News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

castlecake2.0

My understanding is the Peppers Ghost scenes are still back there. However the futuristic cityscape and everything after it is gone.
I believe that is correct, though after the city there wasn’t much else except wires/fibre optics on the walls. I wonder how easy it would be to renting those scenes back to life, they still seem pretty relevant.

castlecake2.0

I know this will be an unpopular opinion but I really don't like the Walt statue concept. I feel that the park should be a celebration of all of humanity's achievements, Not just one man. On an un-related note I have updated my article on the decline of EPCOT bringing it up to date and fixing some oversights I made (The existence of the Wonders Of Life pavilion) besides unglamorous things like grammar fixes etc.
Im scared with how accessible he looks. People are going to do all sorts of stupid things for tiktok with that.

castlecake2.0

Except… they really don’t. At least I was easily able to see the big blue box from multiple spots around the park this week, and I didn’t even need to try to look for it. Could they hide it from within 150 feet of the entrance? Sure, that’s possible. But it’s not possible to hide that thing from everywhere in the park.
Unfortunately the Swan and Dolphin seemed to have started a precedent in this park of allowing visual intrusions such as this. I have to say though if you don’t look for it, the blue they picked really does blend into the sky well.

Vegas Disney Fan

Except… they really don’t. At least I was easily able to see the big blue box from multiple spots around the park this week, and I didn’t even need to try to look for it. Could they hide it from within 150 feet of the entrance? Sure, that’s possible. But it’s not possible to hide that thing from everywhere in the park.
We didn’t find it any more noticeable than the soarin building that’s been hiding in plain sight for 20 years and visible from most of world showcase.

It’s definitely noticeable, but no more so than Soarin, Swan, Dolphin, etc. I’ve always thought the Test Track building is the worst view from world showcase, I know it’s technically “themed” but to me it’s just a very noticeable huge building in the back of pictures.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Here we can see the beginning of Journey of Water...

1637950875874.png

comics101

Unfortunately the Swan and Dolphin seemed to have started a precedent in this park of allowing visual intrusions such as this. I have to say though if you don’t look for it, the blue they picked really does blend into the sky well.

This is such a poor comparison. Are the Swan and Dolphin intrusive? Sure. So is the Contemporary from various points of the Magic Kingdom. That doesn’t mean these hotels are the equivalent of an ugly, un-themed blue box. There’s a huge difference between post-modernist hotel buildings a mile from the park and a warehouse that looms over the entrance.

castlecake2.0

This is such a poor comparison. Are the Swan and Dolphin intrusive? Sure. So is the Contemporary from various points of the Magic Kingdom. That doesn’t mean these hotels are the equivalent of an ugly, un-themed blue box. There’s a huge difference between post-modernist hotel buildings a mile from the park and a warehouse that looms over the entrance.
I’d say a giant post modernist swan statue rising into the air behind 1890s Paris is uglier, so to each their own.
46233ADF-D1ED-4560-8ECD-717D2CE83F8C.jpeg

UNCgolf

I’d say a giant post modernist swan statue rising into the air behind 1890s Paris is uglier, so to each their own.View attachment 603072

That's a telephoto lens shot that distorts the perspective -- it doesn't actually look like that in the park. It's actually the same kind of photo people were using to make the Guardians building look even worse.

With that said, I've always disliked the Swan and Dolphin's visual intrusion, but wasn't that somewhat out of Disney's hands?

I thought there was an issue with Tishman having exclusive rights to any convention hotels built in that area. I'm not a fan of the design of the Swan and Dolphin, but it's definitely better than a generic tower hotel (i.e. something like one of the Disney Springs area hotels) looming over everything.

My overall point is that Disney didn't have full control over that visual intrusion (I think) but they do have control over stuff like the Guardians warehouse.

Last edited:

ChrisFL

Premium Member

That comparison doesn't work as well because the Contemporary was designed to thematically blend in with Tomorrowland

Also, I'm no camera expert, but the way the Swolphin looks REALLY depends on the kind of lens being used right?

Incomudro

This is from Google earth streetview from the Norway pavilion which is a pretty unbiased photo.
Cameras distort depth, (some more than others) it's just the way that the two dimensional image is reproduced vs how our eyes see things when we are actually there.
I get the intention, that we can see these odd looking hotels from in the park.
Personally, I've actually always liked seeing them.
In part, because they are off in the distance.
I never found that they broke immersion for me, because they were outside of the particular park I was in.
They don't take me out of the illusion, because I know that I am still seeing Disney.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom