News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

tparris

Cables and supports are being removed!
47710CF2-F7D4-4B0F-B8DE-5752F4C7138B.jpeg

DreamfinderGuy

I was wondering about that too, so I went back and looked at the timeframe for the SW demolition.
  • Fountain View, Club Cool, etc. closures: September 8, 2019
  • Fountain View demolition begins around November 21, 2019= 10.5 weeks between closure and demolition beginning
  • SW demolition complete around January 21, 2020= 2 month demolition process
The temporary Character Spot closed January 5, so if the NW quadrant follows the same itinerary as the SW quadrant, we are potentially looking at demolition beginning the week of March 9th, and finishing up in early/mid May. Unless of course, Disney decides last minute to keep the NW quadrant.
They have done no work on the gutting of the former Innoventions exhibits before the walls went up blocking all of Future World, but the Character Spot was separately blocked off from the rest of the building after it closed.

And, there’s no way they’re keeping that quadrant after announcing the Moana expansion.

jt04

I was wondering about that too, so I went back and looked at the timeframe for the SW demolition.
  • Fountain View, Club Cool, etc. closures: September 8, 2019
  • Fountain View demolition begins around November 21, 2019= 10.5 weeks between closure and demolition beginning
  • SW demolition complete around January 21, 2020= 2 month demolition process
The temporary Character Spot closed January 5, so if the NW quadrant follows the same itinerary as the SW quadrant, we are potentially looking at demolition beginning the week of March 9th, and finishing up in early/mid May. Unless of course, Disney decides last minute to keep the NW quadrant.

It smells too.

Mark IV Fan

This honestly brought a tear to my eye. Epcot was once a park of pure beauty and meaning. Can't believe Fountain of Nations is gone.
It was a park that aspired to be the best of what human ingenuity and our senses of beauty and grandeur had to offer.

Then, once that became too cost prohibitive, Disney just said “Here, just throw in a bunch of random rides and kitschy junk everywhere.

Last edited:

build_it

The more and more I see the central area cleared out, the more and more I see a wasted opportunity. I think the new designs may turn out to be interesting, but simply clearing out that entire middle area - no pin central - no Starbucks - no bump out for Mouse Gear - makes me think they missed a big opportunity here. A sleek modern central spine could have really put EPCOT in good shape and included most or all of the items they are putting in.

tparris

The more and more I see the central area cleared out, the more and more I see a wasted opportunity. I think the new designs may turn out to be interesting, but simply clearing out that entire middle area - no pin central - no Starbucks - no bump out for Mouse Gear - makes me think they missed a big opportunity here. A sleek modern central spine could have really put EPCOT in good shape and included most or all of the items they are putting in.
But the area isn’t going to be cleared out at all when it’s done. Quite the opposite actually. I think it was time for something fresh.

Epcot82Guy

I simply think they went too far. If they were taking each of the 4 Communicore buildings down to the studs for a rebuild. A rebuilt Fountain of Nations/central area. And the new Entry - we would have really had something.

I still think a reimagined One Man's Dream should have come to Epcot. And, that would have been a perfect anchor for Dreamer's point. Take that to Northwest. Southwest became the Festival Center with the new rooftop. Reimagine MG as they will. And then redo NW into the food areas with Starbucks, Elec Umbrella 2.0 and ISC/Club Cool 3.0.

I know it's a dream - but something like that would have been more cost effective, less demo and build and kept the idea of what was there in a very new and fresh way.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom