News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

doctornick

There is plenty of other empty abandoned spaces in Epcot, no?

The Odyssey building is an obvious choice, though I would guess it is smaller in size than WoL. It does have kitchen facilities though and the location is nice and central.

There's also the World Showplace building, which is pretty sizeable, though I think it gets used for some F&W stuff already.

jensenrick

The Odyssey building is an obvious choice, though I would guess it is smaller in size than WoL. It does have kitchen facilities though and the location is nice and central.

There's also the World Showplace building, which is pretty sizeable, though I think it gets used for some F&W stuff already.

All doable, plus the old Communicore building is empty too, except for a Starbucks and a M&G. Yes, I know they'll never get rid of the M&G, but the point is, there is PLENTY of empty space there.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

Both Odyssey and the World Showplace are used for Food and Wine, along with Wonders of Life.

jensenrick

Well, it certainly has the biggest budget of what is planned :) That said, I would hesitate to call it a FW/WS revamp, as the only substantial green-lit plans currently are for FW.

Well, World Showcase doesn't really need a revamp though. It's "Future" World that is a wasteland of the anemic, pathetic and/or forgotten.

clemmo

Well, it certainly has the biggest budget of what is planned :) That said, I would hesitate to call it a FW/WS revamp, as the only substantial green-lit plans currently are for FW.
Well hopefully the other substantial green lit plans in FW belong there (meaning non ip). While I'm not a fan of GOTG going into Epcot, at least it'll use dead space (ellen's). The still should address inoventions and imagination though at a minimum. For some of the insiders to be surprised at the scope of the project i'd have a hard time believing we only get one new attraction

Last edited:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

Odyssey is also on stilts so won't change radically. They could always use it to serve food to guests.

Expect big changes to the Communicore buildings too. They know it's a ghetto.

V_L_Raptor

And yet Future World is symbolized by a ride going through the history of communication starting with cavemen. Not to mention the ride about Energy that goes back to the Big Bang and dinosaurs, and the long gone Epcot dark rides about the history of transportation and futurism.

To create the future, you need to learn from the past and build upon it.

This. So much this. This is what's missing from TT and M:S. Even Living Seas had an element of this. It's a big part of why those pavilions weren't simply flat-out commercials for their sponsors.

V_L_Raptor

The term museum should never have been used to indicate old, stale knowledge. That was a mistake made eons ago by our ancestors. We have much to learn even from the old paintings, architecture and inventions - there is always something to learn and apply to the future.

However, since we can't go back and change the term Museum away from its current meaning to most of the modern population, how about we call it a Science Fair?

...or not? The science-focused material (witness the scientist names in a piece of artwork mounted in the cement in front of M:S, or the old "let's make recycled paper" station in Innoventions, among other things) came after FW proper had been running for a while. I'm not saying there wasn't science-focused content around, especially in Living Seas, WoL, and Land, but I am saying that for a very long time, the FW section of the park was not really focused on it. Horizons wasn't a science show, and really, neither were WoM, SSE, or JII. You can't necessarily say they were engineering shows, either. Portions were, to be sure, but the whole was more than the sum of its parts. It wasn't until the 90's changes were underway that FW tried to be a massive, open-air science center. (Best of luck with that.)

V_L_Raptor

Now it's out I can speak a bit more freely about it.

Say your goodbyes to Ellen. And the travelling theatre I'm afraid.

IF phase two is approved the whole corner will become a GotG based area.

Wow. :( Let me go straight for the arteries on this one and ask... is the notion of FW themed pavilions on its way out, too? Is Energy going to have anything to do with energy anymore, or could we hope for a new life/health something in WoL?

GotG sounds like a huge misstep that's going to cost a mint for something that'll get dated in not too many years. It's not an advance at all. :(

cjkeating

Does this make more sense than it sounds with the info you have?

To me it seems they met backlash at overlaying ToT with GotG so now they are just going to place it in an inappropriate area/pavillion/land but removing an unpopular attraction instead?

ChrisFL

Premium Member

Any idea what kind of ride system we'll get? rollercoaster or something else?

Mike S

I shouldn't comment more at the moment. But part of it will be a physical ride.
My Dinosaurs... and they're not even using the whole building as a ride by the sound of that last one.

Why is everything I loved about Epcot leaving? Next it's going to be SSE. Then Epcot will be officially dead to me with Ipcot rising from the ashes... :cry:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom