News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

Incomudro

There's a whole segment of the population that looks for educational opportunities where most people don't see any - homeschool parents.

And lets not forget parents who aren't against pulling their kids from school...they feel a lot less guilty when they're able to believe that there's an educational aspect to their trip.
I understand that, but that's just a portion of park goers - and how much of a portion that is, I'm not certain but I don't believe that it is a large one.

J4546

Im looking forward to Epcots future. Everything Ive seen so far (with exception to Harmonious barges staying out on lagoon) has been good imo. I like space 220 a lot, Rat Expansion is a great addition to WS, Geletaria is nice, Popcorn stand is nice, New Communicore looks great imo, New entrance is fantastic, SSE lighting is awesome.... Im really optimistic about what the center spine/JoW will end up looking like as well as GotG and Play! area.

Last edited:

James Alucobond

No one thinks classic EPCOT is coming back. At this point the park needs a vision, any vision - and a lot of attractions.
Agreed that they need a lot more attractions and that they need to move much, much more quickly in the areas of the park that actually need attention. They should never have invested so much time and energy into the spine and Harmonious when what they replaced would have still been perfectly functional with a basic facelift.

However, I do think they have a vision. Based on what we've heard about Spaceship Earth refocusing on storytelling, I think that's their intended hook. Each neighborhood still has an educational frontispiece about humanity (our thirst for exploration in Discovery, our relationship with our planet in Nature, and our ties to one another through the lens of culture in Showcase), but the associated attractions are now meant to be about Disney stories inspired by exploration, the natural world, and culture. To me, the biggest misfire on this front is the Wonders of Xandar pavilion, which should simply be a Wonders of the Galaxy pavilion focused on our actual universe with Cosmic Rewind as the "uniquely Disney" story associated with it. I would also obviously prefer it if the rides somehow focused on the source of their inspiration rather than just regurgitating material from the films, but on some level I understand their hesitancy with doing that when kids probably just want Elsa belting out Let It Go in their faces rather than lecturing them about runes and nixies. 🤷‍♂️

Epcot82Guy

I think there's an important distinction to be made here. I agree the educational component may not work the way the broad base wants. However, Epcot should still focus on inspiration from our real world. That's the big miss in a lot of the current additions. Something doesn't have to actually teach something to showcase a cool part of our world and inspire people. Inspire to create. Inspire to visit. Inspire to think. Inspire to ask. Inspire to ask. There are so many stories to make people feel more connected to the world we live in and are creating. (And, yes, IPs can play a role there.). That's the piece we're truly losing and is so sad. And I'd say it's due to poor story telling and shoehorning. The Disney catalogue has a TON to draw from here, and they are making odd choices that don't connect or fit together. Just like HARM, the park needs a clear overall story and mission (like it's always had). I know the higher ups hate that because they then can't just throw in whatever ride they want to. But, at least you me, that "wide, scene and close up shot view" idea in building the parks it's what made Disney World what it was.

Vegas Disney Fan

I really don't undestand what you guys want them to do with EPCOT. The original concept of EPCOT doesn't work in a world with internet. Video killed the radio star and knowledge killed the original concept.

There's nothing Disney can do about it. Is like crying about the closures of Blockbusters. Yeah, I loved going to them as a child and watching all the movies in the shelves and reading all the movie plots before choosing what to take home. But, we are not in 1995 anymore. It's time to move on and assume than EPCOT can't be the same cause people is not interested in it.

Futureworld at Epcot suffers the same issues as Tomorrowland… keeping up with the future is hard and expensive.

I find it ironic my favorite ride in the (former) Futureworld is a ride showing the history of communication that ends with development of computers in the 90s.

I think there's an important distinction to be made here. I agree the educational component may not work the way the broad base wants. However, Epcot should still focus on inspiration from our real world. That's the big miss in a lot of the current additions. Something doesn't have to actually teach something to showcase a cool part of our world and inspire people. Inspire to create. Inspire to visit. Inspire to think. Inspire to ask. Inspire to ask. There are so many stories to make people feel more connected to the world we live in and are creating. (And, yes, IPs can play a role there.). That's the piece we're truly losing and is so sad. And I'd say it's due to poor story telling and shoehorning. The Disney catalogue has a TON to draw from here, and they are making odd choices that don't connect or fit together. Just like HARM, the park needs a clear overall story and mission (like it's always had). I know the higher ups hate that because they then can't just throw in whatever ride they want to. But, at least you me, that "wide, scene and close up shot view" idea in building the parks it's what made Disney World what it was.

Love this post… Epcot can still work, inspiration is doable without the need to constantly change everything trying to keep up with the future.

Similar to how Discoveryland at Paris is very similar to our Tomorrowlands but without the problems that come with a “tomorrow” land.

Epcot82Guy

I agree on the TL problem. And MK is a perfect example of where Disney storytelling goes wrong. The idea of a future city that never was is a great theme. (Just like the more sophisticated Jules Verne ascetic of Discoveryland.). But instead they threw out the theme to add popular IPs.

Back to Epcot, I think about the myriad of ideas that could be inspiring. And they could use films set in the real world as the source. It's ironic they are so draconian about their IP lands and Fantasyland. But then other themes can get tossed to the wayside and made into a hodgepodge.

Poseidon Quest

Futureworld at Epcot suffers the same issues as Tomorrowland… keeping up with the future is hard and expensive.

Does it though? The majority of the original attractions in Epcot focused on the history of certain subjects with the futuristic portions either being vague enough to be adjustable and updatable, or were quite fantastical as with Horizons. I think that the idea of "outdated Epcot" is a myth because Eisner wanted an excuse to build cheaper and more thrilling attractions to encourage corporate sponsors to renew.

Club Cooloholic

Does it though? The majority of the original attractions in Epcot focused on the history of certain subjects with the futuristic portions either being vague enough to be adjustable and updatable, or were quite fantastical as with Horizons. I think that the idea of "outdated Epcot" is a myth because Eisner wanted an excuse to build cheaper and more thrilling attractions to encourage corporate sponsors to renew.
Exactly. Nobody couldn't tell me that today's child couldn't ride and updated horizons with all the newest bells and whistles and not be enthralled about imagining living life somewhere extraordinary.

Incomudro

Exactly. Nobody couldn't tell me that today's child couldn't ride and updated horizons with all the newest bells and whistles and not be enthralled about imagining living life somewhere extraordinary.

Most people realize that those ideas are never going to come to be.
Yes, the very young could certainly dream that.
But those dreams (living undersea, living/mining other planets etc.) used to be believed by the young, and by adults.
You can't really sell people on that anymore.

RoysCabin

Good point, and yeah, it was likely the heart of why so many classic EPCOT rides focused on the past for awhile, since updating to reflect new historical studies would always be simpler than having to update to suit the "new future".

EPCOT did suffer from being built just as the era of "the great big beautiful tomorrow" was ending; America had basically convinced itself in the post-WW2 era that we were mere decades away from Jetsons-style living (I exaggerate slightly for effect), but a whole host of issues that this isn't the venue for diving into happened that made a lot of that moot. Fair point, and definitely something that EPCOT would have to adjust to!

However, the concepts of communications, of ecology, of energy production, of transportation, etc.? Those have never gone away. We've changed how we talk about them, sure, but there's still an endless array of incredibly exciting concepts out there that, no, we likely can't approach with that "Golly gee, Mr. Wizard, early post-industrial America can sure do anything!" air anymore, but there's still a million different things to explore and ask questions about that could keep them totally relevant.

Basically, maintain the timeless aspects of rides and attractions (e.g. the bulk of Spaceship Earth), but tweak the endings as needed or build up more interactive spaces for people to get a hands-on look at some of the newest ideas...not Innoventions style, as large tech companies are loathe to share prototypes with the public (and their competitors), but why not talk about ideas going on around the world today for improved, say, high speed transit? Alternative energy? Advanced food production? Preserving the oceans? That's not that hard to update, and it's not like people (and children!) don't enjoy visiting things like science museums and other more educational destinations. And heck, if the goal is timelessness, then don't destroy timeless attractions like the original Journey Into Imagination!

But yeah, I said this in the Harmonious thread, but I think for a lot of us we know full well that EPCOT's been suffering for decades now, but as long as the "skeleton" of EPCOT Center remained there was still that hope that things could be righted, and there were still aspects of the original park that remained that could remind you of why you fell in love with the place originally. Seeing those parts get gutted and the replacements fail to inspire makes it easy to feel deflated in spite of the new investments.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
But yeah, I said this in the Harmonious thread, but I think for a lot of us we know full well that EPCOT's been suffering for decades now, but as long as the "skeleton" of EPCOT Center remained there was still that hope that things could be righted, and there were still aspects of the original park that remained that could remind you of why you fell in love with the place originally. Seeing those parts get gutted and the replacements fail to inspire makes it easy to feel deflated in spite of the new investments.

TLDR Futureworld is history as is EPCOT 82.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I don't think we're completely past the point of no return still - minus GoG, East Futureworld seems relatively unmaimed - but it's another step toward extinguishing the original spark of that section of the park.

I think it is as that section was always sponsored attractions and there are none now.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
But IPCOT also requires them to spend money to bring in attractions that are sorely lacking... Seems more like it is about reducing the footprint, less to maintain, modest investment is the future... Sadly for the guests...
I disagree. Disney knows IP will pay off highly after the investment. They just want to do it slowly. Otherwise we wouldn’t have Guardians, Frozen, and Rat.. or even a Beauty and the Beast sing along film.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member

Latest look at construction of the new food and beverage area at the center of EPCOT in World Celebration​

Epcot_Full_44793.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom