News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

SplashJacket

Also means the Spaceship Earth overhaul is likely cancelled as well, unless it closes down in the next few months.
I would agree, but they updated this concept art.

1637647565299.png

1637647557926.png

The top one is the original and the bottom is the new one. It shows the updated SSE entrance/exit seen in this concept art.

1637647608047.png

DoleWhipDrea

I would agree, but they updated this concept art.

View attachment 602441

View attachment 602440

The top one is the original and the bottom is the new one. It shows the updated SSE entrance/exit seen in this concept art.

View attachment 602442

Okay that's interesting. Good catch!

Something Alicia Stella pointed out was that the concept art of Connections Cafe's mural was/is supposed to tie into the new ending of SSE. Perhaps these things together inform that a lot of changes are still planned? Or at least the descent is most likely getting updated?

durangojim

I don't know why, but something about this pose bugs me. Maybe because I've never seen a photo of Walt sitting on steps looking content as if he's admiring all he's done. All the photos I've seen of him look like he's still always thinking of more to do. (I'm sure it's just me though)

Epcot82Guy

I actually see what you are saying. For me, it depends on where the object of his focus. Having him focus on World Showcase (given his penchant for travel) or the old Fountain of Nations (an idea I think he would have loved) or something where guests are contributing or engaging, it would be kind of cool seeing him as a "guest" of sorts.

But, Walt was an avid futurist. So, it's the one time when "What Would Walt Do?" is actually a relevant and important question. Otherwise, it feels contrived - created by someone without knowledge of the source.

Sadly, I could see the original plan being him looking onto the Table Bar - which would have explained everything you ever would have needed to know about current management.

Cmdr_Crimson

I don't know why, but something about this pose bugs me. Maybe because I've never seen a photo of Walt sitting on steps looking content as if he's admiring all he's done. All the photos I've seen of him look like he's still always thinking of more to do. (I'm sure it's just me though)
Perhaps they should have used this image as inspiration with a plaque below him that says
"Where's My City!?!?"
1478241388766.jpg

Disstevefan1

I’m not hopeful at all that SSE will get its badly-needed ride system overhaul anytime soon. ☹️
I am totally OK with the current SSE ride system. It seemed to work all this time fine, yes, it went down sometimes, but overall worked well.

I would love to see the return to Earth (2nd half) of the ride be reverted to put the scenes back. I think they just put up scrim up to hide the old scenes anyway..

James Alucobond

I actually see what you are saying. For me, it depends on where the object of his focus. Having him focus on World Showcase (given his penchant for travel) or the old Fountain of Nations (an idea I think he would have loved) or something where guests are contributing or engaging, it would be kind of cool seeing him as a "guest" of sorts.

But, Walt was an avid futurist. So, it's the one time when "What Would Walt Do?" is actually a relevant and important question. Otherwise, it feels contrived - created by someone without knowledge of the source.

Sadly, I could see the original plan being him looking onto the Table Bar - which would have explained everything you ever would have needed to know about current management.
Pretty sure it has always been said in press releases that the view from Dreamers Point is of the World Showcase. I would assume that's what the statue will be facing as well, though the Harmonious barges could make that kind of ugly at this point.

UNCgolf

I am totally OK with the current SSE ride system. It seemed to work all this time fine, yes, it went down sometimes, but overall worked well.

I would love to see the return to Earth (2nd half) of the ride be reverted to put the scenes back. I think they just put up scrim up to hide the old scenes anyway..

It's not about changing the ride system to something else; it's about fixing it so that it's smooth and doesn't break down.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

That’s been an issue for 14 years. 😁 The ride system is rough and getting rougher.

MrPromey

Pretty sure it has always been said in press releases that the view from Dreamers Point is of the World Showcase. I would assume that's what the statue will be facing as well, though the Harmonious barges could make that kind of ugly at this point.
Ah yes, have Walt admiring the tacos!

Makes perfect sense. :cautious:

Given what they're currently doing with the company, this statue feels even more blatantly like a cynical, contemptuous attempt to turn Walt himself into a cheap IP to mine.

While destroying the legacy of everything this man built, I'm sure they'll sell lots of minitures of this statue in the gift shops and get lots of free marketing from all the instagram posts it'll inspire which, lets be honest, is all this statue will be good for, anyway.

Last edited:

Epcot82Guy

I've heard that, but couldn't find it. (Very open if I missed something!)

I still am sad, since renovating CC Northwest into an expanded One Man's Dream with this as the entry could have actually been a really cool use of that building IMHO.

(And yes, JoW could have easily appeared behind it to bridge Land and Seas.)

James Alucobond

Tracked down the original description in the Disney Parks Blog. The section on Dreamers Point reads as follows:

As you exit Spaceship Earth, you’ll discover a breathtaking new view of World Showcase from Dreamers Point. World Celebration will also feature a new statue celebrating the legacy of the original dreamer, Walt Disney, plus beautiful natural environments and global design elements filled with Disney magic and surprises, including a wishing tree in an enchanted forest and a story fountain celebrating the power and music of iconic Disney storytelling.

I believe there's a more recent version that removes the text about the wishing tree, but the description of the views remains.

Cmdr_Crimson

Tracked down the original description in the Disney Parks Blog. The section on Dreamers Point reads as follows:

As you exit Spaceship Earth, you’ll discover a breathtaking new view of World Showcase from Dreamers Point. World Celebration will also feature a new statue celebrating the legacy of the original dreamer, Walt Disney, plus beautiful natural environments and global design elements filled with Disney magic and surprises, including a wishing tree in an enchanted forest and a story fountain celebrating the power and music of iconic Disney storytelling.

I believe there's a more recent version that removes the text about the wishing tree, but the description of the views remains.
I think they moved the Wishing tree idea to the new Toontown refurb..
u7ty23ri7tyghv3r1t6u413.jpg

Here's the quote from the parks blog...
A nearby dreaming tree will be inspired by the tree a young Walt Disney would daydream under in his hometown. Sculpted tree roots will provide an opportunity for children to play, crawl and explore, and undulating topography will offer rolling hills and a place to sit and dream.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom