News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

brb1006

Can I ask why you love those buildings so much? I visited in 1989 as a five year old, have fond memories of most of the Pavillions (WOM and Horizons we’re down for rehab) but have 0 recollections of communicore and this combined with visits later I’ve always felt those buildings to be worthless and a hassle to walk around.
Did you seen any of Martin's Tribute videos for Communicore?

Touchdown

Did you seen any of Martin's Tribute videos for Communicore?

Yes and again, I don’t get it. It seemed like a pseudo science museum that did not look nearly as fun as the Boston Science Museum I remember growing up, nor what is currently at the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago (which I realize is one of the greats, but it’s a placeI’m very familiar with.)

mitchk

Check this out. And I did not trespass some buddy must’ve left a window open for me

Attachments

• 30F8F5F6-FD72-458B-9989-1E79A73F0634.png
    30F8F5F6-FD72-458B-9989-1E79A73F0634.png
    230 KB · Views: 221
  • 87F3A3A3-1559-4231-AD2C-1C3CABEAA34C.png
    87F3A3A3-1559-4231-AD2C-1C3CABEAA34C.png
    255 KB · Views: 208
  • D56AEDC6-D79D-431F-A870-66A52A466E7A.png
    D56AEDC6-D79D-431F-A870-66A52A466E7A.png
    256 KB · Views: 197
  • 608F3769-56BD-4B45-90DB-475D82861B8A.png
    608F3769-56BD-4B45-90DB-475D82861B8A.png
    249.6 KB · Views: 212
  • EE2B534A-E61B-4277-8FCC-BD1B30A7F3DD.png
    EE2B534A-E61B-4277-8FCC-BD1B30A7F3DD.png
    247.8 KB · Views: 209

Goofyernmost

Goodnight sweet prince even though I never was in the building in its prime
I'm almost embarrassed to admit it, but, if there was ever anything in there, it wasn't seen by me. The one on the east side for sure, but, I don't recall ever going inside that one, only through the breezeway. I was there just about every year since 1983, and like I said, if something was being done inside I do not recall it at all.

trainplane3

Goodnight sweet prince even though I never was in the building in its prime
I'll just assume your username is you bday year. I'm only slightly older but I at least got to experience Innoventions. It was quite a fun place. Lots of "tech" to play with. Having Tom Morrow 2.0 greet you as you walked in. It was such a fun place. So much to see and do. Sure they were giant ads because of the sponsorship model but they made it fun to "learn". I'll never forget coming back home and bragging to all of my friends of what I got to do and see in Innoventions.

However, I remember how much little me didn't like the maze-like feeling of the building.

Sadly they got a budget and instead of injecting some good ol' 'roids into the building to make it better then ever they're going with the process of "we should build new just because we have $$" instead of putting money towards things that REALLY need help...Imagination...

lazyboy97o

Can I ask why you love those buildings so much? I visited in 1989 as a five year old, have fond memories of most of the Pavillions (WOM and Horizons we’re down for rehab) but have 0 recollections of communicore and this combined with visits later I’ve always felt those buildings to be worthless and a hassle to walk around.
Aside from fondness for exhibits long past, the CommuniCore provided spatial organization to Future World. Well crafted space is key to a strong themed experience. The new Neighborhoods are an assortment of buildings with no physical expression of their connection. The new Festival Center is also, in all likelihood, less flexible and adaptive to the future needs than the building being torn down. All of these is also costing a lot of money, so it’s paying a lot more for something less.

Touchdown

I’m not saying what is currently planned is better, but two semi circular 80s functional minimalist buildings have never screamed great design to me (Fountain of Nations and Spaceship Earth on the other hand were/are amazing) I feel like four buildings each dedicated to one function (main gift store, casual resturants, character meet and great, festival center) that were smaller in size with more green space and a giant water feature would better serve the area but that’s just me.

lazyboy97o

I’m not saying what is currently planned is better, but two semi circular 80s functional minimalist buildings have never screamed great design to me (Fountain of Nations and Spaceship Earth on the other hand were/are amazing) I feel like four buildings each dedicated to one function (main gift store, casual resturants, character meet and great, festival center) that were smaller in size with more green space and a giant water feature would better serve the area but that’s just me.
The CommuniCore buildings allowed for more green space. It also could have organized those functions into distinct quadrants, while providing spatial organization which is part of the design of a building and the larger spaces of a theme parks. As the demolition shows, their look could have easily been updated.

Stripes

The CommuniCore buildings allowed for more green space. It also could have organized those functions into distinct quadrants, while providing spatial organization which is part of the design of a building and the larger spaces of a theme parks. As the demolition shows, their look could have easily been updated.
In terms of exterior, it’s hard to fathom the Communicore buildings looking much different from a big Apple Store post-renovation. Not bad by any means, but not exactly jaw dropping. In my humble opinion, EPCOT deserves better.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I feel like four buildings each dedicated to one function (main gift store, casual resturants, character meet and great, festival center) that were smaller in size with more green space and a giant water feature would better serve the area but that’s just me.
Ironically that was the plan we didn’t get. Size would have appeared smaller by removing the roofs between each pair of buildings, opening the windows up again and a huge new landscaping project. And a reimagined FoN.

jt04

Ironically that was the plan we didn’t get. Size would have appeared smaller by removing the roofs between each pair of buildings, opening the windows up again and a huge new landscaping project. And a reimagined FoN.

I like this plan but my hunch is that in a decade people will happier they took the more ambitious route. If you get a chance to watch the latest Imagineering documentary episode both Iger and Rohde talk about the need to avoid the parks remaining too static.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I like this plan but my hunch is that in a decade people will happier they took the more ambitious route. If you get a chance to watch the latest Imagineering documentary episode both Iger and Rohde talk about the need to avoid the parks remaining too static.
Do tell us what is ambitious about going smaller and less flexible.

EJ96

There’s nothing ambitious about knocking down buildings and putting trees and nature features in their spot.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom