News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

trainplane3

Am I the only one who doesn't care about Festivals? This design is very nice, but couldn't these events just be held at Disney Springs? EPCOT needs more rides/pavilions.
Same. We made July trip plans. Parents were happy about no festivals till I told them F&W started a few days before we get down there. Much groaning ensued.

When you aren't adding attractions, booze and food is a very easy way to make $$$. Why spend $$$$$$$$ on a ride when you can spend $ and make $$$$ from some crappy booths chunked in the walkways.

rreading

That's a good point...

It's possible that transporting the barges and stargate was also an original possibility.

The daytime fountains might have been what they needed to justify it's permanent mounting, but that didn't work out as planned either.

Maybe @marni1971 could shed some light...
That’s honestly what I suspect happened:

“We’ll move them out there each day”

Millions of $$ later: “Oops…that won’t work”

“You don’t really see the concrete that supports a fountain. We’ll make them fountains!”

Once all the $$ is spent and there’s no going back: “Oh. I guess that didn’t work either“

“Bob? What do we do now?”

Haymarket2008

I am confused...So is Dreamers Point now the entire centyral plaza? Or what looks to be elevated beds at the back of the plaza? And the Walt statue will be back there? Because someone else was saying it would be near the central (not a fountain) planter and display area... This just seems like an underwhelming mess.

Dreamer's Point is at the top of that series of flower beds. It will be elevated. Basically the back of Earth Station to where the old pin cart used to be. Just....elevated.

kevlightyear

Am I the only one who doesn't care about Festivals? This design is very nice, but couldn't these events just be held at Disney Springs? EPCOT needs more rides/pavilions.

Unfortunately, according to the first sentence of the parks blog post, the festivals are now integral to Epcot.

As international festivals continue to become more of an integral part of the EPCOT experience, Disney Imagineers are creating new spaces that will bring these events into the heart of the park in the new World Celebration neighborhood.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I am confused...So is Dreamers Point now the entire centyral plaza? Or what looks to be elevated beds at the back of the plaza? And the Walt statue will be back there? Because someone else was saying it would be near the central (not a fountain) planter and display area... This just seems like an underwhelming mess.
Yes its in those elevated areas.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Unfortunately, according to the first sentence of the parks blog post, the festivals are now integral to Epcot.

:banghead: I give up.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
:banghead: I give up.
Considering 3 of the 4 festivals have been around since the 90's, I'm not sure what you are upset about. It isn't like they just started them a few years ago.

The Epcot International Flower and Garden Festival

Debut: 1994 (April 29 - June 5, 1994)

Epcot International Food & Wine Festival

Debut: 1996 at Epcot (September 28 - October 27, 1996)

The Epcot International Festival of the Holidays (Holidays Around the World)

Debut: 1996 (Premiered November 29, 1996)

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Considering 3 of the 4 festivals have been around since the 90's, I'm not sure what you are upset about. It isn't like they just started them a few years ago.

The Epcot International Flower and Garden Festival

Debut: 1994 (April 29 - June 5, 1994)

Epcot International Food & Wine Festival

Debut: 1996 at Epcot (September 28 - October 27, 1996)

The Epcot International Festival of the Holidays (Holidays Around the World)

Debut: 1996 (Premiered November 29, 1996)
How long did those three things events last when originally introduced? 3 months, give or take a week. Not a terrible amount of time to focus on those events. Now they basically encompass 9-10 months of the year, when you add in the Arts thing. They have shown zero desire to move away from them, and this cements them into the park. Which is a damn shame.

Last edited:

Epcot82Guy

How long did those three things events last when originally introduced? 3 months, give or take a week. Not a terrible amount of time to focus on those events. Now they basically encompass 9-10 months of the year, when you add in the Arts thing. They have shown zero desire to move away from them, and this cements them into the park. Which is a damn shame.
They also arguably enhanced the areas when they happened vs. creating the issues the expanded festivals + neglected park has caused.

And the additions don't seem to really be adding much if anything to the park (capacity-wise). So, if they spark attendance growth, it may actually make things worse.

No Name

One lesson this continues to reinforce is that Disney’s announcements should be taken with a few grains of salt. There have been parts of every attraction announced since 2015 (even Tron and Cosmic Rewind) that have been changed or downgraded or abandoned.

Really gets me excited for D23, where they’ll maybe share some new ideas that might possibly happen.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Except that a lot of us really like the festivals. That gives us more flexibility when determining when to visit.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
In 2018, there were 243 festival days. Percentage of the year with no festival days: 33% [One third of the year!]

In 2019, there were 247 festival days. Percentage of the year with no festival days: 32%

In 2020, there were 291 festival days. Percentage of the year with no festival days: 20% [Thanks to "A Touch of F&W starting mid-July]

In 2021, there were 331 festival days. Percentage of the year with no festival days: 9% [Garden went longer, Arts started earlier]

In 2022, there will be 326 festival days. Percentage of the year with no festival days: 11% [Basically one to two weeks of no festival days when one ends and the next begins]

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom