Best way to sell old gear

thomas998

Anyone have any suggestions on the best place to sell old photographer gear?

Thanks.
Depends on the type of gear you are selling.

If it is collectible stuff then ebay may be your best bet. In general the large stores that buy stuff are going to give you a fraction of what you can get for things vs what you could get if you are patient and willing to take some time and list it on criagslist or the ebay. Out of curiosity I once tried Adorama to unload some old Leica equipment just because I didn't feel like taking time to do it myself. They wouldn't give me a price until they saw the stuff, even after I sent in photos where were very detailed of the equipment from every angle it was still a oh we need to see it make sure, but if you don't want to sell it we'll gladly ship it back at our expense... Well what the heck, I tried them... Their price was an insult to my intelligence, and they tried to get me to trade the equipment for other items, the cash price was pretty much the value of 1 lens and 1 body and I had sent them 3 complete kits with 3 lenses per body... Naturally I just said send it back... which they did but which took over two weeks and one kit was poorly packed resulting in some scratches to two of the lens barrels... So I will strongly discourage you from using Adorama and strongly suggest you don't waste your time with any company that is going to resell the equipment because you will pretty much be just as well off going to a local pawn shop.

Frankly if you can just sell it yourself, its a hassle but its the only way you will ever get what the equipment is actually worth.

If the stuff isn't high value then just sell it in a garage sale and you'll probably get about as much as you would anywhere else and probably more than a dealer would pay.

Other option is to donate it to a place like Goodwill and take the tax write off if you itemize.

BigRedDad

I went the eBay route. I sold my 2 lenses in 3 hours. My camera body is still listed and I am letting it ride. I will lower it if I don't get an offer in a week or so. The problem with selling direct is some people want painstaking information. eBay at least makes it easier.

drizgirl

I've had great luck selling lenses on Craigslist. I am very thorough in my descriptions, I make it clear up front what my lowest price is, and I meet people in front of the local police station. And you don't have to pay the outlandish Ebay fees.

ptaylor

Premium Member
Original Poster
I went the eBay route. I sold my 2 lenses in 3 hours. My camera body is still listed and I am letting it ride. I will lower it if I don't get an offer in a week or so. The problem with selling direct is some people want painstaking information. eBay at least makes it easier.
Wow that was quick. What were the lenses?

BigRedDad

They were Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 and 70-200mm f/2.8. Both sold for $10 less than BIN price. They sold for $100 combined more than I expected.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom