News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

sedati

Is symmetry really a good thing in relation to crowd flow at tourist destinations? I would think distinct sightlines would be preferable for navigation. Is there any other theme park in the world that utilizes a similar design?

Imagine Disneyland if you entered through the castle instead of the train station. You then arrive in a hub which is nothing but an endless curving brick facade surrounding some nice landscaping. Exotic Adventure, Frontier Fun, Medival Fantasy, and Futuristic Thrills lie beyond... somewhere... probably. But boy, isn't the back of that castle a thing of beauty?

Last edited:

sedati

I'm not surprised.
Which do you prefer:
A:
1575843359377.png

or B:
1575843403300.png

DoleWhipDrea

The original design of EPCOT Center was very concerned with ease of guest flow and sensical direction. It’s design is inherently connected to Disneyland and Magic Kingdom’s design (which has been hailed as monumental for urban planning) with its hub and spoke design. The current plans have done away with that. The greenery is a welcome change, but the currently planned layout is lopsided and messy, IMHO.

Another way to think about it: What would Main Street look like if you tore out one entire side and replaced it with a park?

sedati

The original design of EPCOT Center was very concerned with ease of guest flow and sensical direction. It’s design is inherently connected to Disneyland and Magic Kingdom’s design (which has been hailed as monumental for urban planning) with its hub and spoke design. The current plans have done away with that. The greenery is a welcome change, but the currently planned layout is lopsided and messy, IMHO.

Epcot threw away everything learned from the castle parks.
You pass under the icon upon entering- no visual weenie leading you further, and none leading you out of the core plaza. The park is an hourglass with the top portion being an epic single path loop, and the lower a sort of bowtie.
It wasn't just scale that earned this park the moniker:

Every
Person
Comes
Out
Tired.

sedati

Another way to think about it: What would Main Street look like if you tore out one entire side and replaced it with a park?

It wouldn't look like a corridor. It would look like business on the left and relaxation on the right. It would look less like a pass through and more like a destination. It would be a jarring change to those familiar with how it had been, but not a disaster. The biggest problem would be the purpose of Main St. which is to keep you progressing forward. Communicore Plaza tried to be both Main St and hub and I'm not sure it succeeded at either.

Last edited:

sedati

As for the lack of symmetry, isn't this just phase one? Aren't we expecting at least a partial demolition of the other half after the first area is complete?

FigmentJedi

As for the lack of symmetry, isn't this just phase one? Aren't we expecting at least a partial demolition of the other half after the first area is complete?
Nope. Artwork we've seen pretty much shows East to be intact. Plus they did this before when they decided to do Storybook Circus instead of Pixie Hollow so they could keep the giant circus tent giftshop from Toontown Fair with minor changes.

Mike S

This feels like the same ole same ole. Looks too similar only with trees added in. I’m glad it wasn’t this one ultimately because it doesn’t feel like an overhaul at all.
If this plan meant they had the budget to more quickly start an Imagination redo I’d take it. That’s way more important for actually fixing the park. Plus this would’ve addressed the issues in that area fine without going crazy. Sometimes you don’t need to upend the tea table.

Last edited:

JustInTime

If this plan meant they had the budget to more quickly start an Imagination redo I’d take it. That’s way more important for actually fixing the park. Plus this would’ve addressed the issues in that area fine without going crazy. Sometimes you don’t need to upend the tea table.
I think we aren’t holding Disney to a high enough standard. It shouldn’t have been either/or. Frozen is about to cross a billion. Disney has bundles of money. The revamp should have included the plans being built and imagination. I guess that’s something we can all agree on.

Personally, I never was a massive EPCOT fan so I’m excited to see what this new project ends up looking like in the end.

Mike S

I think we aren’t holding Disney to a high enough standard. It shouldn’t have been either/or. Frozen is about to cross a billion. Disney has bundles of money. The revamp should have included the plans being built and imagination. I guess that’s something we can all agree on.

Personally, I never was a massive EPCOT fan so I’m excited to see what this new project ends up looking like in the end.
The thing is though this plan still addressed the issues that needed to be addressed. I like holding Disney to high standard but I also recognize they don’t have to always go bonkers with absolutely every project. That plan along with the new entrance plaza would’ve been more than adequate especially when other things still need attention in the very same park.

Mike S

I have zero attachment to the innoventions buildings. I am not opposed to the route they are taking but I wouldn't have been opposed to that concept either if what was inside was also done well.
For me I like what’s happening too but if Marni is correct and what it’s costing could’ve been better spent elsewhere I’d take that option.

DoleWhipDrea

I think many have now touched on why we’re really frustrated: priorities. Instead of prioritizing things like updating Imagination, they pushed it (yet again) to “phase 2.” And phase 2s often just don’t happen.

The various events that Epcot has throughout the year have continued to be very successful. Does it deserve an upgrade because it’s doing well? Sure. Is it in dire need of it? Not to the extent that other areas of the park are.

Also - everyone, even Disney, should have a budget.

Rteetz

For me I like what’s happening too but if Marni is correct and what it’s costing could’ve been better spent elsewhere I’d take that option.
Yes and no. Everything is based on ones opinion really. What I think may be best for Epcot surely isn't what Disney, Martin, or you might think. I think we all can agree Epcot needed change. I think we also all know Disney likes to over spend on projects. No matter what they do to Epcot its not going to satisfy everyone.

Mike S

Yes and no. Everything is based on ones opinion really. What I think may be best for Epcot surely isn't what Disney, Martin, or you might think. I think we all can agree Epcot needed change. I think we also all know Disney likes to over spend on projects. No matter what they do to Epcot its not going to satisfy everyone.
If this was the plan they went with and then also announced Imagination I doubt there would be many that were upset.

lazyboy97o

...but to be completely honest, the concept art for what we're getting looks at least as nice, IMHO. The "bar on legs" actually looks like a really cool piece of architecture that will add to the Epcot skyline,
A service core and empty plaza qualifies as ”really cool” architecture?

View attachment 431604
Sorry, I don't prefer this. Looks like a set of placemats. The bar on legs should at least serve as a unique feature and visual draw. This is trees and nondescript buildings. The walled city is broken up, but the addition of trees probably only confuses the layout more. Epcot overwhelms at the entrance, then immediately underwhelms. This is the core, the heart. This should be pathways to discovery. A feast for the eyes, pulling you in every direction. There is no sense of time. Of place. Of direction. Of purpose.
This looks like a pleasant spot to take your lunch break at your job in the nice office park/open air mall. This is less inspired than the uninspired Tomorrowland work everyone keeps swooning over. If this was a new project there would be riots on this board. I'd place this on par with California Adventure's original Sunshine Plaza.
The center of an experience should have some sort of spatial definition. You're describing the visual chaos of an urban strip, with everything pointing everywhere and no distinction from one place to the next.

Is symmetry really a good thing in relation to crowd flow at tourist destinations? I would think distinct sightlines would be preferable for navigation. Is there any other theme park in the world that utilizes a similar design?

Imagine Disneyland if you entered through the castle instead of the train station. You then arrive in a hub which is nothing but an endless curving brick facade surrounding some nice landscaping. Exotic Adventure, Frontier Fun, Medival Fantasy, and Futuristic Thrills lie beyond... somewhere... probably. But boy, isn't the back of that castle a thing of beauty?
Spatial symmetry does not require visual symmetry. You're also reacting to years of bad design decisions. The CommuniCore buildings were not designed to be read as solid monoliths as they ended up becoming with InnoVentions. Future World used a fundamentally different spatial organization than the Magic Kingdoms. These changes will create less definition, so they will be even further removed from the Magic Kingdom model you keep invoking.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom