News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

lazyboy97o

Whats wrong? Let's see... if you;';re going to live in a place with experimental, prototype stuff, you have to expect it to fail. Often. (Look at the EVAC system and be thankful that wasn't installed in your house). Imagine getting up in the morning, no shower (the hydro shower is busted. Again). Can't make breakfast because the prototype has decided not to recognize your voice commands. On your way to work your experimental driverless car got lost and shut down. You'd take the PeopleMover, but its down for updates. And so on. That's why the imagineers quickly realized you could not do experimental and prototype stuff in an actual living environment where people depend on stuff to work.
That is just not how product development works. You don’t come up with an idea and then build and deploy thousands. Scaling is gradual. There is a whole process to product development and testing that can and does even involve people actually using those test products.

Unplugged

Whats wrong? Let's see... if you;';re going to live in a place with experimental, prototype stuff, you have to expect it to fail. Often. (Look at the EVAC system and be thankful that wasn't installed in your house). Imagine getting up in the morning, no shower (the hydro shower is busted. Again). Can't make breakfast because the prototype has decided not to recognize your voice commands. On your way to work your experimental driverless car got lost and shut down. You'd take the PeopleMover, but its down for updates. And so on. That's why the imagineers quickly realized you could not do experimental and prototype stuff in an actual living environment where people depend on stuff to work.
Unfortunately, if you look at technology now, the agile development cycle used by manufacturers that supports the rapid deployment of ever changing tech that so many consumers & Wall Street investors demand, has turned our real world into E.P.C.O.T. Products used to be tested fully and built to last, but no longer and are often "Experiments" that are discontinued next year. Everything tech based gets software updates continually because it's not properly tested in house, but instead is pushed to us in a near "Prototype" state. This technology shortcoming has bonded us all in a helpless virtual "Community" of consumerism. Ironically though, it's "Of Today" not tomorrow.

So while our is not E.P.C.O.T. because of facilities and infrastructure, our technological lives are indeed E.P.C.O.T. in nature. We're all living the dream! :confused:

Unplugged

That is just not how product development works. You don’t come up with an idea and then build and deploy thousands. Scaling is gradual. There is a whole process to product development and testing that can and does even involve people actually using those test products.
You're 100% right, about process but the big issue is that the product development cycle is NOT what it once was, nor is the intended life time of said products.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I remember when Disney had higher standards, didn't neglect an entire theme park for almost 2 decades, and gave a damn about things not related to movie IP and merchandise synergy in every nook and cranny, per-guest spending, and quarterly profits. I guess that makes me old and negative in your book. Quite frankly, I don't care. I expect more, and I expect better from the company that set the bar high for theme parks, a bar that has been lowered so far it's basically a speed bump these days.

Disney has now had to do several big park makeovers, DCA, DHS and now Epcot, this to me is a sign of poor management. Parks should never be allowed to get to a point where they need these big makeovers, they should be evolved over time so the big makeover is never needed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom