"Big" Apple announcement may involve Disney

s8film40

It's not about who implements a certain technology first, it's about who can make it work for the broadest audience. I'm sure Apple has had a NFC phone in their labs for at least 5 years, the key is getting everyone on board to accept it. As others have said Android phones have already had it for some time but it's only able to be used selectively and so it's pretty much a meaningless feature on those phone. Same is true with MyMagic+ all the technology has been around for some time the key factor is building a system to bring it together. Magic Bands are not an essential part for MyMagic+ to work. The true test of the system will be it's ability to adapt to new technologies. I think Magic Bands have a very limited future at WDW.

ABQ

so Ipay will work like a debit card? Not that I will use it but just curious. Security is going to be a b**ch though.

Chip and pin sounds like the better option
Similar, but more like a credit card, as bank interchange fees are more easily collected from credit and debit, and that is what will drive systems to adopt this, the percentage they take.
I'm sure I'm oversimplifying it, but in essence, it's always all about the revenue.

PrincessNelly_NJ

It's not about who implements a certain technology first, it's about who can make it work for the broadest audience. I'm sure Apple has had a NFC phone in their labs for at least 5 years, the key is getting everyone on board to accept it. As others have said Android phones have already had it for some time but it's only able to be used selectively and so it's pretty much a meaningless feature on those phone. Same is true with MyMagic+ all the technology has been around for some time the key factor is building a system to bring it together. Magic Bands are not an essential part for MyMagic+ to work. The true test of the system will be it's ability to adapt to new technologies. I think Magic Bands have a very limited future at WDW.
Youre right contactless payment is not new, over 17 years old at this point (4 years old to phones). But what's always been clear, is that Apple has the power to make things popular.
I'm still not sold that we will go magicband-less anytime soon. Phones just don't last that long with heavy use. Even with charging stations in the park, who wants to spend precious time charging their phone? (Unless we are talking turbo charging)
Even with the locked charging stations, they would need a ton of them. People would complain if they weren't any available.

bhg469

That convenience is going to disappear in the next year because your card is soon going to require a PIN.
but i dont need to type my pin on my phone first. chip and pin isnt coming as soon as you think but its still way easier than doing it on my phone.

PrincessNelly_NJ

so Ipay will work like a debit card? Not that I will use it but just curious. Security is going to be a b**ch though.

the demo of Apple Pay showed them using the finger print scanner to complete the purchase. Other mobile pay apps use a pin code.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

I don't know that Disney will be to quick to get rid of the bands. With the bands they can grab info from every member of the party whenever they want to which gives them a lot of valuable data. Not everyone is going to have an NFC enabled phone, they aren't always going to be on or even charged. Also young kids won't have them.

s8film40

I don't know that Disney will be to quick to get rid of the bands. With the bands they can grab info from every member of the party whenever they want to which gives them a lot of valuable data. Not everyone is going to have an NFC enabled phone, they aren't always going to be on or even charged. Also young kids won't have them.
Yeah, I do think Magic Bands will have their place. I just think the Magic Bands are what they will pull out when a guests doesn't have the technology themselves to support MyMagic+. I think also as they expand the features of the program moving away from Magic Bands as the primary tool they will be able to do much more.

blm07

So what was the announcement? That Apple computers will be used to make new CGI Disney movies? Something about paying for stuff in the parks? Is Disney really that worried about a few cents per purchase because people prefer to use their card instead of buying some stupid product? I'm guessing it'll be something that doesn't involve upgrades to the attractions in the parks or anything interesting at all. Meanwhile, Ellen's Energy Adventure is in dreadful terrible condition along with being woefully outdated, etc etc list of other rides that need updates.

The only thing that would excite me would be if they sponsored an pavilion at Epcot and turned it into a stunning new attraction that had no budget, or brought back the original Imagination or new Horizons. Imagination 2001 type of attraction doesn't count.

Last edited:

Jeffxz

If I understood the presentation properly, this should be much more secure. Each transaction will use a one time use code to be processed by the card provider. It will also require the fingerprint scan, and you will have the ability to disable your lost phone from the web.

alphac2005

There isn't anything groundbreaking in the Apple announcement with their payment option as most know it taps into the same system that you've probably seen all over the place as PayPass using the same technology. I can tell you that within the retail industry adoption has been awful no matter all the corporate push and what is now decently available devices at retailers. I've been to several conferences and panels that I've seen basically look at it at a complete failure. To go into the time machine, American Express in the late 90s was the first to attempt mobile readers and payment convenience devices and the plug was pulled on them as well.

Apple's advantage is their broad base and what I consider to be them being the Disney of our time. If they put their name on it, there is a large segment that sees it associated with quality and a way to do things. I think that Tim Cook and company might be underestimating the aversion that many in the States might have with the countless data breaches occurring here. By 2016 we'll see broad availability of chip based point of sale devices and that will finally have us caught up with our European, Asian, and Canadian counterparts. I have several chip based cards, yet no use for them as of yet unless I'm abroad. People in the States have to remember that Apple's major future growth lies in China, so even if this doesn't go big in the U.S., adopting mobile payments elsewhere in the world might find great success with Apple and it gives the consumer another reason to purchase their products.

It'll be very interesting to see if Apple can get cardless transactions to become ubiquitous.

FutureCEO

Anybody on the Iwatch watch?...hahah. It sounds like a phone for your wrist.

I for one would not like one. Actually Apple doesn't like me as a customer for I still have my Ipod from 2007, and my Mac and Iphone til they break.

s8film40

still, open wallet, hand card to nice lady... Still easier!
I think one of the big factors is that that's less secure.

Open wallet hand card to nice lady, lady swipes card behind counter hands it back to you. Next week you notice unusual charges, your account gets overdrawn you have to cancel the card wait for replacement and deal with all the things that aren't getting paid during all of this. Guess that lady wasn't so nice after all.

Also you can use Apple Watch to pay, it's already out of your wallet and on you wrist so more convenient.

Last edited:

dstrawn9889

Youre right contactless payment is not new, over 17 years old at this point (4 years old to phones). But what's always been clear, is that Apple has the power to make things popular.
I'm still not sold that we will go magicband-less anytime soon. Phones just don't last that long with heavy use. Even with charging stations in the park, who wants to spend precious time charging their phone? (Unless we are talking turbo charging)
Even with the locked charging stations, they would need a ton of them. People would complain if they weren't any available.
irock.jpg
upload_2014-9-9_16-22-48.jpeg
iphone-ipad-ipwn-ismack.png

FerretAfros

A couple article I have read on this say the new cards are coming in the next year, but not the pins, they will still collect signatures.
I've had a chip card for my Bank of America credit card since at least 2011, and I know that most other banks offer them as well. They're still somewhat uncommon, but widely available. Mine was automatically upgraded, but you can also request to get a card with the chip in it

That said, I've never had the chip scanned in the US, only when traveling abroad. I've never been asked for the PIN, so I'm not sure that I would know it even if I needed it

DisUniversal

Would be nice if the Apple Watch could be used as a replacement for a Magic Band, with the added benefit of being able to see/change your FP+ reservations right on your watch.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Even inside the US... Apple holds approx 40% market share in the US and only 18% world wide. Despite what you might hear.. "everyone" doesn't have an iPhone. Also those market share numbers are falling... and the drop is picking up speed. Today's announcement will have very little to do with Disney and a lot about ending the market share slide.

Also like was previously said, and mostly ignore... NFC is NOT RFID.. they are not the same technology. (Of course if Apple "invents" NFC the world will go crazy for it)

Wow, hate Apple much??? Actually, Apples market share rose from 41.4 to 42.4% from April to July this year, so not sure where you think it is dropping. o_O It is not dropping at all.

The world-wide numbers quoted by Gartner and other sites have an "Other" category that includes literally millions of phones that no one can even verify. It is actually the biggest piece of the pie, and has no basis in reality. The "analysts" mostly make up numbers to support whatever position they want to sell to their customer at that time.

Since the terminals will be NFC compliant, and some of the high-end Android phones have NFC, they will also work. This is not an Apple only solution.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom