News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

DC0703

This is all compounded by the fact that it's not even clear whether the final product will replace all of the lost uses that were in the (already partly-abandoned) buildings prior to the project starting. It was always clear that DCA's redo was going to be an unobjectionable improvement. At best, Epcot seems to be returning to its original form, but with fewer things to do than before.
Though I agree with most of what you said in your post, is this part really true? The only real attraction loss due to this project was Innoventions, which was largely vacant prior to the closure anyway. Maybe a displaced meet and greet. With the addition of Remy, I'd say they are about equal to before.

I do agree that this project in retrospect probably should have been done in chunks. Obviously they couldn't have known about the pandemic; however, even without a pandemic, I sense this would have been drawn out.

aladdin2007

I don't understand the fascination with the new club cool, its half the size it use to be, its seems like an afterthought (and a generic one at that) off to the side in creations...what's the big deal with this? I found it extremely disappointing. This bland "target" design they are doing with everything is just the bottom of the imagineering barrel.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I don't understand the fascination with the new club cool, its half the size it use to be, its seems like an afterthought (and a generic one at that) off to the side in creations...what's the big deal with this? I found it extremely disappointing. This bland "target" design they are doing with everything is just the bottom of the imagineering barrel.
You're describing my lack of understanding of the fascination with the old Club Cool.

Mstr Gra-c

Well, it ran up against the pandemic because WDW let EPCOT stagnate for two decades. And closing the entire plaza rather then working on it in chunks, as the folks here are suggesting, was a choice made before the pandemic.

It’s funny how everybody else, including WDW guests, are expected to deal with the fallout from the pandemic - little entertainment, spotty housekeeping, no parking trams, etc. - but it’s absurd to think the humongous multinational corporation might have to adapt by reducing prices or paying more then they want in salaries and materials. Once again, some folks seem to think the guest should serve WDW, not vice versa.

If Disney wants to keep charging full price, it needs to build aggressively or scrap the plan and reopen with temporary infrastructure. Period.

Oh, and it takes a lot of guts to accuse paying guests at a neglected and broken park of demanding “instant gratification.”
I am constantly baffled by the complete lack of understanding of simple economic theory. You cannot, in the same thread of thought, complain about the condition of the parks AND the cost of admission. 2021 is VERY different from the 70s, 80s, 90s or even the 2000s. (I mean duh, right?) It is increasingly difficult for Disney Parks to get things done. They could get things back to the good-old-days of quick attraction refurbs and park district overhauls, over staffed resorts and bend over backward service. They really could. And you would be VERY happy...oh, except for the fact that the ticket prices would have to go up even more.
So which is it...you can't have both.
Demanding that this "humongous multinational corporation" (yawn) service your exact needs immediately and at a price that is right for you is not only ignorant, it's also awfully narcissistic.
What you should do is stop buying the product, if it bugs you that much. Seriously, if an orange juice tasted bad and was expensive...you wouldn't buy it. You would just not spend the money. And you probably wouldn't waste your time going on a website to complain about it. (Well then again...)
But you won't stop buying THIS orange juice will you? You will keep paying the higher prices and then complaining about things that weren't exactly to your liking. Even though ceasing to buy the product is the one thing you could do to illicit a change, or at least give credence to your internet tear shedding.

Bocabear

Are you actually defending the position that we should be happy about paying higher prices while the attraction roster continues to drop?
Higher prices, less to do...
and they are right, it is a "humongous multinational corporation"... They SHOULD be able to complete an overhaul to a park in 4 years or build an attraction in less than 3 years...Other parks do it...
I have been a huge advocate of Disney for most of my life, but I think they are finally hitting as tipping point... it is not just the cost of park admission but the compounded everything else, while continuing to provide less of the things that made WDW special.
I keep hoping there is a turn around at some point and the quality that Disney was known for begins to return.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Was The NEW Fountain of Nations included in the new design? I thought I saw it on renderings but alittle more toward World Showcase Plaza? I wonder if they will include a ceremony, like the first one, where all the countries dump their water into the fountain!(I truly hope they are real and get water from each country?)

EDIT ABOUT FOUNTAIN: The water WAS from each country! I hope they do this again...even for symbolism...we are a world of many , but a one kind of human!(Disney- you can use that! :))
I really hope they still have a fountain show in that area. I got afraid that they wouldn’t because they announced the taco barges would have daytime fountain shows but that never happened. One picture seems to have the barricades circled now where the old fountain was it would only make sense if they decide not to build the egg. I always thought if they were to do away with the Fountain of Nations that they should have a Bellagio style Fountain outside of Imagination.

fgmnt

I am constantly baffled by the complete lack of understanding of simple economic theory. You cannot, in the same thread of thought, complain about the condition of the parks AND the cost of admission. 2021 is VERY different from the 70s, 80s, 90s or even the 2000s. (I mean duh, right?) It is increasingly difficult for Disney Parks to get things done. They could get things back to the good-old-days of quick attraction refurbs and park district overhauls, over staffed resorts and bend over backward service. They really could. And you would be VERY happy...oh, except for the fact that the ticket prices would have to go up even more.
Demanding that this "humongous multinational corporation" (yawn) service your exact needs immediately and at a price that is right for you is not only ignorant, it's also awfully narcissistic.
What you should do is stop buying the product, if it bugs you that much. Seriously, if an orange juice tasted bad and was expensive...you wouldn't buy it. You would just not spend the money. And you probably wouldn't waste your time going on a website to complain about it. (Well then again...)
But you won't stop buying THIS orange juice will you? You will keep paying the higher prices and then complaining about things that weren't exactly to your liking. Even though ceasing to buy the product is the one thing you could do to illicit a change, or at least give credence to your internet tear shedding.
Domestic DPEP ticket price increases are outpacing any other economic metric, from inflation and COLA to movie ticket prices.

I will give you some credit for the way we build things in this country is pretty disastrous in terms of timelines, scope, pick and choose regulations, building up the wrong kinds of infrastructure. I'll also credit that the federal and state governments are either not caring or overtly hostile to workers in the hospitality industry as that industry has grown in this country, so companies are having to actually pay workers more to get the work they need done, done. I'll even say that some part of how the company has been developing attractions caters to consumer tastes that I can charitably describe as... incompatible with something like EPCOT in 1982.

But operationally, there are problems with attraction build out and maintenance that are 99% problems of Disney's own design, with the leftover 1% you can ascribe to the incentive structures of management for a publicly traded company in 2021. They spend money on things that can't cycle more than 2000 people in an hour and leave you thinking "I guess this was fine." It's wild to defend it in totality.

ImperfectPixie

They post billions in profits and pay their executives exorbitant salaries. Stop making excuses for the company.

montyz81

It weas always fun to go in and sample some drinks on a hot day...a little diversion...though I have to say the original ice tunnel was WAY better then the Tween Dance Party redo... The new store is joyless and plain...and now just feels like a store and not an attraction. Boo.
If you notice, that is everything they do these days. Look at Creations shop. Look at the World of Disney, look at Illuminations, Reflections of Bob CheapSkate (Harmonious). I have no hope for Guardians or Tron. Can you imagine what the redo of Imagination would be from a company that has all but lost its imagination?

Casper Gutman

You should probably try and gather some information before making a post like this. As posters above have pointed out very articulately, ticket prices have skyrocketed past any other economic measure - go google a chart of price increases vs inflation. And that’s not even considering the absurd increase in hotel rates and the addition of nickel-and-dime nonsense like G+.

As for the other tired boilerplate, your assumptions about me are baseless, I and many other posters go a lot less, I’ll post where I like, and if you’re going to be this arrogant please try harder to be original.

fgmnt

Imagination is different. It's a terrible ride but the ride system itself isn't getting close to failing like it is at Spaceship Earth.

Spaceship Earth is still a great ride other than the final descent!
the problem with spaceship Earth's infrastructure is easily fixable, just throw some trim brakes on the track 😎

yensid1967

Are you actually defending the position that we should be happy about paying higher prices while the attraction roster continues to drop?
Higher prices, less to do...
and they are right, it is a "humongous multinational corporation"... They SHOULD be able to complete an overhaul to a park in 4 years or build an attraction in less than 3 years...Other parks do it...
I have been a huge advocate of Disney for most of my life, but I think they are finally hitting as tipping point... it is not just the cost of park admission but the compounded everything else, while continuing to provide less of the things that made WDW special.
I keep hoping there is a turn around at some point and the quality that Disney was known for begins to return.
EXACTLY! Its not that I dislike Disney its just that as prices go up the things are being taken away that people go for! I worked for Disney and I LOVE Disney, but just don't like how things are with higher prices and less offerings...BUT AS YOU SEE IN MY SIGNATURE...I AM STILL PLANNING A TRIP!;)

Last edited:

J4546

I think ticket prices are super high but if to be honest, Im kinda glad they area that high because it keeps out a lot of idiots. I know thats a mean thing to say, and Im not saying poor people are idiots, Im poor. I am poorer than probably anyone on this site, I live in Hollywood trying to make it as a comedian/actor...thats not going well so I make a living of driving for uber just so I can pay to stay in a roach infested studio....things are not great for me and I am very poor... Maybe I am in idiot lol...Anyway.... When I go to six flags or Knotts or cheaper parks there are idiots screaming out cuss words and racial slurs everywhere, idiots getting into fights and yelling matches, idiots wearing t shirts that say idiot things and overall just being stupid idiots. Idiots still exist in Disney parks as well but much less so it seems. I would gladly pay a higher price if it keeps out idiots is all im saying.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom