News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

bUU

Just remember what someone in another thread told me recently, if Disney tries to go back to they way they used to run the parks it would result in retirees not being able to pay their bills. Think of the elderly when you criticize Disney's next big money grabbing move. ;)
Of course, what you're saying here is just a vapid rationalization for a maniacal fixation on considering only what would be better if the world was arrayed to please you as a guest. And another thing... Does blinding yourself to the realities - realities that are going to shape what is offered to you regardless of your bravado - actually make your experience of Disney better? Or does it foster a never-ending series of disappointments and frustration? What your comment does have me wondering about now is just how pervasive this cavalier rudeness toward the older generation will be, as we retire this month. Is "let the old people whither so we younger people can have more fun" an acceptable attitude now? Of course, of course, you'll disclaim that that was your intent, and you'll make up other rationalizations and offer other rejoinders to try to justify the egoistic ridicule you want to direct at those who have a different view, but just remember that things are going to be as they're going to be despite such nonsense. Again, ask yourself: What do you really get out of holding on to your disregard for the reality of the situation? Is the visceral thrill of expressing disappointment and frustration really worth what you lose in the process?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Of course, what you're saying here is just a vapid rationalization for a maniacal fixation on considering only what would be better if the world was arrayed to please you as a guest. And another thing... Does blinding yourself to the realities - realities that are going to shape what is offered to you regardless of your bravado - actually make your experience of Disney better? Or does it foster a never-ending series of disappointments and frustration? What your comment does have me wondering about now is just how pervasive this cavalier rudeness toward the older generation will be, as we retire this month. Is "let the old people whither so we younger people can have more fun" an acceptable attitude now? Of course, of course, you'll disclaim that that was your intent, and you'll make up other rationalizations and offer other rejoinders to try to justify the egoistic ridicule you want to direct at those who have a different view, but just remember that things are going to be as they're going to be despite such nonsense. Again, ask yourself: What do you really get out of holding on to your disregard for the reality of the situation? Is the visceral thrill of expressing disappointment and frustration really worth what you lose in the process?

How do you know that I am not part of the older generation?

trainplane3

You look pretty youthful in your avatar.
Trying to figure out why I never saw it before...

Brad Bishop

I've never understood why Disney, one of the leaders in creativity, can't create a Journey Into Imagination that blows us all away. That's one instance where the original ride was better than its successors, but it could still be SO MUCH MORE!

I've thought the same. Journey Into Imagination literally could be anything AND it could be jaw-dropping but it never was, nor will it ever be.

RSoxNo1

Technology has made the original business model for Epcot obsolete. Disney could promise companies millions of annual visitors (with good disposable income) to which they could showcase their products and services by sponsoring a pavilion in Future World. Now those same companies can reach the same audiences via the Internet at a lower cost than investing millions annually with Disney.

I would hate to see Epcot lose its promise of showcasing new technology. Perhaps in the same way that they host "food and spirits" festivals for a couple of months at a time, they could host the theme-park equivalent of cutting edge trade shows. I'd be just as happy to schedule my visit during one of those times.
People haven't stopped innovating. Heck, the place were innovation has evolved the most since 10/1/1982 has been communication and that's currently the signature attraction for the park. I'd argue that back in the day Horizons was more of a thesis attraction for Future World, but the point is still there. The goal for the park was to be inspirational and aspirational. Inspire creativity and innovation and aspire to unite communities around the world.

OvertheHorizon

People haven't stopped innovating. Heck, the place were innovation has evolved the most since 10/1/1982 has been communication and that's currently the signature attraction for the park. I'd argue that back in the day Horizons was more of a thesis attraction for Future World, but the point is still there. The goal for the park was to be inspirational and aspirational. Inspire creativity and innovation and aspire to unite communities around the world.
I don't dispute the inspirational and aspirational goal for EPCOT Center. But Disney's business model was: We're going to build an energy pavilion and have Exxon pay for it; the Bell System will sponsor a communications pavilion; Kraft will be happy to pay for one that focuses on food and farming. They could offer 10 million or so visitors a year (a captive audience) for those corporate underwriters. Over the years, the internet and other technology has given those same companies cheaper and more expansive ways to reach their customers.

Walt Disney's original vision for his Community of Tomorrow suggested that it would always be "showcasing new technology." They tried to incorporate that into the original Communicore (and later, somewhat, in Innoventions).

I still LOVE Epcot. Horizons was my favorite pavilion. I honestly think it might still be there if its sponsor hadn't acquired its own theme park just up the road (especially since GE had such a long history of collaboration with Disney dating back to the 1964 Worlds Fair). There is no question that the park has been in decline for the last fifteen or twenty years. World Showcase, at its opening, touted three additions that have never come to fruition (Spain, Israel, and Equatorial Africa). Where there was once room to showcase 19 countries, two of those have been taken up for the Frozen expansion and Remy's Ratatouille ride. I also understand that consumer desires change. Six pavilions with slow-moving dark rides isn't in fashion any more. We want thrills along with our entertainment. I still think Disney can achieve that while at the same time inspiring creativity and innovation. I look forward to D23 and (hopefully) a better look at their vision for a new Epcot.

starri42

Perhaps. When the subject has come up, the reason stated is that they haven't had the sponsorships.
I'm sure that's true as well, but they already knew a more direct competitor was coming just up the road when Eisner came aboard. I can't imagine that didn't play into the decision as well.

eddie104

I don't dispute the inspirational and aspirational goal for EPCOT Center. But Disney's business model was: We're going to build an energy pavilion and have Exxon pay for it; the Bell System will sponsor a communications pavilion; Kraft will be happy to pay for one that focuses on food and farming. They could offer 10 million or so visitors a year (a captive audience) for those corporate underwriters. Over the years, the internet and other technology has given those same companies cheaper and more expansive ways to reach their customers.

Walt Disney's original vision for his Community of Tomorrow suggested that it would always be "showcasing new technology." They tried to incorporate that into the original Communicore (and later, somewhat, in Innoventions).

I still LOVE Epcot. Horizons was my favorite pavilion. I honestly think it might still be there if its sponsor hadn't acquired its own theme park just up the road (especially since GE had such a long history of collaboration with Disney dating back to the 1964 Worlds Fair). There is no question that the park has been in decline for the last fifteen or twenty years. World Showcase, at its opening, touted three additions that have never come to fruition (Spain, Israel, and Equatorial Africa). Where there was once room to showcase 19 countries, two of those have been taken up for the Frozen expansion and Remy's Ratatouille ride. I also understand that consumer desires change. Six pavilions with slow-moving dark rides isn't in fashion any more. We want thrills along with our entertainment. I still think Disney can achieve that while at the same time inspiring creativity and innovation. I look forward to D23 and (hopefully) a better look at their vision for a new Epcot.
Well you seem more optimistic then over the half the people on here but I do agree with your entire post.

mgf

Are we really losing Fountain of Nations for a Moana water feature? This is a pretty weak thematic/IP tie in -- even for current EPCOT.

eddie104

Are we really losing Fountain of Nations for a Moana water feature? This is a pretty weak thematic/IP tie in -- even for current EPCOT.
It’s all rumors and speculation so I wouldn’t get too worried. But yes the fountain is going way though. 🙁

nickys

Premium Member

Hey, this is, and I quote, going to be an “iconic” fountain! Which will “offer a fresh take on a classic water feature”, no less. 🙄

In which case, why not leave the classic water feature alone? :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

The quotes come from the latest issue of Disney Files. And would seem to confirm the Fountain of Nations is going. 😢

Haymarket2008

I think the rumored Moana feature isn't going to be the replacement for Fountain of Nations. Wasn't there talk of creating a water feature a la FoN that extends down toward the World Showcase promenade that would be incorporate into the new IllumiNations?

nickys

Premium Member
I think the rumored Moana feature isn't going to be the replacement for Fountain of Nations. Wasn't there talk of creating a water feature a la FoN that extends down toward the World Showcase promenade that would be incorporate into the new IllumiNations?

I so want this to be the case. It does make sense.

However the wording in the article I quoted makes me doubt it. What they said was this (I wish I could link to it):

“Guests entering the park through the it’s main gate will, in the future, navigate new pathways through sweeping greenscapes. The new design pays homage to the park’s original entrance, complete with an iconic fountain that will offer a fresh take on a classic water feature”.

Reading that over, it could mean FoN is the iconic fountain. But equally it could mean that there will be a new fountain is the fresh take on a classic water feature. 🙅‍♀️

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom