News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

HauntedMansionFLA

Rosewalk is the pathway between FW and WS that runs next to Imagination.

There's the usual AP magnet handout so everyone rushes over for those.
My bad. Here are pictures of what was asking about.
2041E74A-2AC2-4909-907E-56129947F8F2.png
15EF13C5-3850-4CBF-B482-E965EEECD615.png
E201B3B7-4A8A-4145-AE21-10412F063D23.png
82463B3E-A857-4592-93DC-84EA749CCFF8.png

MrHappy

Funny that the general sentiment around here is the parks new direction is getting too much Disney and the new resorts get too little.

Bocabear

If you ignore context and meaning. People criticizing the hotels for lacking Disney’s past commitment to design generally are looking to have characters slapped on stuff like Epcot.
When I think about good old Disney design, I rarely think about characters...When I was a kid you might see characters, but most often not....and we were all fine with that. The architecture and design of the parks and resorts stood alone as unique(at the time) experiences.
I can justly complain about the lack of theming in their new hotels without wanting them to slap characters everywhere... Seems to be it is exactly the opposite...those that cheerlead disney for the defurbishment of the Polynesian, The modernized Mizner Lounge, and the underwhelming theme execution of the Riviera are those that also cheer Disney for replacing attractions with meet and greets...

jt04

Funny that the general sentiment around here is the parks new direction is getting too much Disney and the new resorts get too little.

These forums did not reflect the casual WDW fanbase. 99% of visitors go to WDW for Disney content. Crazy I know. 😜

UNCgolf

These forums did not reflect the casual WDW fanbase. 99% of visitors go to WDW for Disney content. Crazy I know. 😜

As much as I hate to agree with him, he's right. Not about the 99% -- that's too high. But I definitely believe that the vast majority of first time Disney World visitors are mainly looking to see Disney characters and movies.

With that said, all that is really necessary is a well executed park/rides. Plenty of people who came to Disney for Disney characters ended up loving the EPCOT of the 80s and 90s because it was so well done. The fact that it had no Disney didn't matter. Same thing for a lot of the Disney classics like Haunted Mansion and Pirates of the Caribbean. Disney can make people look forward to coming back for reasons beyond just Disney characters.

It's pretty easy for Disney to do that, considering they've successfully done it in the past. They've just decided to not bother trying and go with the cheapest/easiest route.

It also doesn't excuse the Riviera Resort, which fails regardless of how you're looking at it.

jt04

As much as I hate to agree with him, he's right. Not about the 99% -- that's too high. But I definitely believe that the vast majority of first time Disney World visitors are mainly looking to see Disney characters and movies.

With that said, all that is really necessary is a well executed park/rides. Plenty of people who came to Disney for Disney characters ended up loving the EPCOT of the 80s and 90s because it was so well done. The fact that it had no Disney didn't matter. Same thing for a lot of the Disney classics like Haunted Mansion and Pirates of the Caribbean. Disney can make people look forward to coming back for reasons beyond just Disney characters.

It's pretty easy for Disney to do that, considering they've successfully done it in the past. They've just decided to not bother trying and go with the cheapest/easiest route.

It also doesn't excuse the Riviera Resort, which fails regardless of how you're looking at it.

Not sure using IPs is the easiest or cheaper route. Definitely not for WDI as it comes with restraints on creativity. And the idea they will go back to IP free attraction is unlikely.

People want The Incredibles, Moana, Zootopia, Inside Out etc. in the parks. Look at the buzz for the runaway railroad and Ratatouille.

UNCgolf

Not sure using IPs is the easiest or cheaper route. Definitely not for WDI as it comes with restraints on creativity. And the idea they will go back to IP free attraction is unlikely.

People want The Incredibles, Moana, Zootopia, Inside Out etc. in the parks. Look at the buzz for the runaway railroad and Ratatouille.

I'm thinking of rides like Frozen Ever After and the Little Mermaid, which wouldn't work as rides at all without the familiarity of the characters/movie plots. Just throw in some animatronics and familiar songs and voila, ride complete! Much easier/cheaper than trying to tell a new story.

I agree that using IP restrains creativity, though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom