News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

Haymarket2008

At this point, after hearing about Future World's new direction, all I can hope for is for them to leave Spaceship Earth & Living with the Land alone and to bring back Dreamfinder & Figment. Everything else is, unfortunately, in major need of reevaluation. Knowing Epcot Center isn't coming back, I can only be optimistic things will be cohesive once all is said and done.

montyz81

Was just reading about the passing of Gene Wilder (God rest his sole). What a great man. I can't help but think of Dreamfinder everytime I see that guy. His version, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory would have been a great Imagination 3.0. Using the original ride track, the table and some of the show elements could have easily been transformed into the chocolate factory and elements of the story. It likely wouldn't have been a huge cost to acquire the IP from Paramount or even just to rent it. Would be great to be able to go there now and see an AA of Gene as Willy Wonka. A true comedic genius will be missed!

Maybe as part of the FW redo, they could consider this!

mimitchi33

Was just reading about the passing of Gene Wilder (God rest his sole). What a great man. I can't help but think of Dreamfinder everytime I see that guy. His version, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory would have been a great Imagination 3.0. Using the original ride track, the table and some of the show elements could have easily been transformed into the chocolate factory and elements of the story. It likely wouldn't have been a huge cost to acquire the IP from Paramount or even just to rent it. Would be great to be able to go there now and see an AA of Gene as Willy Wonka. A true comedic genius will be missed!

Willy Wonka is owned by Warner Brothers, Disney's biggest rival. This would be a cute ride for another park, though!

Ralphlaw

I like your idea, but getting the rights to Willy Wonka may be problematic. The family of Raold Dahl might not want to give that up.

Some of the lessons one can glean from Gene Wilder's life:
1. Even a kid from Milwaukee can make it in Hollywood.
2. Stay within your character.
3. Make the most of your lucky breaks. (He was in a play with Anne Bancroft--Mel Brooks' wife--and the rest is history)
4. Don't be a diva.
5. Work with people unlike yourself. (Richard Pryor, Zero Mostel, Mel Brooks, Marty Feldman)
6. Show up prepared and on time. Nobody wants to work with a tardy excuse-maker.
7. Don't ignore your secondary skills. They say Marty was the best Hollywood fencer (sword fighter) since Errol Flynn. This opened many doors for him.

A good and gentle man they say. Frisco Kid is a hidden gem, with Harrison Ford. There's also an audio book version of his book, Kiss Me Like a Stranger, with him narrating. Not bad stuff.

Last edited:

seabreezept813

Off topic..but I know someone who lived down the street from Gene Wilder. He used to dress up on Halloween and give out Wonka bars to the trick-or-treaters. Priceless..RIP

clemmo

This is only slightly off topic, but still relatively fits in with what we are talking about: any insiders able to elaborate on the plans for World Showcase? i.e. Should we expect a Mulan attraction in China?
This is one of the parts of the renovation I'm most excited for. The WS besides Frozen rarely ever gets much love (though I guess its the same for a lot of Epcot). I'd love to see some of the old plans resurrected like the gondola boat ride in Italy and the Rhine river cruise, though i'm sure they'll go the ip route.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom