News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

Dr.GrantSeeker

Latest look at construction of the new food and beverage area at the center of EPCOT in World Celebration​

Epcot_Full_44793.jpg
I wonder how soon they want this opened

jadebenn

Latest look at construction of the new food and beverage area at the center of EPCOT in World Celebration​

Epcot_Full_44793.jpg
Are they filling in the windows, or is that just tarping? It's hard for me to tell from the image resolution.

Also, is it just me, or have they repainted the section outside of the work zone? It looks pretty good!

jpinkc

I am sure they have Mc Donalds, Wendys, Burger King, KFC, and anyone else who will pay to go into the new Mall Food Court they are building. UGH!!!!

MrPromey

Futureworld at Epcot suffers the same issues as Tomorrowland… keeping up with the future is hard and expensive.

I find it ironic my favorite ride in the (former) Futureworld is a ride showing the history of communication that ends with development of computers in the 90s.
And you know what's funny about that? Since 2013 was your first visit, you wouldn't know this but the previous version actually showcased a distant future that would now be more of a fairly accurate today and near future at the end*, most of it happening on the way down where the cars now have you focused on the interactive screens depicting 60's style animation of a fantastical and unrealistic future that now seems horribly dated, largely because the tech they use to cut out people's heads is so bad by modern standards.

The addition of the mainframe room and the garage scene (and the interactive screen stuff) that you're thinking looks dated where it ends today was actually added in 2008, just a few years before your first visit.

That's right, for some unfathomable reason, they added a new ending for this future world attraction in 2008 that has the story of human progression ending in the 1970's (before EPCOT had even been built) prior to jumping to a short put-you-face-in-the-jetson's cartoon.

I think some of that physical scene ending had more to do with Steve Jobs becoming the largest single shareholder of Disney stock just prior to that than anything else, though.

*think scenes depicting people talking over great distances with video chat - a vet in the rain forest doing work with a leopard while communicating with someone by face on a tablet-like device (befor the iPad) back in an office, etc... elderly grandparents attending their grandaughter's graduation "virtually" through the use of basically a big screen tv and a web cam. In 2007 when they closed to make the changes to what we have today, we were about two years away from Apple's introduction of the iPhone and the beginning of the consumer mobile revolution that has come to usher in a lot of these ideas the ride's previous ending featured.

Last edited:

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Expedition Everest was a better return on investment than pretty much everything at Walt Disney World since.
That’s good. I agree.

It’s not relevant to the discussion of rockin roller coaster and modern day disney though. Especially Hollywood studios.

MrPromey

Most people realize that those ideas are never going to come to be.
Yes, the very young could certainly dream that.
But those dreams (living undersea, living/mining other planets etc.) used to be believed by the young, and by adults.
You can't really sell people on that anymore.
Somebody probably should have told these guys that before they decided to waste their fortunes privatizing space travel, I guess. 🤷‍♂️

2_richest_guys_in_the_world_and_some_dude.jpg

Last edited:

Incomudro

Somebody probably should have told these guys that before they decided to waste their fortunes privatizing space travel, I guess. 🤷‍♂️

View attachment 593344
As exciting and amazing as what these men are doing with reusable rockets.
It's not "space travel." Well, in the most literal sense that the rockets reach space.
It's certainly not the colonization of planets.
In any event, Epcot has that covered with Mission Mars and Space 220.

lazyboy97o

That’s good. I agree.

It’s not relevant to the discussion of rockin roller coaster and modern day disney though. Especially Hollywood studios.
It’s relevant to your claim that “IP will pay of heavily.”

It's not "space travel." Well, in the most literal sense that the rockets reach space.
The International Space Station is just “space travel” and not in space?

Texas84

The guy on the left is already sending astronauts to the ISS and building Mars boosters and landers in Texas. The other two are thrill ride operators.

MrPromey

They're not there yet but that's the goal.

Similar to how a year ago, private flights off the planet from the US for civilans was not a reality but a goal.

Musk has been clear for a long time about his vision of humans on Mars and is putting private money into it.

NASA has plans for the moon and Mars.

NASA is slow though because it relies on public money and safely doing space stuff is expensive.

I know a lot of people think that NASA not being at the front of everything seems like a decline and like space isn't as much of a thing anymore but it's exactly the opposite. Them taking more of a back seat was always the goal. Government was supposed to pick up the slack until there was enough interest from the private sector to start pushing things forward.

It's taken half a century and the egos of some middle-aged billionaires to get us there but we're finally at that tipping point.

Regarding Mission Mars and Space 220 from an edutainment standpoint, Mission Mars was from the start intended as a thrill ride first and connected to some form of reality, second* and Space 220 is to the idea of actual space dining what T-Rex in Disney Springs is to actually dining in the Mesozoic era. :/

*Are you on a simulator or actually going to space? In neither the old version or the two newer ones does it seem like they've made up their minds on the story they're telling.

Last edited:

Incomudro

They're not there yet but that's the goal.

Similar to how a year ago, private flights off the planet from the US for civilans was not a reality but a goal.

Musk has been clear for a long time about his vision of humans on Mars and is putting private money into it.

NASA has plans for the moon and Mars.

NASA is slow though because it relies on public money and safely doing space stuff is expensive.

I know a lot of people think that NASA not being at the front of everything seems like a decline but that was always the goal - that government would pick up the slack until there was enough interest from the private sector to start pushing things forward.

It's taken half a century and the egos of some middle-aged billionaires to get us there but we're finally at that tipping point.

Regarding Mission Mars and Space 220 from an edutainment standpoint, Mission Mars isn't even close and Space 220 is to the idea of actual space dining what T-Rex in Disney Springs is to actually dining in the Mesozoic era. :/

They're (Mission Mars and Space 220) close enough.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom