Biergarten Vs Coral Reef

Beirgarten Vs. Coral Reef

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mrhappyplace

Original Poster
Got a pin code in the mail the other day so we've decided to book a Caribbean Beach trip for the end of April/beginning of May. Looking to do a lot of eating at the Flower and Garden festival but thinking of doing one Epcot table service. I haven't tried either of these yet and want to do one on this trip. My wife has done Biergarten before and is more interested in repeating that then trying Coral Reef but I think Coral Reef appeals to me more so let's let the forum vote.

lostpro9het

Got a pin code in the mail the other day so we've decided to book a Caribbean Beach trip for the end of April/beginning of May. Looking to do a lot of eating at the Flower and Garden festival but thinking of doing one Epcot table service. I haven't tried either of these yet and want to do one on this trip. My wife has done Biergarten before and is more interested in repeating that then trying Coral Reef but I think Coral Reef appeals to me more so let's let the forum vote.
Sorry, but I side with @myhappyplace. I'll say this, though, since you're at EC and its so close I highly recommend a side journey to the Swalphin for some Il Mulino action!

Mrhappyplace

Original Poster
Sorry, but I side with @myhappyplace. I'll say this, though, since you're at EC and its so close I highly recommend a side journey to the Swalphin for some Il Mulino action!

I've seen you recommend Il Mulino and keep it under consideration especially since it sounds like you can just show up and get a table without preplanning. But we have 7 nights and want to have a meal or two at Disney Springs (Morimoto/Boathouse) not sure we will have time for two sit down meals in the Epcot area.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
It's all about your tastes and dining style. My wife and I are both from German stock, love bier (not yellow fizzy water) , and are heavy-duty carnivores so Biergarten is just like a family meal to us...loud and rambunctious. Coral Reef has some wonderful food too...much more quiet, reserved dining, and the manager is from Fort Worth. You're not going to get ein Maß at the Reef, nor scallops at the Garten.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I have eaten at both and I have enjoyed my meal at both, but of the two I enjoyed the Biergarten more. I like the German food better, and the beer. Plus I love the band and their polka music. It is just a festive atmosphere. The Coral Reef is nice, but since I do not like seafood at all I am stuck with the land lubber dishes, which have been good. My husband likes seafood so he enjoyed his dishes at the Coral Reef more, yet he still likes the Biergarten better (and he doesn't like beer). The Coral Reef does have the view of the aquarium which for me makes up for the average land lubber food. I think if you are going for something romantic the Coral Reef would win over the Biergarten.

Minnie Mum

For us, it's not even close. Biergarten for sure. Good food, great beer, lively entertainment- what's not to like. Our 2 meals at Coral Reef have put it on our 'never again' list. On both occasions we had inexcusably long waits to be seated (an hour, and 45 minutes past our ADR time, respectively). Poor, inattentive and slow service. And overcooked, dried out entrees that had to be sent back. And then there were all of the kids who were allowed to run around, banging into tables. Ugh.

Plowboy

Biergarten without a doubt. Great food and drink and a very festive atmosphere. I know some dislike the seating (with strangers) at long tables, but in all our years of going there we've always had a great time. Our one visit to Coral Reef was on a par with a visit to the local Red Lobster. Nothing against Red Lobster, but when I'm at the world I want something a little more special.

Mrhappyplace

Original Poster
Got to say I'm surprised at the lack of support for Coral Reef. The other Epcot restaurant I had considered putting against Biergarten was Garden Grill but I'm thinking Biergarten would still easily win the poll.

matt9112

It's all about your tastes and dining style. My wife and I are both from German stock, love bier (not yellow fizzy water) , and are heavy-duty carnivores so Biergarten is just like a family meal to us...loud and rambunctious. Coral Reef has some wonderful food too...much more quiet, reserved dining, and the manager is from Fort Worth. You're not going to get ein Maß at the Reef, nor scallops at the Garten.

we need to hang out haha

LadyBelle

In the Parks
No
I'm 1,000% for Coral Reef! I prefer seafood and that does not disappoint. The view of the aquarium is awesome. You will even get to see the divers and the diving tour swim by and wave. The diver sometimes put on a little event for the diners. I saw a huge stingray when I was there last month.

I say enjoy the Coral Reef.

Tinkerfan4ever

Another vote for Coral Reef. I really enjoyed the food there and the atmosphere was relaxing. I really liked the big tank and we were able to view a scuba session, which was pretty neat. I have also been to Biergarten, and while I loved the band - I did not enjoy sitting at a table with people who were not part of my party. I am quite social and enjoy talking to other people, however you never know what you are going to get. The food was good, but I would much rather have a good fish and steak than sauerkraut and dumplings.

Weather_Lady

We love them both! But they offer very different experiences:

Biergarten is a boisterous, social experience where you may be seated with another family, and where the live music is upbeat and calls for some audience interaction (yelling out a toast, etc.). Of course, if the music doesn't get you out of your seat, your need to visit the buffet will! If you are comfortable chatting with others and enjoy serving yourself, diving into a big stein of beer and joining in a song now and then (and/or if you have small children and want to go somewhere that they are sure to find foods they like and won't bother anyone if they're noisy), Biergarten is for you.

Coral Reef is quieter and more intimate, with the only "entertainment" being the fish swimming lazily by in the aquarium, and where your food will be brought to you at the table. (If you opt for Coral Reef, ask for a seat in one of the bottom two rows, and tell them you'll wait longer if necessary to get one. The closer you are, the more immersive and fun the experience.) If you'd rather only chat with your own party, hate buffet lines and prefer a quieter, more upscale-style experience, Coral Reef might be more your speed.

Also, a note about the food: although the difference in serving style makes it difficult to compare the two, having eaten at both multiple times, I have to say that the food quality is equal between the two restaurants -- there are hits and misses both places, although the food at both is very good on average. What gives the edge to Biergarten, in my opinion, is that if you get something off of the buffet and find it lacking, you have twenty more options from which to choose. If you don't care for your entree at Coral Reef (which happened to me on my first visit there), you're stuck.

danyoung56

I've only eaten at the Biergarten once, and it was a really bad experience. I wasn't fond of the buffet, which seemed to be down to the leftovers. And the people I was seated with kept staring at me with terror in their eyes, as if I was gonna jump up at any minute and start stealing their food and punching their children!

The Coral Reef, on the other hand, has been one of my favorites for years. I always sit down by the glass (sometimes it's a bit more of a wait, but very well worth it). Service has almost always been impeccable, and the food has almost always been fresh and tasty (like at any restaurant that you frequent, you can occasionally get a bad waiter or so-so food, but it doesn't happen very often). It's a bigtime no-brainer for me - Coral Reef all the way!

Hockey89

I've only eaten at the Biergarten once, and it was a really bad experience. I wasn't fond of the buffet, which seemed to be down to the leftovers. And the people I was seated with kept staring at me with terror in their eyes, as if I was gonna jump up at any minute and start stealing their food and punching their children!!
Honest engine, you were growling at the table so that's why they were looking at you ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom