News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

Epcot82Guy

I'll take a stab at a new theme.

Celebrating the World. The people, the cultures, the land, the water, the future, the universe and all that was and all that can be.

EPCOT - Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow

While I appreciate the attempt, that turns it into literally EVERYTHING. There is nothing that wouldn't fit into one of those categories.

The best they could do is make World Showcase a showcase of countries that inspired favorite Disney characters, and put an attraction in each. And, since GotG can't really be saved, convert World Discovery into a showcase of how technology helps us explore new worlds - real and imagined. (Which is still a big stretch).

This blur of fantasy and reality in the way they are doing it simply doesn't work because it blends multiple stories and focuses on different things. It's the same fate as TL, Stuidos, etc. So, it ends up requiring HUGE amounts of shoehorning. Made even worse - since Epcot had arguably the most cohesive theme of all the Parks (other than maybe DAK and original DHS).

kalel8145

While I appreciate the attempt, that turns it into literally EVERYTHING. There is nothing that wouldn't fit into one of those categories.

The best they could do is make World Showcase a showcase of countries that inspired favorite Disney characters, and put an attraction in each. And, since GotG can't really be saved, convert World Discovery into a showcase of how technology helps us explore new worlds - real and imagined. (Which is still a big stretch).

This blur of fantasy and reality in the way they are doing it simply doesn't work because it blends multiple stories and focuses on different things. It's the same fate as TL, Stuidos, etc. So, it ends up requiring HUGE amounts of shoehorning. Made even worse - since Epcot had arguably the most cohesive theme of all the Parks (other than maybe DAK and original DHS).
Yes

Epcot82Guy

Current "Disney", at best. Which, if that's all you're going for, then fine. But, that's not what drew many, many people to the Disney parks. And, that is arguably a FAR LAZIER approach. In fact, appropriate placement and theming in context - not Disney characters - was a long-standing hallmark of the Disney brand for a significant period of the past 70 years.

UNCgolf

The precedent of a Xandarian pavilion in World Discovery further fuels the potential placement of a Wakanda pavilion next door.

Maybe if they backed off the Play! Pavilion entirely, but it seems like they're still planning to open that as originally announced. I can't imagine they're going to spend money on it and then turn around and spend money to turn it into something else in a few years.

I'm guessing they won't be making that kind of capital investment into EPCOT again for at least a decade -- maybe if the whole management team changes?

kalel8145

Current "Disney", at best. Which, if that's all you're going for, then fine. But, that's not what drew many, many people to the Disney parks. And, that is arguably a FAR LAZIER approach. In fact, appropriate placement and theming in context - not Disney characters - was a long-standing hallmark of the Disney brand for a significant period of the past 70 years.
the-past-is-in-the-past.jpg

Epcot82Guy

DISNEY. See, we are getting to know each other.

And I should say - it's sad they are causing the rift like this. There are so many ways they could be using the characters appropriately that could be advancing both the brand you mention and the theme I am. That's the worst part to me. A company that prides itself on storytelling is throwing out the need for good storytelling.

It feels a bit like Disney animation after the Renaissance - which is exactly where Pixar came from. "Disney" forgetting its own strengths opened the door for a studio to arguably be more Disney than Disney was at the time.

kalel8145

And I should say - it's sad they are causing the rift like this. There are so many ways they could be using the characters appropriately that could be advancing both the brand you mention and the theme I am. That's the worst part to me. A company that prides itself on storytelling is throwing out the need for good storytelling.

It feels a bit like Disney animation after the Renaissance - which is exactly where Pixar came from. "Disney" forgetting its own strengths opened the door for a studio to arguably be more Disney than Disney was at the time.
I hope this doesn't ruin our budding friendship. I really am a nice guy. šŸ˜

Epcot82Guy

I hope this doesn't ruin our budding friendship. I really am a nice guy. šŸ˜

No - I appreciate your comments in other threads. I know you share the frustrations too. You're still enjoying it, and I respect that totally. The worst part is those of us who are frustrated know money is the only thing that talks, so we wish others would join us in not going. But it's never fair to go after someone personally.

My real issue is with Disney and its view of much of it's fan base - now customer base.

SplashJacket

The Magic Kingdom theme can fit literally any piece of fiction under its umbrella.

But then It also has a historical attraction called the Hall of Presidents. Perhaps the magic is in the resurrections of the old bosses?

I donā€™t think a broad theme is bad. A broad theme can direct application that allows for meshing better than a true free for all.

Hollywood Studios is a prime example where an excessively narrow theme inhibits the park.

The original ā€œlook at the motion picture production processā€ theme was an experience, not a whole park. They expanded it from just behind the scenes to a romanticized Hollywood, but even then, it needed more, so they basically shoehorned movies brought to life. Ultimately, I believe the behind the scenes aspect has a place in the park, as a component, even if imagineering would seem to disagree. Currently, Hollywood Studios has a theme that could apply to anything, but I donā€™t believe thatā€™s where itā€™s issues lie.

jmuboy

I really like the concept art. Would I love a fountain? Absolutely.. would I love to see them just rebuild west entirely? You bet. But Iā€™m much happier that this is the route theyā€™re taking than what was announced in 2019.

Itā€™s better than what I thought they would do honestly.
Itā€™s so sad Disney has lowered their standards to the point this new design makes me happy. This is an improvement but INNOVENTIONS West should have just been repurposed

I am happy we have this 2.0 design. Happy to see the central garden and semetry preserved somewhat. If this garden area looks just as good as the refreshed front gate area (and the night experience is just as good ) I will be try and be pleased with the final product.

Maybe - in some half baked way they heard us favs and responded with this alternative central spine design. MAYBE we could finally have Disney listen and update FIGMENT ( maybe - if they just had one little spark of inspiration )

jmuboy

The styling of the Moana section compared to everything else really shows how much it is from a different plan compared to what weā€™re getting. That said, Iā€™m also pleasantly surprised with howā€¦ sealed off it appears to be from the hub of the park.
They even added - what looks like - a bypass path to living seas from SSE exit area that skips Moana all together

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom