News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

Mike S

No. He said creative. Cupcake parties on the roof with a view of the Star Wars fireworks two miles away.

At least we are getting a new ride. And honestly, 40 minutes was a bit long for 2016. And this project is more ambitious than any GotG band aid at DHS would've been. Dare I say it, it will be fun. If misplaced. Like FEA but with appropriate capacity.

Maybe they can move the dinos (but not Ellen) to the dead space on Dinosaur.
That's actually not a bad idea and would sure make me happy :D

Dinosaur takes place in the Late Cretaceous period though. How many of UoE's Dinos are from that era? Before anyone says T-Rex it's not a T-Rex fighting the Stegosaurus. It's Allosaurus. The only ones that would fit are the Ornithomimus, Pteranodons, and the Elasmosaurus wherever it is.

Yes I'm a Dinosaur nut and this would be something that bothers me :p

I guess it's time to face the hard truth and accept what's coming to Ipcot *sigh* :grumpy:

Dr.GrantSeeker

Wow. :( Let me go straight for the arteries on this one and ask... is the notion of FW themed pavilions on its way out, too? Is Energy going to have anything to do with energy anymore, or could we hope for a new life/health something in WoL?

GotG sounds like a huge misstep that's going to cost a mint for something that'll get dated in not too many years. It's not an advance at all. :(

I was wondering the exact same thing. Will this remain somewhat to the original vision of FW or is this just going to be an arbitrary GoTG themed ride?

gmajew

Premium Member
@marni1971 did you not say you were excited about these plans? So even with this the overall Epcot plans still excite you? Or has that changed in the past two weeks? Or is this all part of the new Epcot you were talking about?

IWant2GoNow

@marni1971, in your opinion will this new direction it seems they are taking kill all of the educational aspects of these rides? Is this the death of "edutainment"? And please at least tell me that SSE is safe. If they ever change that ride to something else I'll be devastated.

Bocabear

@marni1971, in your opinion will this new direction it seems they are taking kill all of the educational aspects of these rides? Is this the death of "edutainment"? And please at least tell me that SSE is safe. If they ever change that ride to something else I'll be devastated.
I think if they are willing to put GOTG in the Energy and Wonders Of Life Pavilions, that nothing is safe...It paves the way for a whole different interpretation of what the park is, and as the pavilions change, the overall focus and meaning of EPCOT will as well

Phicinfan

Now it's out I can speak a bit more freely about it.

Say your goodbyes to Ellen. And the travelling theatre I'm afraid.

IF phase two is approved the whole corner will become a GotG based area.
Wow, okay now what will Epcot be? How in the world does GotG fit in Epcot? So will WS eventually get more IP rides win "specific" worlds?

rioriz

Wow, okay now what will Epcot be? How in the world does GotG fit in Epcot? So will WS eventually get more IP rides win "specific" worlds?
With the futuristic Mission Space and Test Track I'd say that side is ripe for a more Discoveryland Feel while the other side takes on a more Realistic/Natural Setting feel with the Land, Seas, and whatever they do with the Imagination

IWant2GoNow

I think if they are willing to put GOTG in the Energy and Wonders Of Life Pavilions, that nothing is safe...It paves the way for a whole different interpretation of what the park is, and as the pavilions change, the overall focus and meaning of EPCOT will as well
I sadly agree. I wasn't able to go to WDW that often as a child but I remember my first trip to EPCOT Center because I remember thinking if school taught us like this it would be WAY more enjoyable. I know we're in a different age, technologically speaking, but my hope was that other kids would grab onto this fascination of educational fun the way I did. Oh well... times change and I'll try to brace for whatever they thrust into this park now.

Phicinfan

With the futuristic Mission Space and Test Track I'd say that side is ripe for a more Discoveryland Feel while the other side takes on a more Realistic/Natural Setting feel with the Land, Seas, and whatever they do with the Imagination
okay, since we have not heard from Martin, lets expound on this :)

First I agree with most, this looks like the end of what Epcot was meant to be, and that is really sad.

But you raise an interesting point.....take the one side and make it more futuristic - GotG, updated Mission Space(heck with GotG add in?) and then another Test track update?

Then leave the other side for Current state...or world view - Land, Seas - and them some eventual update to Imagination...which looking at it really, really doesn't fit now.

I still wonder now, if this means eventually the WS will be more IP based as well, either with M&Gs or rides or such. While I doubt we will get large rides in, I would expect more IP based input into specific worlds.....sadly.

Bocabear

Which also begs the question of the identity of WDW resort as a whole.. WDW Resort offers 4 Parks , all with very different genres...Seems like as these plans move forward, 3 of the 4 parks will all offer basicallt the same mishmash of thematics with no real identity, and then the Zoo park....which I think on the whole weakens the entire resort experience.

ABQ

Now it's out I can speak a bit more freely about it.

Say your goodbyes to Ellen. And the travelling theatre I'm afraid.

IF phase two is approved the whole corner will become a GotG based area.
When you say "whole corner" would that encompass the WoL pavilion as well?

Bocabear

okay, since we have not heard from Martin, lets expound on this :)

First I agree with most, this looks like the end of what Epcot was meant to be, and that is really sad.

But you raise an interesting point.....take the one side and make it more futuristic - GotG, updated Mission Space(heck with GotG add in?) and then another Test track update?

Then leave the other side for Current state...or world view - Land, Seas - and them some eventual update to Imagination...which looking at it really, really doesn't fit now.

I still wonder now, if this means eventually the WS will be more IP based as well, either with M&Gs or rides or such. While I doubt we will get large rides in, I would expect more IP based input into specific worlds.....sadly.
I would expect World Showcase to then get the same ip treatments, and soon they will wonder why there are even "Countries" in that part of the park....then that theme will also break down and it will eventually just be Magic Kingdom Part Deux... The only thing really in our (EPCOT Center Lovers) favor is the glacial pace at which Disney moves... By the time they get around to any meaningful changes it would be 15 to 20+ years... 2031-2036

Bocabear

When you say "whole corner" would that encompass the WoL pavilion as well?
I am taking that to mean the whole corner, but who knows... It is a typical Disney move...shutter several attractions and replace them with one and a new shop and restaurant....the real shame is, they have the room to add everything they could want without having to close anything...no net loss for something new. GOTG would be a better fit for Tomorrowland... Move the Speedway to Test Track area...use that land there instead...Then at least the intent of EPCOT remains and you are not homogenizing all of the parks into the same thing in a different place...

rioriz

I am taking that to mean the whole corner, but who knows... It is a typical Disney move...shutter several attractions and replace them with one and a new shop and restaurant....the real shame is, they have the room to add everything they could want without having to close anything...no net loss for something new. GOTG would be a better fit for Tomorrowland... Move the Speedway to Test Track area...use that land there instead...Then at least the intent of EPCOT remains and you are not homogenizing all of the parks into the same thing in a different place...

I'm not hearing that from what was said...Phase 2 means an additional attraction...I'm guessing it is looked at to be more of a SWL "lite"

ToTBellHop

I'm not hearing that from what was said...Phase 2 means an additional attraction...I'm guessing it is looked at to be more of a SWL "lite"
I imagine them saying, "we are going to get a Marvel Land in WDW one way or another, dammit!

Yes, it would be two pavilions. We are certainly getting one. Although it'll be a more traditional pavilion which is a bit of nice news.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom