News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

ImperfectPixie

You would think that any brand new lighting would conform to preventing or, at least, diminishing, light pollution.

Or, let you look across the park at night to see the park rather than be blinded by lights.

What should have been done is to put strips of LEDs on the underside of the railing balustrade.
AMEN! Low, ambient lighting is so much better. Honestly, bright lights like those give me a headache fairly quickly unless I'm able to move them so they're out of my direct field of vision (like an adjustable lamp).

TJJohn12

You would think that any brand new lighting would conform to preventing or, at least, diminishing, light pollution.

Or, let you look across the park at night to see the park rather than be blinded by lights.

What should have been done is to put strips of LEDs on the underside of the railing balustrade.

I think there’s likely a happier medium than simple downlighting from the balustrades. Frankly, there are some sections of the parks that truly bother me with how dark they are (and this is before dimming for shows, etc.).

EPCOT is not the worst offender on that front - Fantasyland takes that cake hands down. The entire back path around back of 7DMT feels so dark and relatively unsafe. It feels like you’re going to be jumped by bandits from behind the Triton statue sometimes.

For EPCOT, I’d love to see these types of fixtures, but focused more directionally downward - either through lenticular/focusing lenses in the sheafs or via internal direction LEDs, rather than the straight bars they seem to be using now.

From a show perspective, though, I love the aesthetic of these fixtures. Whereas balustrade lighting exists... everywhere on earth now. These really help with placemaking.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
EPCOT is not the worst offender on that front - Fantasyland takes that cake hands down. The entire back path around back of 7DMT feels so dark and relatively unsafe. It feels like you’re going to be jumped by bandits from behind the Triton statue sometimes.

I've complained about that, too.

Meanwhile, the bright spotlights in Tomorrowland Terrance don't get lowered for the fireworks, and neither does town square.

WDW needs a team of lighting professionals... not imagineers who are lighting a special FX, but real lighting professionals who know their stuff with regard to measuring lumens and avoiding light pollution to do a thorough refurb of all the lighting everywhere. And to change that one bulb in the popcorn light string that's out.

TJJohn12

I've complained about that, too.

Meanwhile, the bright spotlights in Tomorrowland Terrance don't get lowered for the fireworks, and neither does town square.

WDW needs a team of lighting professionals... not imagineers who are lighting a special FX, but real lighting professionals who know their stuff with regard to measuring lumens and avoiding light pollution to do a thorough refurb of all the lighting everywhere. And to change that one bulb in the popcorn light string that's out.

Amen! There’s tons of amazing shifts and tweaks in directional lighting that could easily be put in place on existing fixtures around the world - particularly World Showcase - to cast more pleasant, safe, comfortable lighting while still preserving show. I know we’re “on stage” in the parks, but stage lighting is not the best way to light public settings.

jt04

I agree. If light is in your eyes, it's difficult to see what is around you. They need to light the pathway to see where we are walking, and use other lighting to highlight the area around.

Pandora is a great example. This should and could help the Fantasyland expansion areas also if added. Lighting is becoming as important as any other element. I think it is largely responsible for the growing success of after hour events.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom