News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

RobidaFlats

You're right about it being forward-looking in tech and design - and thats what design was for the 60s, making everything 'Jetson-y'. Thats no longer really what we think the future looks like.

The visions of the future seem to change so fast.

I always thought it would have been really cool if Horizon's had eventually been upgraded to include an 80s section in the "Looking back at tomorrow" portion of the ride. It would be somewhat inherently self-referential, but interesting nonetheless.

lazyboy97o

Some can even argue that Celebration was the 90s interpretation of what Walt dreamed...and what they thought wouldwork.
E.P.C.O.T. was never about looking futuristic, though. It was about a city that was built on new and upcoming technologies. Design choices such as look are something else entirely.
but EPCOT WAS futuristic looking...forward thinking design, forward thinking technology...Forward means, heading into the future...in advance of the current day.....Look at the illustrations and models built...I don't believe you will find one faux spanish colonial or victorian piece of architecture...It was the Community Of Tomorrow...not the community of last week...
EPCOT's urban plan was already over sixty years old when Walt was reading The Heart of Our Cities. New Urbanism clearly follows some of the same ideas espoused by Ebenezer Howard in the late 19th century that were central to EPCOT's organization. New Urbanism is just really bad about truly committing to its ideas and carrying them out

Last edited:

Kman101

I think its one of these situations...

I'm a few pages behind but I think that's the case for a lot of things ... "whoops, forgot to flip that switch ... whoops, forgot to turn that back on ..." LOL

Kman101

Disney's opinions of their guests intelligence seems to get lower every year. The jury is out on whether people actually are dumber today than in the past or if they have been conditioned to be dumber by dumbed-down media, I personally think the latter but given recent developments I am not so sure.

I think the latter too, but ... maybe not LOL

Goofyernmost

Disney's opinions of their guests intelligence seems to get lower every year. The jury is out on whether people actually are dumber today than in the past or if they have been conditioned to be dumber by dumbed-down media, I personally think the latter but given recent developments I am not so sure.
And no one has shown any evidence to contradict that opinion. We are getting dumber by the day. Book learning is only part of being intelligent. Common sense should still be part of overall intelligence, but, it no longer seems to exist.

Bocabear

The visions of the future seem to change so fast.

I always thought it would have been really cool if Horizon's had eventually been upgraded to include an 80s section in the "Looking back at tomorrow" portion of the ride. It would be somewhat inherently self-referential, but interesting nonetheless.
the stylistic visions of the future also cycle around...20 years ago John Hench's Tomorrowland looked pretty dated, now it looks futuristic again... Good design is good design...

merry_nbright

This is the thread of my dreams! I can't wait to go home and go back, reading through everything! I can't wait to see what's next for Epcot! I've asked elsewhere, but do you guys think we'll get some answers to Epcot's refurb at the next D23?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
This is the thread of my dreams! I can't wait to go home and go back, reading through everything! I can't wait to see what's next for Epcot! I've asked elsewhere, but do you guys think we'll get some answers to Epcot's refurb at the next D23?
I'd be surprised if there weren't vague references.

I'd also be surprised if there was much detail revealed.

Kman101

I think people expect a bit too much out of D23. Of course, it does showcase some things (I bet Disneyland gets more focus, but I know nothing and am probably wrong) but it's not where they seem to always want to reveal everything. It'd be nice if it was, it's a great showcase for them with the right audience. They've sort of, last minute, dropped things on us, but if I recall often times things aren't always "ready" for an announcement, even if something has been planned or is in the works. And they could do themselves a favor not always announcing things so far in advance. Like Rat. They COULD announce it this year, but why not wait until 2019 when it's already in the process of being built? Or announce it when they want? Just depends on how they want to market something I guess.

clemmo

Basically it sounds like everything is delayed so Rat is being pushed forward. Energy has gone from closing last year to closing in 2019 or beyond at this point lol. It sounds like the WS stuff seems to be moving ahead but FW is delayed possibly

Monorail_Red_77

Certainly a good chance of that happening, which is likely why they quickly backed away from the idea after Walt's death.

Still, despite moving away from the actual city construction, I do miss the era of WED being around and taking chances on such technology and integrating them into WDW itself (or even being contracted out to build such tech in real world application, such as the PeopleMover in the Houston Int'l Airport). Just one of the big factors that really set Disney apart from everybody else, and made WDW so unique as a resort/property.
I loosely consider the whole WDW complex as a fairly close representation of EPCOT. When you think back to what they had to do in order to bring the complex to reality.

They had to build city infrastructure such as a wastewater treatment plant, a drinking water production plant, power production, telecommunications, garbage collection, natural gas delievery, fire/ems services. Also don't forget the CP living areas near WDW that surround Mickey's Retreat recreation area.

merry_nbright

It would be nice to see Figment get a much needed update with the inclusion of Dreamfinder again. They've been marketing him quite a bit and I haven't mentally decided if I believe it's because they are playing the nostalgia card or if they're actually consider reintroducing him into the pavilion. I know what my heart wants, but I also know that Disney thinks with their pocketbook.

lazyboy97o

I loosely consider the whole WDW complex as a fairly close representation of EPCOT. When you think back to what they had to do in order to bring the complex to reality.

They had to build city infrastructure such as a wastewater treatment plant, a drinking water production plant, power production, telecommunications, garbage collection, natural gas delievery, fire/ems services. Also don't forget the CP living areas near WDW that surround Mickey's Retreat recreation area.
EPCOT wasn't an infrastructure project, it was about urbanism in a specific urban form.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom