News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

HauntedMansionFLA

Any ideas as to when Energy is finally going to close? I feel like back a while ago it was supposed to be closed by now. Obviously its delayed and things change but I wonder when the new target is for beginning of construction.
We rode Energy this past December after not riding it for awhile since the reports were saying it was closing and trying to get that one, last ride in. Yes, the ride needed updating and maintenance done to it. But it wasn't nearly as bad as people were making it out to be. It wouldn't take to much to bring it up to speed. I understand kids now a days don't have the attention span to sit on a ride for 45 minutes - what a shame. Plus, you have the old WOL building next door waiting for some love.

montyz81

MS should be done first. The spine project will currently be finished later.
How much later? It seems like there is a great deal on the table for Epcot as a whole, but nothing at all seems imminent (save for M:S). The clock is ticking and all these changes feel dangerously close to not being done by the 50th.
  1. M:S
  2. Energy
  3. UK
  4. France
  5. Innoventions
Lots of work there it seems.

flyerjab

@marni1971 , one thing that I have been curious about regarding the looming Epcot changes. Comparing to the scenario that played out on the boards some time ago, you put out that great series of short posts about a budget approved for the DHS changes. One was about you picking your jaw up off of the floor. You probably got at least 100 likes for each of those.
For DHS, it seemed like there was that initial knowledge that the allotted budget was several billion.

For this Epcot project, I don't recall anyone ever putting out a proposed overall budget. Is this re-imagining of Epcot happening as one large project with one large budget, or is it setup as multiple smaller projects (i.e., Rat, UK, entry, Innoventions, GofG, etc.) each with their own budget? For me, being a true outsider, this one seems to be playing out on the boards in a different manner as opposed to the DHS one for SWL and TSL.

clemmo

Central Futureworld / spine could end up being phased. The intention is still to be completed before October 2021.
That sounds like a much bigger change than I was expecting. Should we expect structural changes like expansion to innoventions buildings? I'm still a bit confused about what exactly this project could entail.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
@marni1971 , one thing that I have been curious about regarding the looming Epcot changes. Comparing to the scenario that played out on the boards some time ago, you put out that great series of short posts about a budget approved for the DHS changes. One was about you picking your jaw up off of the floor. You probably got at least 100 likes for each of those.
For DHS, it seemed like there was that initial knowledge that the allotted budget was several billion.

For this Epcot project, I don't recall anyone ever putting out a proposed overall budget. Is this re-imagining of Epcot happening as one large project with one large budget, or is it setup as multiple smaller projects (i.e., Rat, UK, entry, Innoventions, GofG, etc.) each with their own budget? For me, being a true outsider, this one seems to be playing out on the boards in a different manner as opposed to the DHS one for SWL and TSL.
Pretty sure I gave some ballpark figures if (a very very big if) everything under serious proposal happened.

For Epcot there's currently a figure more than half as much again as the original park cost of proposals between now and the middle of the next decade. Plus a few more projects that are nowhere near being developed to a formal proposal. It's mostly based on individual projects like Rat or MS. A few areas (spine / entrance / plaza / Communicore) have some overlap.

Studios currently has around 2/3 of the Epcot figure worth of firm proposals including what's currently being built.

Remember though this isn't all just for shiny new rides the public will see. And excuse me for being a little vague.

jt04

Pretty sure I gave some ballpark figures if (a very very big if) everything under serious proposal happened.

For Epcot there's currently a figure more than half as much again as the original park cost of proposals between now and the middle of the next decade. Plus a few more projects that are nowhere near being developed to a formal proposal. It's mostly based on individual projects like Rat or MS. A few areas (spine / entrance / plaza / Communicore) have some overlap.

Studios currently has around 2/3 of the Epcot figure worth of firm proposals including what's currently being built.

Remember though this isn't all just for shiny new rides the public will see. And excuse me for being a little vague.

I noticed in the aerials of Pandora how much more consideration they are giving to support facilities. They look so much more permanent and planned out. Very impressive. This is as opposed to the way Epcot backstage areas have evolved. Properly planned something like WS could have even more expansion room. So seeing that management is making this a priority it really makes me even more optimistic.
The amount of positive logistical change Iger et al have brought to WDW is mind boggling.

clemmo

How much later? It seems like there is a great deal on the table for Epcot as a whole, but nothing at all seems imminent (save for M:S). The clock is ticking and all these changes feel dangerously close to not being done by the 50th.
  1. M:S
  2. Energy
  3. UK
  4. France
  5. Innoventions
Lots of work there it seems.
I agree that's why I feel like construction needs to start on a lot of these projects by next year or early 2019. Also add to the list coco overlay of Mexico and potential new country pavilion (Brazil). I know I've said this before but it seems like a lot of money is being pumped into WS and not FW. Maybe that's because there's a lot we don't know yet that will happen in FW or it's all more or less cosmetic stuff/upgrades

clemmo

So assuming GOTG does get built (somehow that project being delayed makes me feel it's less likely) MS gets it's updates and test track isn't really an issue at the moment that leaves us with WOL. Hopefully they don't just let it sit or demo it and do nothing with the space

montyz81

So assuming GOTG does get built (somehow that project being delayed makes me feel it's less likely) MS gets it's updates and test track isn't really an issue at the moment that leaves us with WOL. Hopefully they don't just let it sit or demo it and do nothing with the space
You left out Journey.

clemmo

You left out Journey.
My bad I should've specified I was talking about FW east. FW west journey and magic eye theater need attention. Land updates seem comfirmed. The seas im not really sure what to do with. I'm not a big fan of nemo in this location but I don't see them replacing it

TiggerDad

Wikipedia (I know, not a perfect source) gives a range of $800M-$1.4B for original cost of EPCOT. Assuming you're not adjusting for inflation and that your number is in that range, that would mean possible Epcot spend of $1.2B-$2.1B, with DHS at $800M-$1.4B.

jt04

That's not all that's mind boggling.

:hilarious:

Something has changed. Just one example is that they don't wait until the paint is peeling or trim falling off before doing refurbs in the MK.

Some sort of quality management system has been implemented in the last decade.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
If Inside Out should invade the park, that is where I'd put it. I'd like to think it could stay away from Figment/the dark ride part of the building.
Me too, but I kind of fear they've already thought about replacing Figment with Inside Out. I'd love Inside Out represented in Epcot, but not at the expense of Figment, which is why I think it could be a good thing they aren't touching the ride yet.
They could mix them together and call it "Figment Turns Your Imagination Inside Out"...

MCast

I feel like Epcot has the potential to be the Tokyo Disneysea of WDW - not in actuality, but in terms of the richness of the park, the attractions and the overall guest experience.

I really hope that whatever the plans are for Epcot that they are executed appropriately. I'm not necessarily distraught over the inclusion of IPs, considering Tokyo Disneysea has its fair share as well, but it's about striking a balance that still connects back to the park's purpose.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom