News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

tparris

I found recreations of the new logos on Twitter:
8FE2B758-DF25-4E16-886C-4452C12977EC.jpeg

hpyhnt 1000

"The Innoventions buildings look old and tired and should go"
Oh look what wonders white paint and clear windows make:
View attachment 401225

Exactly! There really was no reason the Communicore complex couldn't have been saved in its entirety. At least half of it seems to be getting a proper refurbishment and re-purpose, so that's some consolation. Could've been worse.

I posted the comment below more than 2 years ago (!) on another thread. A lot of it still rings true re: Communicore and the central spine.

Precisely. Epcot is only in the dying state it's in because Disney couldn't be bothered to properly follow through on updates or any kind of vision for the park. Demolishing the Communicore complex would be yet another stupid, stupid decision. I was wondering why the Blue Sky art showed so much empty space behind SSE; guess now we know why. Trees, water, and plants are always welcome, but this is a theme park - there also need to be shops, restaurants, and, you know, attractions!

Seems like a few Imagineers could be on a bit of an ego trip, or have the misguided opinion that remaking Epcot means you have to demolish large chunks of the original park. In their quest to be the ones who "save" Epcot they're ignoring what the park could be, destroying a lot of what it got right, and still don't seem to understand what it actually needs to succeed.

To me, that picture resembles the (almost completed) new headquarters of a certain company in California. It's going to be a massive building built in circular form, with floor to ceiling windows for walls, multiple levels, interior pathways, an open concept, and manicured grounds. Sound familiar?

Screen_Shot_2013-04-30_at_10.14.42_AM.jpg

ccore-1983-jpg.218782

2A7D855700000578-3159017-The_cafeteria_will_also_feature_an_outside_dining_and_picnic_are-a-28_1436777192082.jpg

cmcrext.JPG

Literally a few cosmetic changes is all it would take. What was sleek and modern in 1982 and can still be today.

EPCOT Center truly was a showcase of the future.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
so here's my summary of the MASSIVE overhaul that's happening now/will happen:

What we know is changing already:
- Guardians of the Galaxy Ride
- Play pavilion where Wonders of Life used to be
- Demolishing of West Innoventions buildings that held Starbucks, Club Cool, the meet and greets and practically nothing else
- New water feature area themed to Moana
- New China film
- New Canada film
- New Space restaurant in the Mission:Space building
- New Entrance way that looks like the original and the original fountain back
- Updated restaurant where Electric Umbrella is now
- New elevated garden/park recreation space of some kind
- Ratatouille Ride in the France pavilion
- New Attraction Preview center in the Odyssey restaurant building

What we think they'll announce??
- Coco overlay in the Mexico pavilion
- New Brazil pavilion
- Update to the Imagination Pavilion (keeping Figment)
- Update to Spaceship Earth ride (maybe even adding lighting to the exterior)
- Update to the Living Seas (???)
- New attraction to the UK Pavilion (Alice in Wonderland?)

edit:

- Epcot Forever
- Epcot after Forever

Last edited:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
What we think they'll announce??
- Coco overlay in the Mexico pavilion Addition possibly
- New Brazil pavilion 50/50
- Update to the Imagination Pavilion (keeping Figment) unlikely
- Update to Spaceship Earth ride (maybe even adding lighting to the exterior) probable
- Update to the Living Seas (???) unlikely
- New attraction to the UK Pavilion (Alice in Wonderland?) Mary Poppins

trainplane3

Exactly! There really was no reason the Communicore complex couldn't have been saved in its entirety. At least half of it seems to be getting a proper refurbishment and re-purpose, so that's some consolation. Could've been worse.

I posted the comment below more than 2 years ago (!) on another thread. A lot of it still rings true re: Communicore and the central spine.
That's funny because I think I was in that thread and said the same exact thing.

brihow

Why is the moana water feature being called a new attraction in all the media, its just a large walk through lush waterfall feature area right? You would think it was a ride or something or at least that is what news sources are making it sound like.
For the past 20-30 years they've been calling anything more exciting than a trashcan an 'ATTRACTION!'.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom