News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

NoChesterHester

UofE has been closed for over 4 years now.

I think that whole side of Future World is a disaster -- literally every single thing there is worse than it was in the early-mid 1990s -- but yeah, I don't think it's really any different right now than it was 3.5 years ago.

You mean except construction walls everywhere and every in place attraction feeling like it is falling apart… then sure. It’s a vastly different experience of tunnels and sadness.

UNCgolf

You mean except construction walls everywhere and every in place attraction feeling like it is falling apart… then sure. It’s a vastly different experience of tunnels and sadness.

I guess the construction walls are new. The attractions are the same as they have been though. It's a shame how bad it is compared to how incredible it was 25-30 years ago.

Epcot82Guy

I guess the construction walls are new. The attractions are the same as they have been though. It's a shame how bad it is compared to how incredible it was 25-30 years ago.
It's a little like rebuilding the Titanic while people are on it to look post-ice berg because you know swimming lessons with Ariel and Elsa will sell.

DreamfinderGuy

UofE has been closed for over 4 years now.

I think that whole side of Future World is a disaster -- literally every single thing there is worse than it was in the early-mid 1990s -- but yeah, I don't think it's really any different right now than it was 3.5 years ago.
The entire core of the park has been destroyed. No Innoventions, old Club Cool, meet and greets, flex space, Electric Umbrella, not to mention the actual space to walk around in and the views. It’s an absolute downgrade over what was there 3 and a half years ago.

UNCgolf

The entire core of the park has been destroyed. No Innoventions, old Club Cool, meet and greets, flex space, Electric Umbrella, not to mention the actual space to walk around in and the views. It’s an absolute downgrade over what was there 3 and a half years ago.

Yeah, but his original comment was only about that side of Future World, not Future World as a whole. I was thinking about the area once you're past Communicore because I was considering that a different section of the park.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Two new permits today.

The first one still bears the name of the long closed resturant..

1940 AVENUE OF THE STARS(PASTA PIAZZA) - Project G: 217 Foundations

1634857542783.png

1442 AVENUE OF THE STARS(FOUNTAIN PLAZA TECH BUILDING) - Project G: 200D-3 Enabling work at South Pathways

1634857578609.png

Casper Gutman

It is shocking that they didn’t even leave an avenue across the center of the park. The omnipresent walls really are oppressive - they press in from all sides and block the horizon. Coming around UoE towards guest services you get a nice glimpse of barb wire fence - great show. Any renovation that required this kind of mangling of the park should never have been greenlit, or at worst, completed in chunks.

And the best part is this is all for no real benefit. Even Disney doesn’t seem to know what they’re building anymore, but it won’t be a ride or show or even an interesting restaurant. They need to open the center up NOW, even if that means putting in place a lot of temporary infrastructure, or they need to decide what they’re doing and build at a furious pace.

DreamfinderGuy

It is shocking that they didn’t even leave an avenue across the center of the park. The omnipresent walls really are oppressive - they press in from all sides and block the horizon. Coming around UoE towards guest services you get a nice glimpse of barb wire fence - great show. Any renovation that required this kind of mangling of the park should never have been greenlit, or at worst, completed in chunks.

And the best part is this is all for no real benefit. Even Disney doesn’t seem to know what they’re building anymore, but it won’t be a ride or show or even an interesting restaurant. They need to open the center up NOW, even if that means putting in place a lot of temporary infrastructure, or they need to decide what they’re doing and build at a furious pace.
I get everything you're saying, but the center of the park did need work. It was half stuck in the 90's, half totally abandoned. It wouldn't be the first time they did it all at once. Soon enough the other half of CommuniCore East will open and we'll have a clear path from Guest Relations to World Showcase again.

Casper Gutman

I get everything you're saying, but the center of the park did need work. It was half stuck in the 90's, half totally abandoned. It wouldn't be the first time they did it all at once. Soon enough the other half of CommuniCore East will open and we'll have a clear path from Guest Relations to World Showcase again.
The problem is I see no indication the center will be improved. Even before budget cuts, the pandemic, and executive fumbling, the plan seemed incoherent - they tore out half of a mirrored structure, after all. Now it’s likely to sit in this state for years. And I see nothing in the redo that requires it all be done at once.

The core problem is that EPCOT has no unifying vision, no reason to be. The hole at its center is just the physical manifestation of this fact.

TrippedUp

I'm curious whats up with the names. Do you think they just pick whatever building is closest to the work location? Its theoretically possible that there is a Utilidor entrance where Pasta Piazza was that they're shoring up the foundations on, but the fountain control bldg was one of the first things to go and I think thats roughly where the popcorn stand is now. Or maybe just nothing.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Before: A diverging path around SSE that re-merged forcing you into the center of the hub before you can go left or right or continue onto World Showcase.

Now (temporarily): A diverging path around SSE that lets one go immediately to the left or right or continue onto to World Showcase.

I can certainly see how that would make people so angry at the inconvenience.

Casper Gutman

Before: A diverging path around SSE that re-merged forcing you into the center of the hub before you can go left or right or continue onto World Showcase.

Now (temporarily): A diverging path around SSE that lets one go immediately to the left or right or continue onto to World Showcase.

I can certainly see how that would make people so angry at the inconvenience.
Wait… have you been? You can’t “continue onto World Showcase,” there’s no path forward past SSE. And your description neglects to mention the difficulties of doing something crazy, like going from one side of Future World to the other. Even walking from Test Track to SSE is much, much less convenient. EPCOT is already Orlando’s most sprawling park, and this exacerbates the issue immensely. Not to mention the staggering aesthetic impact on the entire park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom