fit anywhere else in here and call it updated" and actually do something that honours what it was built to be instead of a vaguely space-themed parade of Disney stuff, but... it's been long enough that I feel like it's better for my mental health if I try not to get my hopes up about it.

Either way, I'd assume that it'll be a long time before we actually find out, so all that we can do is speculate.

lazyboy97o

What is this new concept?

DVCakaCarlF

If this pause is worth anything, who would be behind the “reconceptualization?” I doubt Bob or Bob will “awaken” to a new enlightenment...can someone page Joe Rohde or Josh D?

Homemade Imagineering

I've honestly been considering EPCOT a lost cause for the last few weeks, when it used to be my favourite place in the world. There's still a tiny part of me hoping that, maybe, this'll be the kick that Disney needs to stop treating the park as "eh, just shove whatever doesn't fit anywhere else in here and call it updated" and actually do something that honours what it was built to be instead of a vaguely space-themed parade of Disney stuff, but... it's been long enough that I feel like it's better for my mental health if I try not to get my hopes up about it.

Either way, I'd assume that it'll be a long time before we actually find out, so all that we can do is speculate.
I have been feeling the same way. For some odd and amazing reason, over the past few years I suddenly gained a massive interest and respect towards EPCOT center, or 1982 Epcot. I guess I never really payed much attention to the park beforehand, since I am more of a SoCal Park goer. I realized though how innovative everything was when EPCOT center first opened, and how amazing the attractions really were. It’s really sad to me how the park has seen a decline in quality, when any theme park around the world should see a significant increase In quality. I keep telling myself, that at some point they’ll HAVE to do something with Epcot, which they did show before COVID, even if the plans weren’t exactly what I hoped for. Still, at some point they’ll be forced to do something with Epcot, especially the sections that are in dire need of a refresh (imagination, seas with Nemo and friends, etc...), but looking at everything now, it seems that all of that may be cancelled, or just significantly delayed, which is already true for all things that haven’t been announced. Heck I wouldn’t be TOO surprised if the unannounced stuff is pushed back until next decade at the most! I still have hope though, since I know they’ll be FORCED to do something significant with Epcot at some point, even if that point is a decade away at most, if that’s what it all comes down to.

britain

I’m glad you’re hopeful, @marni1971, but I don’t see why the new approach to EPCOT (MK 2.0 with permanent festival bars) would change because of this interruption. Just the budgets would change.

Which seems like it would mean the bar on legs would become a bar on the ground... To me, that’s not very architecturally interesting and a step down. (And I don’t drink so I’m not using the bar either way.)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I’m glad you’re hopeful, @marni1971, but I don’t see why the new approach to EPCOT (MK 2.0 with permanent festival bars) would change because of this interruption. Just the budgets would change.
Good point. I see it as partly easily fixable in the future.

But I’m probably clutching at straws. I’ll enjoy Seaworld more.

Last edited:

Horizons1

So you’re going to tell me a version of the park you never set foot inside isn’t going to work today? On what basis do you make this statement because it isn’t personal experience.

Marc Davis Fan

The best option for a "cut their losses" updated Central Spine plan would seem to be removing rest of Communicore West and turning that area into green space (plus an updated Fountain of Nations or similar water feature, of course).

I think keeping the north half of Communicore West would be a weird aesthetic, while green space fits with the designs and themes of the Future World West / World Discovery pavilions (as the Communicore East buildings fit the Future World East / World Discovery pavilions).

DVCakaCarlF

EPCOT was a tough project from the get go...and, while it isn’t what everyone wants or will be, there are some obvious concepts:

1) Hotel - Has it’s own park entry, views of spaceship earth, etc. Furthermore, every country could have a hotel one day.

2) A complete space pavilion.

3) Wide open green spaces would actually be welcome...the mini parks that are built here and there are great ways to break up park. This actually fits the vision in some sense.

4) Improved entry...fountain, landscaping, lighting.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom