News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

UNCgolf

For me the very early 90s EPCOT Center was the golden age.

I think my first trip was in 88, but I was pretty young and don't remember much (other than my very specific memory of believing we had actually gone under the ocean in the Living Seas). I was back at some point in the early 90s and that's when I fell in love with EPCOT. The mid-late 90s EPCOT was still the best theme park in the world, despite the changes that had started (like Innoventions). Most of the original park was still there until the very late 90s when things like Horizons and the original Imagination closed permanently, and then EPCOT really started going downhill.

mikejs78

Premium Member
"four neighborhoods that each speak to important aspects of the world and its people "
Not sure how Guardians of the Galaxy remotely fits into that unless our Marvel friends are going to educate us about renewable energy during a roller coaster ride.
I believe that it is at least partially about the origins of our Galaxy.

ThatMouse

I believe that it is at least partially about the origins of our Galaxy.

Considering how Frozen has nothing to do with Norway, I kinda doubt testosterone boy, raccoon and tree beard are going to mansplain us how galaxies work, but I like your optimism, kinda like a children's program explaining how far stars are. Better than let's help Star Lord get back the crystal by getting on this ride.

CJR

I used DME monday and tuesday while we were at the parks, and it wasnt changed, and i just checked it and its gone today, so i believe this is the case.

Mine showed it removed (on MDE) on Tuesday, could be an app specific thing. I use android, could be that as well.

mikejs78

Premium Member
Considering how Frozen has nothing to do with Norway, I kinda doubt testosterone boy, raccoon and tree beard are going to mansplain us how galaxies work, but I like your optimism, kinda like a children's program explaining how far stars are. Better than let's help Star Lord get back the crystal by getting on this ride.
It's a little more than my optimism - it stated as much on the Disney Parks Blog after D23.

misfitdoll

Reposting this here, as my thread was deleted.

I cannot stop thinking about EPCOT and how badly misunderstood it is. I've listened to others try to put the park into words, and they are usually missing the point because the original intent of the park has been butchered so badly over time, but I believe it is a message that would resonate deeply if restored.

Humanity can and should break out of the destructive tiny little boxes our 2019-era society has created. People are willingly, unwittingly imprisoning themselves on social media that force people to think small, and in pithy click-baity, retweetable moments. Tiny little white noise thoughts are being frantically sent into the digital ether-- and all of this tiny nonsense is siphoning off human energy that could be used *productively*. We have more tools to DO cool stuff than ever before, yet humans are spinning in circles and staring at screens.

EPCOT is an exploration in how big life on Earth really is. It's almost a mini-model of the world. It is a gentle reminder to us all of how much there is to do and learn; how many cultures and foods and ideas and POTENTIAL are out there, waiting for us to discover and understand them and apply them to our inner model of the world. These are concepts that can soften, enlighten, and inspire guests to use their imaginations (cough cough) to create new, better things. Our Parks/Products/Plastics Chairman says they want things to be more Disney? This IS Disney. This is the actual magic.

It is comforting and hopeful to be reminded that life is a big thing. Go rewatch the opening day speech, and think in terms of the 2019 lens. I understand that technology moved so fast, almost too fast, and that the birth of the internet made EPCOT seem antiquated. What if it was actually ahead of its time?

From a business perspective, this could be a gold mine if appropriately harnessed. If the leadership really understood the park and its potential they could market it like crazy. The 1980s and 90s are massively on-trend right now, and the children of Epcot Center are now your moms and dads booking Disney trips. The current thing they are trying to force in Future World is going to ruin the park. Rebrand it back to what it was and give it a clever conceptual hashtag if you must, Disney, and just see what happens. If we can dream it, we can do it-- now more than ever.

kevlightyear

That happened a while ago
I believe what you saw posted earlier was a hidden file pre-downloaded to the app which only went live today.
I used DME monday and tuesday while we were at the parks, and it wasnt changed, and i just checked it and its gone today, so i believe this is the case.
Mine showed it removed (on MDE) on Tuesday, could be an app specific thing. I use android, could be that as well.
I’m iPhone and it went earlier this week.
That version of the map showed up on their servers on Sept. 6. It usually takes 2-5 days for a version to go live on the websites/apps after showing up on the server. It takes time for all of those images to be processed.

azox

Reposting this here, as my thread was deleted.

I cannot stop thinking about EPCOT and how badly misunderstood it is. I've listened to others try to put the park into words, and they are usually missing the point because the original intent of the park has been butchered so badly over time, but I believe it is a message that would resonate deeply if restored.

Humanity can and should break out of the destructive tiny little boxes our 2019-era society has created. People are willingly, unwittingly imprisoning themselves on social media that force people to think small, and in pithy click-baity, retweetable moments. Tiny little white noise thoughts are being frantically sent into the digital ether-- and all of this tiny nonsense is siphoning off human energy that could be used *productively*. We have more tools to DO cool stuff than ever before, yet humans are spinning in circles and staring at screens.

Just like Wall-e. (maybe that will be the next big attraction! <just kidding>)

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 86

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom