News 'Beyond Big Thunder Mountain' Blue Sky concept revealed for Magic Kingdom

LSLS

So, the my first question with this expansion talk, what happens fo the railroad, which goes directly through the center of these plots everyone is talking about?

G00fyDad

So..... any guesses (if this even goes forward) how long the WDW RR will be down again? It has taken this long with just ONE attraction across it. Imagine how long it will be down with all this. They may as well close it conpletely.

Cmdr_Crimson

Gotta wonder how big said footprints will be for "Said attractions" before it hits Floridian Way..
Screenshot_20220912-061613_Maps.jpg

bhg469

Has Disney ever presented vague blue sky concepts as "announcements" like this before? This really smells of desperation.
I cannot recall but it does feel like a knee jerk reaction to the Epic Universe news/progress. That project seems to be coming along very quickly and aside from the inevitable delay from the pandemic, they seem to be making very good progress.. I almost feel like even if Disney was ready to green light this, are there any resources to build it? Construction is booming in Orlando other places, the DAK project seems to be much closer to fruition.. I just don't know how they could build this until that is finished.

fgmnt

Lots of ifs. If RoA is truncated enough you could place show buildings wholly outside the berm, like Space and Pirates, and shut it down to dig out the underpass or build over the overpass in a much less onstage location than Tron. Could get an underpass done in a couple weeks imo.

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
I cannot recall but it does feel like a knee jerk reaction to the Epic Universe news/progress. That project seems to be coming along very quickly and aside from the inevitable delay from the pandemic, they seem to be making very good progress.. I almost feel like even if Disney was ready to green light this, are there any resources to build it? Construction is booming in Orlando other places, the DAK project seems to be much closer to fruition.. I just don't know how they could build this until that is finished.
Im just curious. Dinoland had/has 3 rides PW, TS & Dinosaur along with the boneyard for kids to play. Along with the games area. Im wondering maybe @ToTBellHop can give us some insight will the new land have just as many ride/attractions or will we be losing more capacity in a park that desperately needs it as well?

Door Coaster

Im just curious. Dinoland had/has 3 rides PW, TS & Dinosaur along with the boneyard for kids to play. Along with the games area. Im wondering maybe @ToTBellHop can give us some insight will the new land have just as many ride/attractions or will we be losing more capacity in a park that desperately needs it as well?
Per a previois BellHop post, TS is getting rethemed, a Moana-fied Splash Mountain replaces PW, Dinosaur is saved for phase 2/Zootopia roughly around 2027 if it's not cut.

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
Per a previois BellHop post, TS is getting rethemed, a Moana-fied Splash Mountain replaces PW, Dinosaur is saved for phase 2/Zootopia roughly around 2027 if it's not cut.
So this is actually a gain? We are exchanging PW for Splash 2.0 themed after Moana? Impressive

Thank you for the reply

LSLS

Gotta wonder how big said footprints will be for "Said attractions" before it hits Floridian Way..
View attachment 666205

Something SUBSTANTIAL would have to happen with the railway in my opinion. Either reroute it all up near the road (which would keep it along the perimeter), elevate it so it's not a hinderance to walking in the middle of the new land, or, scrap the RR altogether (which seems insane, but, I wouldn't rule it out either). I'd say most likely it gets rerouted around the perimeter, which means it would close until the new land(s) are done. Again, I think the chances of this happening are VERY low right now. There is no way it's ready for 2025, and I think it's a lot more likely they think they have substantially added to WDW for the next decade or so with what they have done recently. The people in charge right now seem to have 0 desire to add to WDW for the sake of adding to the park.

Door Coaster

Something SUBSTANTIAL would have to happen with the railway in my opinion. Either reroute it all up near the road (which would keep it along the perimeter), elevate it so it's not a hinderance to walking in the middle of the new land, or, scrap the RR altogether (which seems insane, but, I wouldn't rule it out either). I'd say most likely it gets rerouted around the perimeter, which means it would close until the new land(s) are done. Again, I think the chances of this happening are VERY low right now. There is no way it's ready for 2025, and I think it's a lot more likely they think they have substantially added to WDW for the next decade or so with what they have done recently. The people in charge right now seem to have 0 desire to add to WDW for the sake of adding to the park.
My own guess, based off the HK 3 land package in the early 2010's and ToTBellhop's post stating that Beyond Big Thunder would be well underway by 2027, is that Beyond Big Thunder would, if greenlit, break ground in 2026 and open in stages from 2028 to 2030-32 depending on how long it takes. That'd mean the railroad would be offline from 2026 to 2030-32.

Ghost93

The Marvel "attraction" (pointedly not called a ride in the presentation) doesn't seem much more than a Blue Sky concept right now either. Its artwork was just as nebulous and wishy-washy as the pieces for Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom. The only thing that differentiates it is Feige claiming they do have a story. But honestly what he said is the kind of stuff that can be cooked up in a ten minute brainstorm session. Tellingly, the crowd was rather unimpressed.
You know what DID make the crowd cheer? Villains! A VIllain land is such a no-brainer, as there is obviously a high demand for it. If they build a villain land north of Big Thunder Mountain, it would increase capacity AND increase park attendance.

I don't think Coco and Encanto seem like they will be full-on "lands" at the scale of Galaxy's Edge or Pandora. Rather it seems like both would be E-ticket attractions with very elaborate queues.

Ghost93

There is no way it's ready for 2025, and I think it's a lot more likely they think they have substantially added to WDW for the next decade or so with what they have done recently. The people in charge right now seem to have 0 desire to add to WDW for the sake of adding to the park.
Oh, I don't think they would actually move forward with a Villains/Encanto/Coco expansion until Epic Universe opens, and they are already falling behind. I think if this project were to ever be greenlit it wouldn't be ready until 2028-2030ish.

They should greenlight it now and not risk falling behind with the competition from Universal, but Chapek tends to be focused more on short-term profits rather than long-term gain.

Phicinfan

So to be clear, Disney is expanding the back of the park(behind Thunder) for all the Hispanic attractions? Yeah that won't be seen as an issue.
I love some of the concepts, just find it hard they will even get most of this ever done.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
View attachment 666179

If you’re willing to sacrifice Small World (as is), there are some options here this opens up…

SmallWorld 2.0, B&B ride from Tokyo, Tangled bathrooms get an attraction, New Orleans Square, Coco, Villains, Encanto, a second entrance themed to Shanghai Mickey Ave, Premium Parking directly attached, and a Princess Themed hotel
That's a whole 'nother park. If you're going to spend 5th gate money, why not just build a 5th gate?

Ragerunner

Coco and Encanto would be mini lands. They could get one of those under construction by 2024/2025. They could potentially open that first mini land by late 2026 or early 2027. (If they don’t pull another Tron.)
I think the Moana area at Animal Kingdom will be the first to open. It looked the most thought out. It’s mainly one new ride and a rethemed spinner.

So potential timeline:
2023: Tron
2024: Tiana’s River Bayou
2025/2026: Moana opens in 2 phases (spinner and land first, river ride second)
2026: Coco or Enchanto

Villains: If they only build a land they are crazy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom