News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Wednesday, December 11, 2019. A better view of the demolition from the monorail. The colored panels still remaining are over the original entrance on the backside.

IMG_2634.JPG

A wider view of the front of the building, which was just behind the Fountain View coffee shop (now gone). The breezeway pass through is to the right in the below photo.

IMG_2623.JPG

MatheusPG

@marni1971 since we are talking about a second pavilion to be demolished at Epcot, why did Horizons get demolished?
If there wasn´t a sinkhole, why was it the only one to be torn down? Didn´t Mark Sklar say that there was a sinkhole, in his biography?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
@marni1971 since we are talking about a second pavilion to be demolished at Epcot, why did Horizons get demolished?
If there wasn´t a sinkhole, why was it the only one to be torn down? Didn´t Mark Sklar say that there was a sinkhole, in his biography?
No sinkhole.

In a nutshell Horizons needed a lot of money to update it - something it had never gotten unlike the rest of Futureworld. Along comes Compaq and offers to spend money on a sure fire hit thrill ride through space, to pay for a new building for it - and to remove the older building that was in the way. A win win for Disney on paper.

Mike S

No sinkhole.

In a nutshell Horizons needed a lot of money to update it - something it had never gotten unlike the rest of Futureworld. Along comes Compaq and offers to spend money on a sure fire hit thrill ride through space, to pay for a new building for it - and to remove the older building that was in the way. A win win for Disney on paper.
Oh the irony...

MatheusPG

No sinkhole.

Thanks for responding. Can you imagine if that budget went to Horizons? Wouldn´t make much more sense for Compaq to sponsor a ride that shows how technology can improve our lives and help create a better tomorrow, instead of a mission to Mars?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Isn't there still an unused expansion pad between The Seas and The Land?

Theoretically, Mission Space could have gone there, with the Horizons demolition portion of the budget going into the Space ride itself. Then Disney could have held out a little longer for a new Horizons sponsor.

Yes. Depending how much they want to work around or move Seas' infrastructure, you can squeeze in a tidy 2.4 acres of space, or, create walkways or extensions like Energy's new gravity building. If the latter, you have about 50 acres to work with (the whole area that might have been or will be new resorts).

Last edited:

Timothy_Q

Isn't there still an unused expansion pad between The Seas and The Land?

Theoretically, Mission Space could have gone there, with the Horizons demolition portion of the budget going into the Space ride itself. Then Disney could have held out a little longer for a new Horizons sponsor.
They could’ve also put Mickey in an expansion pad at DHS and saved GMR, yet here we are

jt04

Yes. Depending how much they want to work around or move Seas' infrastructure, you can a tidy 2.4 acres of space, or, create walkways or extensions like Energy's new gravity building. If the latter, you have about 50 acres to work with (the whole area that might have been or will be new resorts).

Yes, tremendous amounts of land on the west side of FW. And even more to the north if they ever add Disneyland resort style parking garages in a few decades.

The Empress Lilly

And all that could have been...

View attachment 431493

- and lost for a bar on legs.
What is heartbreaking about the current destruction of EPCOT is how close we came to a restored EPCOT.

In the halls of imagination there is a love for vintage EPCOT not very different from the one found on fan fora. But all the expression we get of it is in minor works: the entrance plaza, the return of logos, a new font. Three great movies in Canada, China and Land.

But we missed out on a restored central plaza. On a new Illuminations. On a Big Bang Energy overhaul. On a great SSE overhaul instead of the Disney Light one. And I'm sure there are more. If these had succeeded, everything of the past twenty years would've been forgiven (except Horizons). It would've restored EPCOT.

We came so tantalisingly close.

BrianLo

But the new space ride goes zoom zoom, fast fast! That's what the teenagers (who can't afford WDW trips) like, right?

In its defense, I'm sure the pitch for it actually sounded pretty enticing and appropriate for the park (Horizon removal aside). Heck, if we didn't know better and I heard the pitch for it at this D23, I'd still think it sounds great and an organic fit.

Not so much the finished product.

The Empress Lilly

In its defense, I'm sure the pitch for it actually sounded pretty enticing and appropriate for the park (Horizon removal aside). Heck, if we didn't know better and I heard the pitch for it at this D23, I'd still think it sounds great and an organic fit.

Not so much the finished product.
Personally I do think M:S a great attraction.

Thrill rides are not a good direction for EPCOT, and the presentation and story are lacking. But at its core lies a unique attraction with a real kick to it. That launch!

tparris

Personally I do think M:S a great attraction.

Thrill rides are not a good direction for EPCOT, and the presentation and story are lacking. But at its core lies a unique attraction with a real kick to it. That launch!
Yes, I agree M:S is a fairly solid attraction. Of course it doesn’t measure up to what it replaced, but it at least attempts to adhere to EPCOT’s vision, with it teaching guests about how space programs and astronaut training works and all.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom