News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
It does feel like Epcot is losing a kidney
People with one kidney function just fine, and if they "lose a kidney" through donation, it means someone else now has a functioning kidney in place of being on dialysis for the rest of their lives.

So "losing a kidney" is not the bad thing you make it out to be.

Indianajonze

People with one kidney function just fine, and if they "lose a kidney" through donation, it means someone else now has a functioning kidney in place of being on dialysis for the rest of their lives.

So "losing a kidney" is not the bad thing you make it out to be.
ok. but it's not optimal, ideal or encouraged

flynnibus

Premium Member
Here's the Walt statue
EC1gMLlUUAAZhca.jpg

Whose got the art showing the kids climbing up on his shoulders... and climbing all over it?

RoysCabin

I do feel a bit cold after these announcements, but perhaps a lot of that was how it seemed they were teasing a lot more but ended up not really revealing much that wasn't already expected. I give them points for at least being bold with their redesign ideas, even if I don't totally agree with the choices, and appreciate that the idea does seem to feel a bit like creating a community center (CommuniCore?) in a 21st century model, but it's just hard to stay too excited when you know pavilions like the Seas and Imagination are crying out to be given new life, but there's not even a word on them.

Ultimately, I think it comes down to only having so much faith in the current management to deliver something that feels like true Disney, as opposed to their current idea of what "more Disney" is: recognized movie characters. I'm glad they don't seem to have gone overboard on that front for the EPCOT redesign, but it'd be nice to get an announcement of something totally new to the park, or any of the parks, for that matter, that's an original concept and not a film tie-in. To me, "true/more Disney" means a million different things, from the films and TV to weird cartoons about math to nature documentaries to Walt being obsessed with urban mass transit options and other new tech, so Chapek saying "more Disney" mostly in reference to "more characters" is always dispiriting.

Heck, we're so on our toes about this that some of us are freaking out that something in the Spaceship Earth refurb concept art looked too much like something from Moana, but I can't blame people for being jumpy. I'll admit, the idea that HarmoniUS is going to pretty much be Disney movie music was a huge downer for me, considering I can hear those tunes literally almost everywhere else on property, especially with how beautiful Illuminations has always been in both content and message.

Still, the work has only just begun, so I hope to visit there some time in the next few years and feel good about what's going down. It's just, again, I have a hard time giving the current management the benefit of the doubt.

Maybe that there's a natural disasters going on in that country right now and that they didn't think that the timing would be good? Or maybe some issues came up with the sponsor?

Hate to say it, but I don't think there's too much "natural" about what's happening to the forest right now, which might've made it an even touchier subject to bring up at the presentation.

RoysCabin

All the same people who are planning their 2020 trip.

Well, no: I was there this summer to see my baby nephew's first trip, I might end up back there in 2021 or 2022 since a good friend wants to go down there for Food and Wine at some point, but the days of going for my own enjoyment have kind of ebbed away. It's too bad: I grew up privileged enough to get to visit WDW every year as a kid, and I wouldn't have minded trying that as an adult or with my potential future children, but I think I'm down to being a "once every handful of years" visitor.

OSUPhantom

I feel like I'm the only one who is happy with the direction the park is going in. When I started going to Disney about 14 years ago Epcot was my favorite park, after years of neglect and the natural way that a park around innovation cannot innovate fast enough I realized about 5 years ago, Future World was just sad. Refocusing the park on more timeless topics like discovery, nature, and celebration (of the human spirit) futureproofs the park while being more true to what I always thought the original spirit was than what we have now. I'm excited for Epcot's future.

UNCgolf

I feel like I'm the only one who is happy with the direction the park is going in. When I started going to Disney about 14 years ago Epcot was my favorite park, after years of neglect and the natural way that a park around innovation cannot innovate fast enough I realized about 5 years ago, Future World was just sad. Refocusing the park on more timeless topics like discovery, nature, and celebration (of the human spirit) futureproofs the park while being more true to what I always thought the original spirit was than what we have now. I'm excited for Epcot's future.

I'm okay with it (don't love it), only because I know there was no chance they were ever going to bring the park back to its 1980s/early 90s heyday. It's far better than what they could have done to the park.

rudyjr13

You are not alone. There are loud voices on here that are making the most noise. It was definitely super cool being 6-10 years old in the late 80s going to EPCOT Center. I have fond memories exploring the technology exhibits in Communicore and seeing space outfit Mickey.

However it’s 2019 and the landscape of personal technology is completely different. I’m a VP in technology for an advertising company in charge of supporting 250+ people. Tech has changed dramatically over the past 10 years. Disney tried to keep up the exhibits with Innoventions but I believe they couldn’t possibly match the iOS and android devices we all carry with us. Having sample Xbox or PlayStation games or “how to recycle” activities is silly now that you have a gaming device in your pocket.

Do I think Mission to Space < Horizons? Of course I do. Am I furious with the state of Imagination pavilion? Yes. At the same time I understand why they are doing what they announced and like others have said, it’s exciting to me because of how crappy the current experience is in Future World.

If you want to get upset about something it’s the insane increase in costs to enjoy these parks over the past 10 years. That’s the real issue. But if you hate all these changes don’t go. I’ll be there and in between trips I’ll be enjoying the new Star Wars and Marvel movies as well as streaming Disney +

odmichael

You are not alone. There are loud voices on here that are making the most noise. It was definitely super cool being 6-10 years old in the late 80s going to EPCOT Center. I have fond memories exploring the technology exhibits in Communicore and seeing space outfit Mickey.

However it’s 2019 and the landscape of personal technology is completely different. I’m a VP in technology for an advertising company in charge of supporting 250+ people. Tech has changed dramatically over the past 10 years. Disney tried to keep up the exhibits with Innoventions but I believe they couldn’t possibly match the iOS and android devices we all carry with us. Having sample Xbox or PlayStation games or “how to recycle” activities is silly now that you have a gaming device in your pocket.

Do I think Mission to Space < Horizons? Of course I do. Am I furious with the state of Imagination pavilion? Yes. At the same time I understand why they are doing what they announced and like others have said, it’s exciting to me because of how crappy the current experience is in Future World.

If you want to get upset about something it’s the insane increase in costs to enjoy these parks over the past 10 years. That’s the real issue. But if you hate all these changes don’t go. I’ll be there and in between trips I’ll be enjoying the new Star Wars and Marvel movies as well as streaming Disney +
The negatives on here are for things much deeper I believe.

If you ask what attractions are people’s favorite in Epcot’s current state, they are likely to tell you Test Track or Soarin or Mission Space. Most people will not tell you Frozen or Nemo. Epcot is a theme park that has been very unique for generations in that it defines itself instead of letting other parts of the Disney universe defining it. It has been a grounded park where the “fantasy” of the park comes from real-life possibilities. It stems from culture, technology, and innovation.

From this D23, the main attractions and updates attractions we are getting:
- Guardians of the Galaxy
- Ratatouille
- Mary Poppins
- Moana
- Coco?
- Spaceship Earth Update

Besides the spaceship Earth Update, all of Epcot’s new attractions are things that will change how we define Epcot. I have no doubt I will enjoy the Guardians of the Galaxy ride. When it’s done I may even think it’s the best ride in the park. However, it’s being placed in the category of “World Discovery.” I am not really sure what kind of discovery I will get out of Guardians. What was an attraction that had taught me about the possibilities of energy may never teach me or make me have that sense of wonder again.

I love the concept of breaking up future world into these new worlds. Yet it is still going to be difficult for many of us to go to this new Epcot and have it feel like the Epcot we know and love. I will go and enjoy it as you all will. However, I know the feeling of culture and technology, and innovation that has defined Epcot for generations may not be the same on the other side of this new Epcot...

wedenterprises

I agree with you. I'm completely excited about where Epcot is heading now. I love everything they showed us.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The idea the park needs a connecting identity is dead. Look at what they’ve done with DCA.... look at what they’ve done with DHS. And those parks had very literal connecting fibers.... and it’s been completely tossed aside.

EPCOT is just following that trend. I think the problem has just been so large... it’s taken them this long to get the stones to start.

That’s the path this company has been taking for the last 15 years. The war was lost sometime ago... it’s just taken this long for the change to propagate :/

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom