News 'Beyond Big Thunder Mountain' Blue Sky concept revealed for Magic Kingdom

_caleb

I disagree WDI is creatively bankrupt. Tokyo Disneyland attractions are still designed by WDI. The real issue is leadership. Tokyo Disneyland is still interested in providing a first class... make that world-class theme park experience.

Tokyo Disneyland is not interested in providing less for more. They're interested in providing the best.

The American Parks have been ruined by value engineering. The less is more mentality has completely taken over. The number one priority is always the financial, not the guest experience.

But when someone is willing to spend the money, like Tokyo Disneyland, I think WDI is still very much creative and able to produce a fantastic product.
I’m not sure there still is a “WDI” in the sense you’re using it here.

mitchk

This is actually an old plan with the expansion going that way it was originally going to house a stage show I believe was the original idea to expand to the right of big thunder mountain I guess they’re going to do something more ambitious because of the old epic universe coming down the street

_caleb

Has Disney ever presented vague blue sky concepts as "announcements" like this before? This really smells of desperation.
It’s marketing. The response to the Imagineering-related series on D+ have demonstrated that there is a fandom to be marketed to, so here they are. It literally costs them nothing to “dream” out loud, and the result is fans, podcasts, vlogs, and clickbait sites going nuts over what amount to armchair ideas. They’re just feeding the machine.

Next time I’m at MK, I fully expect to hear some guy confidently tourguiding strangers with, “What they REALLY want to do over here is a mini Coco Land!”

lazyboy97o

This is just my opinion....
But when has Disney ever totally rebuilt an existing attraction to keep it the same? being serious here cause I don't remember it.
So I wonder now if SSE redo, Imagination redo and say Space Mountain redo if they EVER happen, will mean new attractions rather than just updating what is.
Space Mountain at Disneyland was rebuilt. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad at Disneyland and Disneyland Paris had significant rebuilding work done. “It’s a small world” was heavily rebuilt at Disneyland. Space Mountain at Magic Kingdom was on the verge of being rebuilt.

_caleb

Space Mountain at Disneyland was rebuilt. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad at Disneyland and Disneyland Paris had significant rebuilding work done. “It’s a small world” was heavily rebuilt at Disneyland. Space Mountain at Magic Kingdom was on the verge of being rebuilt.
Not sure if they’d count as “rebuilds,” but Matterhorn was updated pretty significantly (and maybe worse for it). Jungle Cruise, Pirates, and Snow White have all seen major changes.

Tay

The 5th gate ship sailed imo once they decided to shoehorn SWL into HS... could have easily built a 5th gate based off SW and then whatever Marvel attractions they are allowed to use.... add in a Villains land and thats the basis for a great addition to your portfolio of parks... problem is this still doesnt solve your current capacity issues in the 4 parks now
Exactly! I think they need to build up and fix the 4 parks they have. Still plenty of space in all parks but DHS.

lazyboy97o

Not sure if they’d count as “rebuilds,” but Matterhorn was updated pretty significantly (and maybe worse for it). Jungle Cruise, Pirates, and Snow White have all seen major changes.
Matterhorn has been in chunks so that it is never entirely new, the Coaster of Theseus.

Those others have been updated but I was thinking more along big ride system change outs. I don’t think Pirates of the Caribbean has had the same sort of total flume replacement that was done at “it’s a small world”.

The Fantasyland dark rides are another example. I believe they were pretty significantly rebuilt for New Fantasyland in 83.

Ho-Hum

Maybe they will build these lands after they finish construction of the new Main Street Theater announced at the 2017 D23 Expo and the Mary Poppins attraction over at Epcot. Oh wait....

Sorry to Winnie-the-Pooh on your parade, but obviously most D23 dreams never become reality.

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
Exactly! I think they need to build up and fix the 4 parks they have. Still plenty of space in all parks but DHS.
Doesnt HS have a couple of expansion pads for both SWL and TSL? Also VotLM sitting dormant for how long now and hasnt Indy stunt show been discussed as a potential area for expansion beyondthe parks current boundaries?

Nthderivative

The amount of back fill that they are going to need for the realignment of Floridian Way is fairly substantial. This plan would require even larger burrow pits to be dug out in order to provide enough backfill in the areas behind MK - and I'm not even assuming that they will move forward with a hotel behind Splash. I'm not sure where they will be able to get this amount of sand cheaply in the general area. The construction of Epcot required sand to be trucked in from sandmines around Champions gate - I know this to be a fact.

SteamboatJoe

Not what I would've done back there (assuming this ever happens) but, unlike some other things they've done or are planning, I can at least see some the rationale.

Coco's Mexican vibe plays off the existing southwest Frontier theme. The Spanish language obviously ties Encanto in with Coco. The best way to execute this so as to provide some long term flexibility is to do it as a, for lack of a better term, Fiesta Village with both IPs living in the same general space as opposed to two distinct mini-lands. Something like that would allow for Three Caballeros or a rebooted Zorro to be slotted in later and not seem out of place. Its really not in line with the original Frontierland concept but I bet they want to move away from the Davey Crockett-esque iteration of Frontierland anyway due its problematic elements.

EDIT: The concept above was poorly described by me. I certainly didn't mean to imply all predominantly Spanish speaking countries are the same or interchangeable. They clearly aren't and thats not what I had in mind. I merely was trying to find some commonalities between them that might explain Disney's rationale for placing them in proximity to one another and solution to what I see as a potential long-term problem (IP specific lands). END EDIT

Villains obviously is playing off the darker Haunted Mansion vibe. Judging by the concept art, its the least flushed out concept. How the former and ladder transition to one another is a little harder to see. The concept art makes it look like Coco is closer to Big Thunder but Coco's Dia de Los Muertos focus clearly seems to be more of a thematic match with Mansion or villains. I am not a huge villains as a land guy so if they must go this route, I hope they dump the idea and give us Nightmare Before Christmas' Halloweentown instead.

I don't think doing any of this should require complete removal of Rivers of America. Ideally (at least ideally as it relates to this specific scenario), it should just shortened like what was done at Disneyland - the northern bend being significantly reduced, curving immediately behind Fort Langhorn. WDRR either gets subsequently pushed north/northwest to keep it on the periphery or pulled in closer to the new northern bend a la Disneyland but perhaps with a tunnel through the Villains section to keep it out of sight?

That said, if I were a betting man, I would put my money on a permanently docked riverboat with TSI and ROA as we know it ceasing to exist. It would allow them to reconfigure if not remove the canal used to to take the riverboat backstage for maintenance which makes extending pedestrian access north of Big Thunder much easier.

Last edited:

Disone

I’m not sure there still is a “WDI” in the sense you’re using it here.
I'm not sure I follow. Do not see / agree their creative juices flowing on the projects they're cranking out at Tokyo DisneySea? Those are WDI projects as well. They're just projects that Oriental land company is willing to spend on.

Whether or not those projects are too expensive is a different argument, but from a creative standpoint, I think WDI is still there. They're not creatively bankrupt.

peter11435

The amount of back fill that they are going to need for the realignment of Floridian Way is fairly substantial. This plan would require even larger burrow pits to be dug out in order to provide enough backfill in the areas behind MK - and I'm not even assuming that they will move forward with a hotel behind Splash. I'm not sure where they will be able to get this amount of sand cheaply in the general area. The construction of Epcot required sand to be trucked in from sandmines around Champions gate - I know this to be a fact.
Most of the backfil needed to build Epcot came from the property where CBR and Pop/Art are today. Galaxy’s edge came from across World Drive where a large lake is now located.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Most of the backfil needed to build Epcot came from the property where CBR and Pop/Art are today. Galaxy’s edge came from across World Drive where a large lake is now located.

Yeah, when you build on a chunk of land, you need to dig out somewhere else to provide storm water control so that becomes a source of at least some of your fill.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom