News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

ChillSeaker

The Walt Disney Company having decided the future is both 1) too expensive and 2) to difficult to actually positively impact, removes future world to give us festival world. A much expanded garden suitable for shoving overpriced food carts, and beers of many more nations. Chapek and everyone associated with this should be beyond ashamed for the lack of respect they have shown the imagineers who created the original EPCOT center and those of us who love it and the other Disney theme parks. Yes keeping up with the future is a real challenge. This company used to rise to them not find an on the cheap solution to avoid them. Every thing they have announced so far just makes me depressed.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
The Walt Disney Company having decided the future is both 1) too expensive and 2) to difficult to actually positively impact, removes future world to give us festival world. A much expanded garden suitable for shoving overpriced food carts, and beers of many more nations. Chapek and everyone associated with this should be beyond ashamed for the lack of respect they have shown the imagineers who created the original EPCOT center and those of us who love it and the other Disney theme parks. Yes keeping up with the future is a real challenge. This company used to rise to them not find an on the cheap solution to avoid them. Every thing they have announced so far just makes me depressed.

No, its the demise of heavy-handed Edu-tainment with points predicated in rapidly changing fields of technology. The development-funding-implementation cycle of Imagineering cant keep pace.

mightynine

"Revealing Sunday" with a bunch of posters for extinct attractions. Wonder what that means?
View attachment 400889View attachment 400890
Also, "On the brink of a new age, October 1, 2019.

Dammit, I'd buy a few of those prints. Nice design.

As for what I'm seeing for the park's transformation, it would be nice to have something resembling a theme. But these days, a Disney's theme park theme is Disney, not something separate.

ChillSeaker

No, its the demise of heavy-handed Edu-tainment with points predicated in rapidly changing fields of technology. The development-funding-implementation cycle of Imagineering cant keep pace.
Which is exactly why the imagine years weren’t supposed to do it alone it was Designed to be a technological showcase for partner corporations as well.
Unfortunately the company ceased being partner friendly under Michael Eisner

There was nothing wrong with edutainment. It worked in some pavilions better than others but the concept was right and it was all about a hopeful future and a way to solve today’s problems. I think that resonates now more than ever

TJJohn12

From another thread, but maybe it should be here too

Can I ask (or rather can you answer) how long ago that sketch was formulated? You’ve been saying for a while things were shifting. The “coffee table” seems to be at center now where you had it off center in your sketch. In essence - do you think you were more right than the concept art in terms of final look.

Basically, I trust you more than concept art... but I really want to trust this concept art. ;-)

bclane

I think most of us would prefer 1980s EPCOT Center. But that’s probably never coming back. And we all know they are gonna cram IP into all the parks. With that in mind, I’m thrilled by what we’ve seen so far. I mean they could have turned Spaceship Earth into the Death Star. I guess I just have hope that even with the IP mandate, we’re getting some nice things to enjoy in EPCOT based on what we’re seeing. I can’t wait to see what they’re gonna do with Imagination. I’ve been in there maybe twice in the last five years and I live here.

Last edited:

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Which is exactly why the imagine years weren’t supposed to do it alone it was Designed to be a technological showcase for partner corporations as well.

That ship has sailed as there are other more effective venues that have evolved to soak up most of those advertising budgets these days. Unless it's a direct consumer good or service, the demographics of the average park guest doesn't effectively line up with their products.

Thats the current crop of sponsors like Pandora, Le Groupe Bel, Joffery's etc. do match

World_Showcase_Lover007

Not loving what I’m seeing...lots of food/retail...doesn’t capture the spirit of Epcot and isn’t why I pay good money to go to a park. DAK is the place for winding paths and green spaces, not Epcot. What made Epcot special was that the core space behind spaceship Earth by the fountain of nations brought everyone together in a shared space. If there are numerous meandering paths then that is all lost. We share the future as one community.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom