Bette Midler and a lottery ticket?

One Lil Spark

EPCOT Center Defender
Original Poster
Does anyone else remember a walk through attraction in MGM perhaps in the very early 90s with Bette Midler and a lottery ticket?

I can remember as a kid watching the 'movie' and then walking through sets to show how the movie was created. There was a pigeon involved, her high heel breaking, being on the side of a building, etc.

Can someone confirm this did exist so I don't feel crazy?

Thanks! :wave:

slappy magoo

don't remember the attraction's name, but it was a pseudo educational approach to illustrating various special effects in the movies. So, I can't say you're not crazy :p but you didn't imagine this. It was in MGM the same time as the Chevy Chase- Martin Short monster sound show & Superstar Television. Attractions that might all seem dated now, in an era of digital effects & dgital editing they seem even more quaint now than they did then, but I liked 'em

One Lil Spark

EPCOT Center Defender
Original Poster
I think it might have been a part of the original Backlot Tour if memory serves. It might have been exclusively shot at MGM and then the tour walked you through how a sound stage/blue screens could create an entire movie. I could be wrong though.

Glad to know I'm not crazy... :lol:

Number_6

It was part of the original backlot tour as I recall, when they used to actually have Disney-MGM was a functional studio. There was a walking portion that went through the sound stages, followed by the tram segment. That commercial I think had been for the New York lottery and was filmed there. They used to have monitors showing different celebrities talking about working in movies or something along those lines. I saw them filming Lou Gossett Jr for one. Also got to see them filming an old Toys R Us commercial.

Edit: I was looking for the commercial that I saw being filmed on YouTube . Couldn't find it though. But yeah, the fact that you seem to remember it from the old backlot tour too means we're remembering it correctly.

yankspy

I think it might have been a part of the original Backlot Tour if memory serves. It might have been exclusively shot at MGM and then the tour walked you through how a sound stage/blue screens could create an entire movie. I could be wrong though.

Yep. It was part of the backlot tour.

Carolwood

Yes it was very real, it was part of the backstage tour when the studios first opened. I believe the movie was entitled "The Lottery". It was a great attraction showing how movies are made. As I remember you watched the Lottery movie first then a second film a behind the scenes type film showing how it was made . Then upon exiting the film you were taken on guided tour of sorts showing various sets and props used in the movie. Anyone else remember it that way or am I dreaming to? I wish it was still there as it really showed what goes into making a movie. It was far better than some of the garbage its been replaced with...but I digress.

One Lil Spark

EPCOT Center Defender
Original Poster
From IMDB:
The Lottery was the first film ever to be completely filmed at the Disney-MGM Studios theme park in Florida. The film was used to demonstrate general filmmaking, the use of exterior sets and soundstage sets, special effects and stunts.

Eeyore

Mrs. WDWMAGIC [Assistant Administrator]
Premium Member

That's exactly what it was. Back in the days when the backlot tour was worth seeing and it took half a day to do. That's when they had the bee from honey I shrunk the kids too. As others have said the short was called "The Lottery" it was about a vocal/singing coach living in NYC that wins the lottery but the ticket blows out the window. She then experiences many mishaps as she chases after the ticket, including nearly being hit by a subway. You can still see some of the props (including the subway train) when you walk through the prop storage before boarding the current tram tour. Ah the good ole days! :animwink:

One Lil Spark

EPCOT Center Defender
Original Poster
That's exactly what it was. Back in the days when the backlot tour was worth seeing and it took half a day to do. That's when they had the bee from honey I shrunk the kids too. As others have said the short was called "The Lottery" it was about a vocal/singing coach living in NYC that wins the lottery but the ticket blows out the window. She then experiences many mishaps as she chases after the ticket, including nearly being hit by a subway. You can still see some of the props (including the subway train) when you walk through the prop storage before boarding the current tram tour. Ah the good ole days! :animwink:

Thanks for the explanation Beth! :D

I also was chosen to ride the bee from HISTK and wondered if this was the same area. Back in the early 90s my family spent a lot of time at Universal where there was a tour that let you taste slime and watch tapings of Double Dare and Clarissa Explains It All. Just wanted to make sure this was part of WDW.

Have a fabulous day. :wave:

Eeyore

Mrs. WDWMAGIC [Assistant Administrator]
Premium Member
Thanks for the explanation Beth! :D

I also was chosen to ride the bee from HISTK and wondered if this was the same area. Back in the early 90s my family spent a lot of time at Universal where there was a tour that let you taste slime and watch tapings of Double Dare and Clarissa Explains It All. Just wanted to make sure this was part of WDW.

Have a fabulous day. :wave:

My brother and I were chosen for the bee scene too. We are both really shy and were so embarrassed! :eek: It was interesting though and we'll never forget it. We were told by the cm at the time "come on it'll be fun!" anytime I hear those words from a cm now- I run in the other direction. :lol:

I hope you have a fabulous day too! :wave:

LoveDory

Backlot was my absolute favourite thing at MGM !!!!! Wish they didn't get rid of it.

I remember looking everywhere for the film "The Lottery" on video/dvd. As far as I know it was a real film!

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy

Now don't jump to conclusions....nobody said that.....
:zipit:

mikeymouse

I remember looking thru windows on a balcony hallway at the set of Lets Make a Deal. I remember the "stunt" shopping cart prop used in the movie.

wilary

This was back went there were two Backstage attractions. There was the tram ride which you entered over by the Animation Building.

Then, there was the walking tour which included the water tank exhibit, a special effects lab with the bee thing, a program on the making of the Lottery Ticket Movie and a tour of the active soundstages. There was a walkway over the soundstages so you could see what was going on. When I took the tour last, we saw the Mickey Mouse Club set and some of the Mouseketeers going through rehearsals.

heliumalias

The last thing I remember them using those walkways for was still part of a backlot tour but when WWTBAM was there and they used to get the phone a complete stranger from wither the walkway or the street and you would be overlooking the set.

WDWRLD

The lions head that she was hanging from as she tried to get the ticket from outside from I thing a pigeon is also in the prop warehouse. If you walk into streets of america from the HISTA set look up and across the street to see the same lions heads. The whole short film was shot there. And Lets Make A Deal was shot there two. I went to one of the tapings.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom