News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

RSoxNo1

My solution for Epcot:
  • Neil Degrasse Tyson takes over Energy pavilion / Wonders area. Haven't thought much about it, but I'd be on board with something related to the Cosmos, or just something otherwise science based.
  • Expand Innoventions West into a full on character area. Unfortunately it's needed.
  • Re-do Imagination as an LPS attraction featuring Dreamfinder and the non-cracked out version of Figment
After the more logical things, that's when I get into the really wishful thinking categories:
  • it's a small world to Showcase Plaza (I've said this time and time again)
  • Evict Nemo, but I have no idea what to do with that pavilion. I also think Turtle Talk needs to somehow be retained (perhaps in DHS)
  • Update or replace Mission: SPACE. Fanboi dream would be Horizons Century 3, but I'd also appreciate some sort of variability in Mission: SPACE or an entirely new space based concept.
  • Evict Anna and Elsa, build a new, higher capacity Frozen ride in Fantasyland in the area opened up by moving it's a small world. That area could also include Tangled, Peter Pan, or other relevant properties.

lazyboy97o

Neil Degrasse Tyson takes over Energy pavilion / Wonders area. Haven't thought much about it, but I'd be on board with something related to the Cosmos, or just something otherwise science based.
The success of Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey, and even just Tyson's celebrity, disproves the notion that Future World is no longer relevant, useful or of any semblance of interest to the "general public." That show right there is pretty much an entire blueprint for a compelling Future World that lives up to its name, history and legacy.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
The success of Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey, and even just Tyson's celebrity, disproves the notion that Future World is no longer relevant, useful or of any semblance of interest to the "general public." That show right there is pretty much an entire blueprint for a compelling Future World that lives up to its name, history and legacy.

Yes, I'd argue that Cosmos, Mythbusters and Battlebots being science/tech related things that have a huge audience and is a good thing.

Sure, Mythbusters (which while cancelled is coming back in another form apparently) and Battlebots may be on the explosion/flames side of things, still promotes science and technology. Battlebots has a former NASA astronaut, M.I.T. graduates, etc. on the show.

Speaking of MIT, why not work with universities like that one to showcase what they're working on?

lazyboy97o

Yes, I'd argue that Cosmos, Mythbusters and Battlebots being science/tech related things that have a huge audience and is a good thing.

Sure, Mythbusters (which while cancelled is coming back in another form apparently) and Battlebots may be on the explosion/flames side of things, still promotes science and technology. Battlebots has a former NASA astronaut, M.I.T. graduates, etc. on the show.

Speaking of MIT, why not work with universities like that one to showcase what they're working on?
Disney doesn't even need new connections with universities. Disney Research repeatedly garners the attention of technology-related media.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Disney doesn't even need new connections with universities. Disney Research repeatedly garners the attention of technology-related media.

That's true and yet Epcot is barren of anything related to that. It seems they haven't had a cohesive thought about what belongs in Future World since the early 90's...no one knows anything about the topic in Disney management.

lazyboy97o

Yes, but that's the problem. Disney needs to start reaching out to others instead of expecting everyone to crawl to them begging to open attractions/exhibits
I think he is referring to the universities themselves. University X may be working some cool new thing, but if it is being funded by Company Y then it is owned by Company Y who gets to determine when it is shared by the public.

Donaldfan1934

My solution for Epcot:
  • Neil Degrasse Tyson takes over Energy pavilion / Wonders area. Haven't thought much about it, but I'd be on board with something related to the Cosmos, or just something otherwise science based.
  • Expand Innoventions West into a full on character area. Unfortunately it's needed.
  • Re-do Imagination as an LPS attraction featuring Dreamfinder and the non-cracked out version of Figment
After the more logical things, that's when I get into the really wishful thinking categories:
  • it's a small world to Showcase Plaza (I've said this time and time again)
  • Evict Nemo, but I have no idea what to do with that pavilion. I also think Turtle Talk needs to somehow be retained (perhaps in DHS)
  • Update or replace Mission: SPACE. Fanboi dream would be Horizons Century 3, but I'd also appreciate some sort of variability in Mission: SPACE or an entirely new space based concept.
  • Evict Anna and Elsa, build a new, higher capacity Frozen ride in Fantasyland in the area opened up by moving it's a small world. That area could also include Tangled, Peter Pan, or other relevant properties.
Personally, I wouldn't evict Nemo, but I'm absolutely in LOVE with with all of the rest of your ideas. I'm especially fond of the IASW idea since I always felt that way myself. It would finally cure the Magic Kingdom of one of its few major original sins as well as bring the ride full circle by putting it in the "permanent world's fair". I'm also a big fan of the Imagination LPS, but that's almost not worth mentioning since just about anyone on a forum like this would be. Only if someone like you was green lighting ideas for Epcot, then it'd be in much better shape than it is now.

P_Radden

I know no attractions are switching parks, but if we're gonna be wishful here, I'd like to see Carousal of Progress relocated to where Odyssey currently sits. Then update it with a proper ending and build it into a pavilion so there is some sort of before and after show area.

Use the opened up space in TL for a new E-Ticket.

WeLComeHomE OKW

I'm sorry, but if you've got "DGA Director, President, Walt Disney Imagineering" listed under your name, then most of your followers are going to follow you for your contributions to the entertainment industry. He obviously wants somebody to hear his views.
No, life doesn't work that way. People can list their bios without aiming to convince someone of something.

VIPguide_2030

I won't believe me too until then.

I can't reiterate enough. I post what I can, when I can. Whats proposed. What's planned. What's green lit. I'm just the messenger.

Let's not forget Equitorial Africa was green lit.
I am happy to hear that there is at least some progress and hopefully this is just the tip of the iceberg. Any truth that me bumping this thread on 4/2 forced Disneys hand? ;)

I'm not a fan of GotG but that doesn't mean if done right this won't be amazing. At this point Epcot needs to turn in a new direction for FW, the small % of fans that care about the original vision or "my old Epcot" are the minority at this point. I am one of those but I am a realist as well, just give me some cool futuristic attractions that can stay relavent for a long time and throw in a dash of edutainment and I will be thrilled. I also want Ratatouille in France and Pinocchio in Italy, I'm over the no characters in WS...if done right it will not affect the pavilion.

Mike S

I know no attractions are switching parks, but if we're gonna be wishful here, I'd like to see Carousal of Progress relocated to where Odyssey currently sits. Then update it with a proper ending and build it into a pavilion so there is some sort of before and after show area.

Use the opened up space in TL for a new E-Ticket.
If we're wishful thinking I would say destroy WoL and make a new pavilion featuring both CoP and New Horizons.

Boom.

P_Radden

If we're wishful thinking I would say destroy WoL and make a new pavilion featuring both CoP and New Horizons.

Boom.
ohhh snap.jpg

Damn Mike! That would be awesome!!

Edit: Just as long as New Horizons has no stupid Disney IP tie-in :mad:

Don't anybody even think about Guardians of the Horizon!!!!! :facepalm:

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom